Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my GT up for sale next week. It will be posted on Craigslist first (they charge $5 now for car sales). I am finishing up the carpets, replacing the door/window track rubber this weekend. It was featured in Hemmings in 2014

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/07/12/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1969-opel-gt/

The asking price will be $8900. What I know that needs done is the fuel sending unit, tank cleaned, clock does not work, and the dome light does not work. The Hemmings add says "Heat and vents, Oil pressure gauge needs rewired, Radio does not function– no speakers, Cracked dash-covered with custom dash mat designed for Opel, An oil leak that has been there since I bought it. It loses less than 1/4 pint in 750 miles. Gas gauge is off." The heater has been fixed, oil pressure gauge and all of the engine harness was replaced, modern radio was added, and dash recovered. Cracked plastic fusebox was replaced with a metal version.

I will add some finished pictures this weekend. Attached are some in work pictures. My daughter is turning 16 and I will need a third car for the household so my toy goes up for sale.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Whats up Man? The GT is perfect for a 16 yr old. Sporty and not too fast. She'll thank you later...
That is a tough one. Biggest issue for me would be safety. I may start a thread on the pros and cons of putting a 16 year old (or a 20 year old for that matter) into a classic car.
Then again, maybe I won't.

Pretty good discussion here, although much of the discussion centers around the high horsepower classic, which would not apply to a stock Opel. Still, many of the safety concerns are the same.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98498

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I looks good and the rebuild was spot on. I like others would keep the Opel and find her something safety oriented to drive. I didn't want my son in my Gt when he was young, but he grew out of the "Kid" phase and now I trust his driving implicity. Good luck, it is a sweet ride. Jarrell

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
That is a tough one. Biggest issue for me would be safety. I may start a thread on the pros and cons of putting a 16 year old (or a 20 year old for that matter) into a classic car.
Then again, maybe I won't.

Pretty good discussion here, although much of the discussion centers around the high horsepower classic, which would not apply to a stock Opel. Still, many of the safety concerns are the same.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98498
Good discussion on that site too. I kept my Gt and I'll let my son drive it, but he is 31 now. When he was 16, no. Jarrell

·
Registered
310 Posts
Spot on

For what its worth, from someone who always seems to over pay for cars (other than Bimmers; always seem to get the deals on Bimmers) I think you are spot on with the pricing.

It isn't a $25k show car, but looks like a good solid driver.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received a number of emails and a couple calls. Only one person has come to take a look but they were just kicking tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts