Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere I read it seems that the 69 rear ends are bad.
What can I check on mine or What usually goes out or bad?
It seem to be fine when I had it on the road.
I have a rear end out of a 70 or 71 Opel GT. Which one should I
rebuild the 69 or 70......????

Thanks,
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Any pre-1971 rear axle is vulnerable. The later axles have a full press-on axle bearing assembly (normal inner/outer race type bearing). The early rear ends use an open bearing assembly, where there IS an outer race, but the inner race is the axle itself. So if the bearing goes bad, the axle is ruined. Also, those bearings are NOT available any longer, as they were made strictly for Opel, they do not cross-over to another vehicle. The early axles were retained by c-clips as well, so to remove the axles from the diff housing you must remove the diff cover, remove the clips, unbolt the backing plates, and then remove the axle. Later ones were more durable, easier to disassemble, and parts are still available. Low gear lube levels seem to really exaggerate the wear of early axles, and I'd suggest using heavier gear lube for protection instead of opting for lighter weight gear oil for mileage.

Bob

·
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

If what you say is true (which I know it is) then I dont have a
69 rear end because I pulled the rear axle out without taking
off the diff. cover and the bearing looks sealed and pressed on.
Sooo Theeerreeee wweeee gooooo.........another problem
solved.

Thanks again,
Stanley

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Either that or someone forgot to put the clips back in! In which case you're f****d.....

Seriously though, it sounds like the you've got the later rear axle which is awesome for you. The guts from any Manta or GT rear end can be installed (although axles are longer from a Manta), and limited slips are still available if desired. The c-clip type limited slips are virtually unheard of these days and mega $$$$.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Another problem would be finding a bearing with the proper OD and depth to fit the rear axle housing. The ID is not as critical, as the axle itself could be machined or sleeved. Years ago I tried to find a proper bearing, but the OD did not jive with anything commercially available from SKF, Fafner, or FAG at that time.

Bob

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Thanks, Bob. Does the 1.1L axle have the same concerns...any aftermarket bearings that could be adapted to fit it?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
I don't know, I've never worked on a 1.1 rear axle (or engine for that matter, other than carb adjustments). I'm sure someone more well-versed in the way of the 1.1 Opels can help out?

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts