Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice looking GT-inside and out. I didn't recognize the AC console. Non-GM?
Cheers,
Ron in FL
mecum gt.jpg
mecum gt-2.jpg

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pictures can be deceiving, but the car looks immaculate except for the steering wheel. The 1970 models came with a foam padded wheel, the foam often deteriorating after a while. The common fix was the laced cover that is shown on this car. Given the overall condition of the car, one might wonder why the seller did not replace the wheel with a leather-covered item. They are available.

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
Nice looking GT, but I agree the steering wheel could have been upgraded to match the nice interior. Does no reserve mean the car will sell at whatever the highest bid is? And any guess at what that GT will sell for?

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, no reserve so the highest bid will take the car. Opels have done well in other Mecum auctions. This one looks very nice (engine bay needs some tidying up-not liking the positive battery lead running over the bulkhead or that odd looking grounding strap? near the passenger side shock tower. I agree that a new steering wheel would finish off the interior nicely (no pics of the area behind the seats though) Here is another albeit error filled story about the car. As far as price goes, I wouldn't be surprised if this one ended in the $10-15K range.
Nice looking GT, but I agree the steering wheel could have been upgraded to match the nice interior. Does no reserve mean the car will sell at whatever the highest bid is? And any guess at what that GT will sell for?

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
I was leaning toward the $10,000 plus side. Ron are you in a position now to get another GT???

·
Opeler
1,354 Posts
Without vents pushing air at the occupants, you could go into a full sweat, before cooling the entire cabin.
WES, That ac is never going to get very cold anyway. The compressor has a shunt hose looping directly from the HP outlet right to the LP fitting, completely bypassing both the condenser and evaporator. Not to mention no hose clamps!:)

·
Can Opeler
3,173 Posts
That’s the ARA compressor, but a homeade console.

The battery is positioned like that because it is basically impossible to install or remove a battery with AC. GM AC mounted the battery sidewise like that and had a hole cut in the bellypan. ARA kept the original location but many people modify the battery mounting with the ARA kit. The owner just made the battery box a little too tall.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
That’s the ARA compressor, but a homeade console.

The battery is positioned like that because it is basically impossible to install or remove a battery with AC. GM AC mounted the battery sidewise like that and had a hole cut in the bellypan. ARA kept the original location but many people modify the battery mounting with the ARA kit. The owner just made the battery box a little too tall.
Yeah, my 70 GT with ARA air had the battery in the OEM position and it was a real PIA. But I would never put it right in front of the radiator. Even if airflow wasn't an issue, drawing battery gases through the radiator is not a good idea. If AGM, OK, but those didn't exist in the 70s AFAIK.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sorry for the repeated posts. The web site kept throwing up "Ooops, something went wrong" errors when the posts were made but I see it posted anyway.

·
Opeler
332 Posts
It seems that there is alot of bondo under the fresh paint. Lower fender areas are wavey, no rear molding,...etc...etc....

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It seems that there is alot of bondo under the fresh paint. Lower fender areas are wavey, no rear molding,...etc...etc....
Could be. I also wondered why all of the outside photos are shot from the driver's side. Anyone thinking about bidding on this car should definitely check it out in person or have a qualified inspector go through it.

·
RunOpel
801 Posts
I wondered about the driver side only pictures as well ;) seems odd or suspicious.

Good catch Lindsay, how often have we seen a posting with Opel spelled wrong???

Ron are you getting closer to picking up another GT?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts