Opel GT Forum banner

1970 opel gt (2.3Liter turbo and 6 speed) from 2019 Mustang

24K views 143 replies 31 participants last post by  Taylor.Smith 
#1 · (Edited)
HI all,

I purchased a blue opel and the motor did seize right after purchase. I was planning to do a swap, but in a couple years. Life changed my plans, so I'm going for it.

Fun Fact

"This 2.3 ecoboost is a stroker version of the 2.0 ecotec block in the newer opel Gt in Europe or saturn sky redline in the U.S.A." In a way this is a Opel GT motor... kind of haha

No better time then the present with Covid!

I purchased a 2019 6 speed mustang from Co-part, and pulled the drivetrain from the opel.

This theoretically will be amazing @ 2000 lbs in my mind. Direct injection and low weight should deliver 40 mpg and 350 ft/tq 350hp. Wide body will be fun to build as well with fiberglass.

16k in, wish me luck!

I'll tell you when i hit $25k.

-Taylor
View attachment 429101

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Looking at the track width difference (not factoring in wheels and tires), the IRS is nearly 15” wider. Call it 21” with a decent wheel and tire fitted. I wonder if the suspension pickup points will even stay under the Opel chassis?

You’ll end up cutting out a bunch under the hood and the tranny tunnel to fit the bigger engine and gearbox. You’ll cut the entire rear floor pan out to fit the IRS. The front suspension....totally depends which direction you go with.

It may be easier to retain the Mustang floor pan, shorten it to match the Opel’s wheelbase (by about 11”), cut the GT body off it’s floorpan, then fit the GT upper body to the Mustang floorpan.

Then, flare the fenders to cover the new wheels and tires. About 10.5” per fender based on the numbers I’ve seen. You’ll probably need to flare the rocker panels too, to mate with the floorpan.

I think it will be the easiest way to go

#4 ·
I'm interested how you will make this independent rear suspension work.

#7 · (Edited)
I'll add pictures as I figure it out. If I can't do it without ruining the chassis, I'll change my plans.

I bought the crashed car for its engine, transmission, ecu, harness, and differential.

If I can use anything else like the brakes or the suspension it's just a bonus. A bonus that I want to make work at least for the rear end. The front end may need some sort of mustang 2 dropin double wishbone front suspension.

I'll know once I have it all in front of me.

#6 ·
My thought?....if that blue GT is your car with a dead motor, order a rebuild from GT Source and then sell the car. It's too nice to cut up to fit the Mustang drivetrain. Buy a rusty GT for much less money and start building a full tubeframe chassis to handle the Mustang components. Massive amounts of engineering and money will be needed to make this work, but it would make for a neat project if done right.

If this is real.

#10 ·
10.5" fender flare PER SIDE! Lol.

She's going to look like she prolapsed out the sides from pushing too hard when squatting.

A shame you're doing this to a $5000 GT. My $200 GT already had the trans tunnel cut out for you and the rough-ish shape of the rest of it really wouldn't have caused you any trouble you're not going to go through anyway.

Do what you want with your own property, no judgment, but I think you've paid for a lot of value in a car just to remove that value by chopping it back to equivalent to something you could've picked up for less. Might want to save $4000 and throw that into some other part of it.

#14 ·
I think that motor and tranny combo with a LSD would be awesome and I agree with the sentiments that have been given by Rally Bob and others. Modifying the Mustang floor pan and then grafting the Opel body would be the easiest way to accomplish the full swap that you describe. Keeping the Mustang track width with the Opel body may end up with an excessive wide body look. Instead of adding all of the additional width with fender flares you could section the body down the middle and widen the whole body by 8 or 10 inches. This will make it fit better on the Mustang floor plan and still allow for large proportional looking fender flares. But it will likely end up weighing quite a bit more than 2000 lbs. I echo the other sentiment that if you are going to do this much cutting you should buy a lower cost less complete GT to cut up and keep the blue one intact for it's original charm or sell it to fund some of the Frankenstein beast.

If you're really set on putting the Mustang motor into this blue GT I would scale back the idea of using the full Mustang IRS. There are other IRS options such as Miata, 3 series BMW, or S13 that would be a closer fit to the GT. Or you could use the Mustang diff and design your own control arms based on Miata or a Locost design. You may even be able to install the Mustang diff into the Miata suspension with shortened half shafts.

Another option could be to use a Ford 8.8 rear axle out of an Explorer and fab up a 3 link suspension. Custom front control arms and reinforced cross member would take care of adding width to the front to match the Explorer rear axle.
Either way you'll want to add some significant sub-frame connectors and chassis reinforcement.

When I swapped in the SR20DET engine and tranny into my 71GT one of my goals was not to cut anything up too much that it would be hard to return to stock in the future if someone decided to. I removed a bit of material in the foot wells to accommodate the manifolds. If I chose to bolt the original engine back in the only thing that I would need to do is convert to a cable operated throttle since I removed the sheet metal that supports the throttle linkage.

Lastly spend some time looking at pictures of Heliman's car. He did a very nice job on his swap and still kept all the charm of the GT.

#15 · (Edited)
I asked Heliman to help me haha I saw his beautiful build. His car is like a piece of art, I first found his build by finding the car for sale.

I want to retain the perfect weight ratio of the opel gt for handling in forward motion. 51% front and 49% rear

I need to improve it's suspension to modern suspension though I think. I desire a much wider track width for higher speed turning.

I know the car has amazing aero dynamics for traction at high speeds as it is. The beautiful body lines are actually an aero package that gives it downforce at high speeds.

Technically I could tune this motor to not rip the stock spec gt to shreds by reducing low end torque. I would probably have to swap the twin scroll turbo charger and slightly detune it. It does weigh less then the original motor so it wouldn't stress the stock suspension.

The one problem is my new motor at the top is 23" in width. The stock motor is 17" because the intake and exhaust are on the same side as you know. Height and length are basically the same. It is about an inch and a half shorter in length.

#18 ·
The one problem is my new motor at the top is 23" in width. The stock motor is 17" because the intake and exhaust are on the same side as you know. Height and length are basically the same. It is about an inch and a half shorter in length.
The SR is much wider than the stock engine also. The biggest problem with the width was the turbo and finding a space to run the exhaust pipe down from the turbo to under the car. Another thing to look at is the size and length of the transmission. The opel trans is very small and very short, and the trans tunnel tappers down quickly. Other transmissions are much longer longer. I had to clearance the back of the trans tunnel with a sledge to get the nissan tranny to fit and even then there is not much clearance between the front u-joint on the driveshaft and the back of the tunnel.

#17 ·
I think it's a great swap idea. Start by measuring it all up and see what you'll have to cut. I'd leave the Opel suspension in it for starters and than work on that later. Check out my use of Miata uprights on my Kadett. Really helped in several ways.

Scroll to the bottom of this thread:

#21 ·
I'm betting you'll be able to get it in there without a big production. The trans tunnel will need some fabrication but that's not a deal breaker if you can do basic cutting and welding. Most modern engines are a lot lighter than our all cast iron lumps so the suspension will be getting a break really.

#22 ·
The EcoBoost is about 100 lbs heavier than the Opel engine with accessories. I’m sure the gearbox weighs double the Opel 4-speed’s weight with two extra gears plus strong enough parts to deal with that torque.

You will certainly need chassis reinforcements with 350 ft lbs of torque!

#37 · (Edited)
I guess my Google search was not correct.I'll take a picture of the engine's and tranny's side by side. I need it to weigh less for weight balance uhhg. Visually the opel original looks 100lbs lighter, with the mustangs engine bay next to it. Ill get stats later when I can weigh them on a scale.

The internet states that a fully dressed 2.3 ecoboost weighs 305lbs. I was told the opel 1.9 was 350-400lbs. Do you know the weight?

Would you consider this tube frame🙄?

Ill reinforcements the chassis then.
Are you still fabricating and selling mods?

#25 ·
View attachment 429146 HI all,

I purchased a blue opel and the motor did seize right after purchase. I was planning to do a swap, but in a couple years. Life changed my plans, so I'm going for it.

No better time then the present with Covid!

I purchased a 2019 6 speed mustang from Co-part, and pulled the drivetrain from the opel.

I'm getting the Mustang delivered on October 2nd

The plan is to swap to independent suspesion using the mcpherson struts on the mustang, increase the track width to about 65", and swap over the entire drivetrain including the limited slip torsen rear end. This theoretically will be amazing @ 2000 lbs in my mind. Direct injection and low weight should deliver 40 mpg and 350 ft/tq 350hp. Wide body will be fun to build as well with fiberglass.

16k in, wish me luck!

I'll tell you when i hit $25k.

-Taylor View attachment 429097 View attachment 429098 View attachment 429099 View attachment 429100 View attachment 429101 View attachment 429102 View attachment 429103 View attachment 429104 View attachment 429106 View attachment 429141
Sounds like a great plan. Lots of work but will be worth it in the end.

#35 ·
Thay is a sexy build! Im excited to see how the turbo looks under the hood bubble when I get my motor in. I need to paint my bay blue or black too.

What front suspension is under there?
The front suspension is modified stock Opel. The upper and lower control arms have been reinforced, OGTS poly bushings installed, upper ball joint mount holes were slotted for adjustability, modified F-body front sway bar, composite front spring with adjustable end-links inspired by a Corvette performance spring, and 1" wheel spacers. (but this is only so modern offset wheels can be used and still match the wider Volvo 7.625" rear axle) The rear again is basically modified opel design. Poly bushings on the body side of all links and heim joints on the axle side, both lower control arms and the pan hard rod are adjustable, cut down stock coil springs, KYB shocks all around, and custom fabbed adjustable torque arm.

#30 · (Edited)
Only for about a week and it was very out of tune. Not something I want to invest in honestly. I know its forged and can be built for 10000 rpm with a turbo upgrade. That would probably cost me 10k too and be unreliable.

I already spent 10k on the mustang. I will enjoy the 30-40 mpg and power.
I also just plain want a 5 speed with an overdrive 6th gear.

If the front engined car I wanted existed, I would have bought it. It didn't, so I have to build it. Which I honestly think is cooler for my end game anyway. I think these cars are stunning!

I'm tired of always wanting another car also, I want to make something that can't be replaced.
There is no new Model, its weight can't be achieved with new safety laws, I don't have to smog it so the world is my oyster, and its absolutely gorgeous.

Basically, this is something I can keep for life and always be happy with in my own mind. + This may be one of the best last petrol engines built with a 6 speed option. Everything will be 6k pounds and electric in a couple years. This engine is direct injection, and manufactured in spain.

I'll dump whatever $$ I need to to build the car. In the grand scheme of things, its 100% worth it to me.

#31 ·
Also these motors are abundant in all new Ford/Cadillac models. Parts are cheap and abundant, and tuning options are cheap as well. Huge aftermarket support, local tuners will be all over this engine for years to come. I wanted something that has new age support and part availability. Plug in cobb tuning and customization tools. Its obd2 so i can add any digital cluster I want on a I-pad type device. No smog is endless modification potential.

I'm paying a premium now, but these will be cheap AF in like 5-7 years. In every junk yard.

Its very compact and efficient, it just meets all my requirements and desires. I can tune it to be incredibly efficient and incredibly powerful. 1 click of a button and I can switch the tune. I'll have launch control standard with the 300$ cobb tuner. If I can dial in the suspension for amazing handling with a manuel rack, It will be a drivers dream come true for me.

I'm trying to build my own personal dream car for under 35k, which is the cost of a new basic car that goes out of style in 2 years.

If it works, it will be a steal for the money in my eyes.

#32 · (Edited)
There is one Vehicle Build you should check out. Start here: 1969 Opel GT Buick 215 V8 Monster This was a GT that was essentially destroyed by Hurricane Katrina some years back. Because it was "lost" anyway, "let the games begin"! The engine was a 215CI alum V8 but don't worry about that as the body was sectioned, widened, flared, etc but if you don't know GTs you can't see it. (Isn't that the definition of a "sleeper"?) The car was featured in a number of hot rodding mags, including Hot Rod. Google "Katrina Beast" or "Katrina OPEL GT" to get started! HTH -- Doug

Here is the Hot Rod Mag link: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1969-opel-gt/

#34 ·
Thats a nice build. Done so well too! I hope mine ends up that clean. Beautiful lines.

There is one Vehicle Build you should check out. Start here: 1969 Opel GT Buick 215 V8 Monster This was a GT that was essentially destroyed by Hurricane Katrina some years back. Because it was "lost" anyway, "let the games begin"! The engine was a 215CI alum V8 but don't worry about that as the body was sectioned, widened, flared, etc but if you don't know GTs you can't see it. (Isn't that the definition of a "sleeper"?) The car was featured in a number of hot rodding mags, including Hot Rod. Google "Katrina Beast" or "Katrina OPEL GT" to get started! HTH -- Doug

Here is the Hot Rod Mag link: 1969 Opel GT - Under Water - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Attachments

#33 ·
2019 Ford Mustang has been picked up from copart. Healthy engine and tranny performance model. 👌 🥰🤙🤞

The battle beggins. Pulling the drivetrain, and removed crashed parts now.

Attachments

#41 ·
Nothing I said is right, it's both bigger and way heavier then expected haha.

After I have the motor running independently, I'll drop it in the Opel. I have to cut the firewall and also need my opel hood to be raised by 3 inches🤦🤷.

I'm still determined to make it happen one backyard country hackjob at a time haha. End product will be amazing because professionals live all around me in the SF Bay area. I just need it mounted in the car running, and then I'll figure out the drivetrain.

This is such a mess 😂🤣🤙

Doing it, no going back. It's going to be great.

#42 · (Edited)
Here are some picture updates. We removed every single possible usable part from the mustang over the last 2 days.
-Engine&Tranny, full wiring harness and lateral g monitors, steering column, abs system, brake booster with clutch master, clutch brake and gas pedal assembly, full brake system and lines, front and rear independent suspension, fuel tank and lines, Driveshaft.

I may cut out the tranny tunnel from the mustang. The next step is to run the engine outside of the car to make sure I'm not missing any sensors or etc. Then plan how to place the engine and transmission in the Opel after changing the shifter location with a new rear housing on the unit...

#44 · (Edited)
That GT looks so good.....

.....just the way it is.

Best of luck with this. I hope all goes as planned and this isn’t the start of a solid GT headed to the junk pile. I’m pulling for you to make this happen!

I bought a 2019 mustang first sold on 03/15/20 for this little Opel to consume, I'm planning on giving it a new life. If it went to the junk pile.. It would be a tragedy not only for the Opel, but my pockets, my time, and my dreams.😂🤣

See it's a happy Opel! Sad Mustang

#45 ·
Good luck with your adventure. Going with a V4 or a V6 will always require a crap ton of work to get it to fit in a GT. If I wanted to recreate a GT to have modern components under it, I'd have used a Miata. The inline 4, trans, front and rear suspensions will all be easier to fit in a GT. I know there is someone doing a Miata / GT hybrid on the forum. I've seen a V6 GT in person and it was a lot of work but the car was well done.

I hope you know how to weld and have enough money still to have a custom driveshaft and custom half axles made by the Driveshaft Shop. You'll need to shorten the wheel base and the width of the Mustang setup to do this. You can probably keep the GT's steering box and maybe just add electric steering to it.

#46 · (Edited)
Good luck with your adventure. Going with a V4 or a V6 will always require a crap ton of work to get it to fit in a GT. If I wanted to recreate a GT to have modern components under it, I'd have used a Miata. The inline 4, trans, front and rear suspensions will all be easier to fit in a GT. I know there is someone doing a Miata / GT hybrid on the forum. I've seen a V6 GT in person and it was a lot of work but the car was well done.

I hope you know how to weld and have enough money still to have a custom driveshaft and custom half axles made by the Driveshaft Shop. You'll need to shorten the wheel base and the width of the Mustang setup to do this. You can probably keep the GT's steering box and maybe just add electric steering to it.
My man... I'm definitely going to make a custom short driveshaft, and this in an inline 4 cylinder, duel overhead cam with direct injection, and turbo charged(350hp, 350ft/tq). It's mounted to a 6 speed Manuel transmission that needs a rear housing from a mt80 2011 mustang gt to fit in the opel. Shifter is hanging towards the middle of the car the way it is now. Also, I will need a Corvette stingray style hood that sits 3-5 inches above stock at the center. This engine is taller then I expected. 🤙🤦🤷

I'm mocking up the motor today and tomorrow to run as a pallet crate motor. Then I will be buying an enclosed car trailer to put my opel and it's 2 pallets of parts. I'm confident in myself, but I'm going to go drive this all over to LA to put together with a top engineering bloke, or put it to the side in it's trailer while I move. The assembly must be running before I put it away.

(Check out progress video here. It's almost ready to start )

I may use a different front and rear suspension, but the opel steering box is rusted in my car. I would like to use the programable electronic steering the mustang had. It is light and fully adjustable. Also I need to use the rear diff pumpkin at a minimum in a solid rear 8.8 ford rear axle if I can't figure out a rear ifs conversion with this mustang unit. It has the right final drive ratio and is limited slip as well.

#47 ·
For the record the Ford Ecoboost was NOT the engine used in the second generation Opel GTs. That was the GM Ecotec 2.0 turbo and 2.4 NA engines. Completely different than the Ford engines.

Reactions: Vincent
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.