Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine currently owns my old GT.

Unfortunately due to circumstances out of his control he hasn't really had the time to drive the car.

So it sat for basically the past 4-6 months (not really sure how long).

Well he went out to it the other day and it wouldnt crank (battery went dead from setting in my opinion.)

After he jumped it off, and got it to run he decided to drive it.

When he went to drive it as soon as he would let out on the clutch (with gas depressed) the car would move forward a little and then just die.

As long as he kept his foot on the clutch, it would run fine for him but as soon as he started moving it it died.

One thought here is maybe his vacuum retard is a little loose (no probably not that because he would still be able to give it gas to keep it from dieing.)

Also the car has an electronic ignition with the points eliminated.

Thanks for any help possible,
Sean

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Almost sounds like a vac-leak. The electronics may be adjusting for idle but it may be overwelmed at a load condition. Just a thought.

·
179 Posts
Does the car roll ok in neutral? If not, could it be a stuck brake line? Maybe the emergency break froze.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Gas tends to get old after 4-6 months. The primary jets might be clogged in the carb. And there's adiaphram in the carb that will crack if left for too long. This is where the accelerator pump is. It adds extra gas when you step on the pedal so the engine can handle the extra load. If it is crackes then you have a vacuum leak. That plus an octane rating of 70 in the old gas would make any car not go. My old 69 wouldn't idle if I put Texaco gas in it.
If you have an old Solex carb, you might want to replace it with a weber. Webers are much more forgiving than the solex.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has a weber in it that was brand new (before I sold him the car)

When I get a chance I'll check out the carb for him.

I also thought about the brakes as well, but I know he managed to make it a couple miles down the road with it somehow (Think the brakes would have given him more trouble.)

Hopefully it will be a vacuum leak.

Gotta get that gas out of it (Hopefully he doesn't have much in it.)

Now if I can talk him into not giving up on it.

Sean

BTW First Opel I like your sig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts