Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we got allot done today since my introduction post I posted. My customer wants this to be a good driver quality restoration. So Ill keep my words short and let the pictures do the talking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By mid next week the engine will be dropped out and we will start rebuilding front end and rear end. Oh and yes it did come with a radiator. I sent it out to NAPA to get rebuilt, Just trying to save the guy $599. Thanks OpelGTsource.com for the great wide variety of parts you have. They will be getting a big order in by next week!

·
Patrick
861 Posts
Very cool... However you have a long way to go to the top (not trying to be negative)... keep climbing.. Looks good so far. You're going in the right direction....Keep climbing:cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.. If you mean climbing business wise you are right. I only take in projects like this during the winter and sometimes summers. Only because my son is out of school those seasons. We are only a three man shop when my son is there and I can't get anyone more reliable than my son and my family friend that works there year round. I wish I could find people like that. :confused: :banghead:

·
Registered
248 Posts
See I keep telling my husband that stuff has got to come out

to paint it or it ain't going to look right, if it was his 1940 Chevy out back, he would be stripping it to a complete shell, the only reason I got it this far was because I just started popping out the windows myself (not the first time I have removed Opel windows) I spent a day underneath it (raised up by the creeky forklift) cleaning the undercarriage. I want to do the undercoating and then paint but if the front and rear are not coming out, I guess we paint and then undercoat so it is ALL black, no way we are going to get the them black and the wheel wells to match the car and have it look right unless they are removed for paint! You should see me now, I am covered in grease, I'll take pics and show you what I did to the alternator & coil today too, tomorrow pics. Love all the aluminum parts that can be polished. No I do not sit in the house filing my nails while I wait for my car to be finished :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
now I had forgot to mention that the owner has made a decision to repaint the whole car so this weekend the interior will be disassembled and maybe parts of the exterior also!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not a bad looking chassis for a New Jersey GT but it looks like you're getting to the restoration just in time as it looks like the elements are starting to have it's way there in some areas.

Looks to be Koni shocks in the rear along with the classic Ansa exhaust. Coupled with a 2.0 motor, tells me this owner is in the know about GT's. Best of luck with the resto. It'll be fun to check in as progress moves forward....

Best Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sure makes me glad I live in Arizona. I did have a battery board at one time too though. They should have come that way from the factory. :)

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Two Words, to both of you: Oven Cleaner.

Not on the aluminum stuff, just the metal parts.

Metal parts, get a five gallon bucket with a gallon of royal purple.

Add water, soak for two days.

Vinegar, 5 gallons in a bucket is cheap.

Paint thinner, get a bucket you can cover at night.

Buy the paint thinner at an automotive paint store, and throw five gallons in the gas tank for a week.

Thank me later, pm me for questions.

P.S. Synthetic, grease, brake fluid, trans fluid, ETC.

·
1,875 Posts
Nice! A very complete job you're doing on a sweet car. Glad to see you're not cutting corners nor taking short cuts. Great job on posting the pics as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey, opelgt forum. Finally found some time to post some pictures. Allot has been done. got the interior out, gas tank out, dash out, most of the wiring, brake and fuel lines, ect. . The dash was some PITA to get out. I used some kind of flexible screw driver to get those screws on the top out :banghead: . I have to say that the wiring underneath it is trashed. So many people must have been under there installing radios, there even a rigged up ignition switch. Most wires are frayed. It scares be how the headlight wiring looks :ugh: .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts