Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Ok so i have had this opel gt it was my first car my dad gave it to me when i was 10 even though it never ran and i started a restoration i always kept it around just because of its uniqueness now im only 16 but me and my dad have been building thing all of my life and now that he is restoring his 1957 corvette and getting it back on the road i want to get my gt on the road also what i want to do with it is put a v6 chevy engine in it. now im new so what is my best bet for the size of the engine. also how hard will it be to put in and what modifications will i have to do like where should i mount the engine for best handling and weight transfer. also what is the best transmission and rear end or will the stock gt rear end survive the v6 power. thanks for reading please help me make my gt dream true respond.:)

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Jake - Search, Search, Search... Check out the "Articles" forum where Namba209 details his V6 transplant. Look in the "Engine swap" forum for other conversions. There are a lot of threads about mods to increase the HP of the 1.9 C.I.H motor and improving the drive train.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jake - Search, Search, Search... Check out the "Articles" forum where Namba209 details his V6 transplant. Look in the "Engine swap" forum for other conversions. There are a lot of threads about mods to increase the HP of the 1.9 C.I.H motor and improving the drive train.
thanks gary

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
69's are RARE!

There are many on opinions circling as to whether GT's should or should not be converted to v6 or v8. I can understand the desire to have a beefy motor under the hood and get some respect at the hot rod shows.

However a word of caution. You have a 1969 GT, VERY RARE. 1968 was the first production year with only a handful made and 1969 was the first year they really started selling larger quantities. Still 1969's are RARE. I would suggest keeping your 69 STOCK and find another 70-73 to beef up and have fun with. I'm sure there are many rust free clean GT's in AZ to have fun with.

Best Wishes, Neil

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
what type of transmission should i use that will best fit.
Well that all depends, are you talking about a transmission for a souped up OPEL motor or a transmission for a V6 domestic motor?

You can do a 2.2L or 2.4L Opel motor with either carb or fuel injection and use the getrag 5 speed transmission with the Chevy S-10 clutch, (you'll also need to beef up the braking system)

Or if you do a V6 like Ron (Namba209) did, you can use whatever auto or manual transmission that matches up with that engine. Keep in mind the closer you get from the stock OPEL 105HP to the likely 150-200HP with the Camaro V6... you'll have to find a differential, or even entire donor rear end for the car!

BTW I hope you considered my suggestion of preserving your VERY RARE 69 GT and doing this project on another year GT.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a 1969 opel gt i will trade it for a 1970-73 because im going to put a v6 in to it.:):confused::veryhappy:D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
BRAVO excellent response! The opel community thanks you! Check the VIN numbers and find out if it's a 68 or 69. 69 is rare... 68 is EXTREMELY rare.
68's and some 69's will have a split 2 piece front bumper. Post some pics of it online here. You may also want to talk to Jim at USA Opels/ Opels Forever. He may be interested in a 68 or 69 and may have a later year (to sell or trade?) Worth talking to him about.

·
69 opel gt
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
response

ok so i uploaded some pics i herd something about the door handles being at different heights on the door in 68 and mine are also i put some other pics
also is it safe if i put a pic of my vin number on this website.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Jake,

Putting a pic of your vin number doesn't threaten your vehicle's title. I doubt anyone here would try to steal a VIN#. And you can always go to your local authorities that handle vehicle title and registration and show them your vehicle if you did have any problems.

A few other things unique to 68 & 69 GT's: Some have 2 piece front bumper, there is no plastic tray that goes around the emergency brake, only a vinyl boot, and if you look in the dash between the speedometer and tachometer you will see the 5 small lights for headlights, right and left turn signal etc are SQUARE instead of round like other years.

Best suggestion I can make though is get your VIN # and check the numbers.
I know this website can be very confusing when you first start restoring.

If you ever need a question answered and you don't know where to start, go to the SEARCH query and type in what you're looking for. It will bring up any postings that have that word or topic. Some members (not me) get a bit irritable when folks ask questions that have been run asked and discussed many times, before ever using the search query.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
69 Dashboard

I just looked at the pics of your GT. The 5 lights on your dash are round not square.

Also here's a link to a pic of a 69 GT I used to own. You will see the square light indicators, and the ash tray instead of being all metal has a vinyl cover, and the turn signal lever on the side of the steering column will have a button on the end of it (for high beams) instead of pulling the lever back.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachments/general-discussions/19033d1223836461-1969-gt-100_9915.jpg

·
Opeler
381 Posts
I just looked at the pics of your GT. The 5 lights on your dash are round not square.

Also here's a link to a pic of a 69 GT I used to own. You will see the square light indicators, and the ash tray instead of being all metal has a vinyl cover, and the turn signal lever on the side of the steering column will have a button on the end of it (for high beams) instead of pulling the lever back.

http://www.opelgt.com/forums/attachments/general-discussions/19033d1223836461-1969-gt-100_9915.jpg
That's very interesting. My first GT, which unfortunately got totaled, was a 1970 model year but had most of what you describe for the 69'. I wonder when if they continued to use up leftover inventory of 69' interior pieces on the 1970's. Mine was had a date of mfg of November 1969 and had the square dash indicator lights and padded vinyl ash tray lid, but not the high beam button. I kept the instrument bezel and ash tray and installed them on my 71' because I think they look better than the later ones.

·
Opeler
381 Posts
I just thought I'd mention this in case your looking for a different GT to build.

I was leaving a pick n pull in my GT on Friday and a guy flagged me down and asked me if I wanted to buy a 1970 GT that he's got. It seems he picked it up from someone who just wanted it out of the garage (there's more to the story). It is complete minus the seats and door panels and the body has already been stripped down to bare metal. The only rust I saw was on the car was on the rocker panels. It looked like a great starter for a project car. He told me he'd sell me it for $500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts