Opel GT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1969 Opel GT for sale. 1.9L 4 speed. Car is mechanically sound with a lot of work finished. It is a great driver and ready for someone to put their stamp on it and take it to the next level cosmetically. Great weekend car and ready to go. All exterior lighting works. Headlights function and turn on when flipped.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Asking $5000. Car located in San Pedro, CA.

Car has clean title and is currently registered. The history on the car is mostly unknown. I pulled it from a field in the Mojave desert about 3 years ago. The car was long out of the DMV system. I got it re-registered and running. Odo has about 55k miles on it but who knows.

As far as I can tell, paint is original. Rear panel had extensive dent that I pulled out, filled and repainted. PO had previously painted rear panel black, so I matched the look. Otherwise body is pretty sound. The drivers side fender is a bit crumpled and there are other dents and dings.

Engine has not been rebuilt but is strong. Happily revs to 5-6000 rpm. Car idles smoothly and overheating is never an issue even in so cal thanks to the passenger side fuel input on Weber, heat shield and new fan blade and shroud.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

Car is virtually rust free. Lower body pan under battery tray has hole. There was a pinhole or two that I repaired in the tray under the front seats. The largest seemed to be from contamination from a crude weld repair on the driver’s seat rail.

Car currently has two Miata seats installed. I have the original seats but they are in bad condition and will need complete rebuild. Old seats are included.

Only departure from original that I am aware of is the wheels and the Weber.

The heater is bypassed as well as the ammeter, both very common on GTs. Front window has some scratches from wiper arms and a two pinholes that need repaired.
Tableware Hood Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Car has a basic interior installed. It needs a dash cover or complete replacement. I have headliner but it is not installed yet. I also have a 1968 1.9L engine block and head that I will include in the deal.

Here is my to list and list of items finished/replaced.

I am from the freight industry and am comfortable working with your freight forwarder if the buyer is considering shipping to Europe.

To do
Washer spray nozzles
Insta Headliner
Need Spare wheel and tire
Replace rear window gasket
Replace side window gaskets
Polish rear glass
Repair front window
Cover steering wheel
Repair interior light and door switches
Replace turn signal stalk
Repair/replace dash
Fix instrument lighting
Needs new speedo cable
Needs new 1969 backup light switch

Done
New Radiator
New Starter
New Plugs and wires
New Water pump
New fan belt
New Cap and rotor
New New coil
New header gasket
New Radiator hoses
New Fan blade fan shroud
New Fan blade
New Weber 32/38 Carburetor
New Weber snorkel kit
New soft Brake lines
New caliper boots
New Brake pads
New muffler
Replaced resonator
New shocks
New front control arm bushings
Replaced steering linkage bushings
Replaced throttle linkage bushings
New battery tray
New battery
Repaired horns
Repaired windshield wipers
Replaced mirrors
Replaced front windshield gasket
Replaced angle drive speedometer
Added Miata seats
New radio
New speakers
New master cylinder seals
3 new tires
Ammeter bypass
New fuel tank sender
New seat belts
Repaired parking brake handle
New parking brake boot
New gear shift boot

Reach out for more info.

Car Automotive parking light Sky Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
Looking your vehicle, I'm very keen...
I'm located in Melbourne Australia, I see you're very close to the port!
Just seems like the bits are falling into place :) All of the very best
Mark

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the interest. Yes, supper close to the port. Close enough to hear the foghorns and the containers clanking.

I did reply to your message. Let me know if you need more info.

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the interest. Yes, supper close to the port. Close enough to hear the foghorns and the containers clanking.

I did reply to your message. Let me know if you need more info.

Matt

Hey Matt , I live in Colorado and interested in your gt , is it still for sale ? Also what's leaking in the one picture ? Papo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. If the post is up the car is still available. The “leak” i think you are referring to is just something in the parking lot where I took the pics. Must’ve been a drainpipe or something. The car has new hoses, new radiator and new water pump, so definitely no coolant leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Matt , the crumbling you mentioned is that the one picture with dents on rear driver side fender or something else on front fender ? I am interested but seeing more work than I first thought so thinking hard on this one . Maybe we could speak out of forum , my email is [email protected] thanks , papo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for a good GT to save and return to its former glory. This looks up my alley in the way of repairs and that color is classic. Is it still available?
I contacted auto shipping and they can apparently come and get it any day and ship it to me in Colorado.
Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello, I'm looking for a good GT to save and return to its former glory. This looks up my alley in the way of repairs and that color is classic. Is it still available?
I contacted auto shipping and they can apparently come and get it any day and ship it to me in Colorado.
Let me know, thanks!
When looking at an Opel GT, you best wear a blindfold. Don't look for a paint job, you best look at the meat and taters first. I have bought GT's that looked pretty, but ended up being parts cars, and then I have bought GT's that Fred Flintstone owned and fully restored them. Take a magnet, flashlight, and if allowed, something to poke with. in front of and behind all the tires (DON'T POKE SOMEONE'S NEW PAINT JOB) as well as along the "frame seams" of the rear tires, check carefully, and LOOK AT THE SEAMS, are they missing? If so, you got the possible spray foam and bondo going on. LOOK for any bubbles or cracks, if so you got holes rotted thru the steel and water is trying to get out. Any rot behind the front tires could mean serious trouble for your engine mounting, as well as door hinges staying where they need to. Any rot between the door and rear tire and you have the potential for rotted flooring and weak track bar supports. One place often over looked and should always be poked is the front shock tower rails, if they are badly rusted, it could be disaster on the first sharp curve. Is the engine support, front suspension support or transmission support bent? Good sign that the car has had a lot of problems mechanically and the PO was not very careful about where they wrapped the chain to pull it around. Most of the time a jack will not bend the support rails, but tuggin with a chain will !! Look for dangling wires, never a good sign on a GT. Engine oil leaks, ha, ha try finding an older one that did not leak....but a leak at the rear tube that mounts to the differential, well that could mean trouble. What the hell what that "thump" when you let off the clutch, LOL, we all been there, just a broken rubber torq tube mount, sounds horrible, but an easy fix. Do your research before you buy. I am a firm believer that it is better to pay more now, then a hell of a lot more later. And NEVER and I MEAN NEVER believe the "ran great when parked" line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am happy to update this thread that I am the happy and proud new owner of this gem of a GT. This is my 1st GT but I have been following these cars since I was a kid and am no stranger to rebuilding things.
I look forward to reading more of the awesome and helpful threads on this forum as I continue working to bring this car back to its former glory.
Thanks @mbasura for all youve done for this car thus far and working with me on purchasing and shipping, much appreciated sir.

Shawn

·
Vendor
3,084 Posts
I am happy to update this thread that I am the happy and proud new owner of this gem of a GT. This is my 1st GT but I have been following these cars since I was a kid and am no stranger to rebuilding things.
I look forward to reading more of the awesome and helpful threads on this forum as I continue working to bring this car back to its former glory.
Thanks @mbasura for all youve done for this car thus far and working with me on purchasing and shipping, much appreciated sir.

Shawn
Congrats and welcome to the community. Looks like a fun project. Keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
2 Posts
1969 Opel GT for sale. 1.9L 4 speed. Car is mechanically sound with a lot of work finished. It is a great driver and ready for someone to put their stamp on it and take it to the next level cosmetically. Great weekend car and ready to go. All exterior lighting works. Headlights function and turn on when flipped. View attachment 437196
Asking $5000. Car located in San Pedro, CA.

Car has clean title and is currently registered. The history on the car is mostly unknown. I pulled it from a field in the Mojave desert about 3 years ago. The car was long out of the DMV system. I got it re-registered and running. Odo has about 55k miles on it but who knows.

As far as I can tell, paint is original. Rear panel had extensive dent that I pulled out, filled and repainted. PO had previously painted rear panel black, so I matched the look. Otherwise body is pretty sound. The drivers side fender is a bit crumpled and there are other dents and dings.

Engine has not been rebuilt but is strong. Happily revs to 5-6000 rpm. Car idles smoothly and overheating is never an issue even in so cal thanks to the passenger side fuel input on Weber, heat shield and new fan blade and shroud. View attachment 437192

Car is virtually rust free. Lower body pan under battery tray has hole. There was a pinhole or two that I repaired in the tray under the front seats. The largest seemed to be from contamination from a crude weld repair on the driver’s seat rail.

Car currently has two Miata seats installed. I have the original seats but they are in bad condition and will need complete rebuild. Old seats are included.

Only departure from original that I am aware of is the wheels and the Weber.

The heater is bypassed as well as the ammeter, both very common on GTs. Front window has some scratches from wiper arms and a two pinholes that need repaired. View attachment 437198

Car has a basic interior installed. It needs a dash cover or complete replacement. I have headliner but it is not installed yet. I also have a 1968 1.9L engine block and head that I will include in the deal.

Here is my to list and list of items finished/replaced.

I am from the freight industry and am comfortable working with your freight forwarder if the buyer is considering shipping to Europe.

To do
Washer spray nozzles
Insta Headliner
Need Spare wheel and tire
Replace rear window gasket
Replace side window gaskets
Polish rear glass
Repair front window
Cover steering wheel
Repair interior light and door switches
Replace turn signal stalk
Repair/replace dash