Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm betting you'll be able to get it in there without a big production. The trans tunnel will need some fabrication but that's not a deal breaker if you can do basic cutting and welding. Most modern engines are a lot lighter than our all cast iron lumps so the suspension will be getting a break really.

·
Super Moderator
13,696 Posts
The EcoBoost is about 100 lbs heavier than the Opel engine with accessories. I’m sure the gearbox weighs double the Opel 4-speed’s weight with two extra gears plus strong enough parts to deal with that torque.

You will certainly need chassis reinforcements with 350 ft lbs of torque!

·
Opeler
1,147 Posts
I don't want a mustang, I want a Giotto Bizzarrini 1900 gt spec style opel GT.

I don't technically want to cut anything if I don't have to for optimal performance. I do need fully customizable/adjustable suspension though. I love the design and unibody strength. It is handmade, and a work of art.

I just want to modernize the drivetrain and make it handle like a God. It already has the perfect weight ratio as is. The idea is truly reliable and efficient modern power source combined with the light weight perfection and beauty of this old car.

Do you have a new possible recommendation for me based on vast expertiese on this vehicle?
Have you actually driven a GT? It’s an honest question. If so, have you driven one other than the one you bought? If not, you may try doing that and see what a CIH motor is capable of. You may be pleasantly surprised what you may be able to achieve without all the headaches/modifications/money/frustration/etc.

Either way, good luck!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,584 Posts
Now that is a beautiful car with no expense expared on its attention to detail.

Did you reduce the overall weight of the car by doing a custom tube front end?

What custom suspension did you decide to go with?
It's not my car...but I wish it were. There is a full description of what they did in building it. I believe it is a mostly custom built tube frame. Not much of the original frame is left.

There isn't really anything sacred about the GTs chassis and handling. Some parts of it leave a lot to be desired. It understeers a bit and the front spring tends to bind. The front control arms can bend/twist. The unibody will twist and distort with too much torque.

To get the width, braking and suspension performance to match the rear will require so much work that it would be easier to use the Mustang subframe. But that will require fabrication of some structure to handle the upper strut mount. The GT doesn't have that as it was all part of the subframe. The subframe has some locating bolts at the top of the shock, but I think all the loads are contained in the frame, not the unibody.

·
Registered
23 Posts
View attachment 429146 HI all,

I purchased a blue opel and the motor did seize right after purchase. I was planning to do a swap, but in a couple years. Life changed my plans, so I'm going for it.

No better time then the present with Covid!

I purchased a 2019 6 speed mustang from Co-part, and pulled the drivetrain from the opel.

I'm getting the Mustang delivered on October 2nd

The plan is to swap to independent suspesion using the mcpherson struts on the mustang, increase the track width to about 65", and swap over the entire drivetrain including the limited slip torsen rear end. This theoretically will be amazing @ 2000 lbs in my mind. Direct injection and low weight should deliver 40 mpg and 350 ft/tq 350hp. Wide body will be fun to build as well with fiberglass.

16k in, wish me luck!

I'll tell you when i hit $25k.

-Taylor View attachment 429097 View attachment 429098 View attachment 429099 View attachment 429100 View attachment 429101 View attachment 429102 View attachment 429103 View attachment 429104 View attachment 429106 View attachment 429141
Sounds like a great plan. Lots of work but will be worth it in the end.

·
Opeler
382 Posts
Also I can purchase a top mount intake setup for about 200$. This would land the turbo perfectly where that little bubble feature of the hood is that makes the opel gt so unique.
It is nice that the turbo on the 2.3L is on the same side as the original carb bulge in the hood. On the SR I had to replace the original exhaust manifold with a top mount turbo manifold but it is on the opposite side of the engine. Here's a picture for space reference under the hood. The SR engine is 23" from manifold to manifold, and with the turbo included it is 25.5" wide overall at the top, but that's not the only challenge. The Opel GT frame rails are very narrow and don't leave much room for accessories down low on the engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thay is a sexy build! Im excited to see how the turbo looks under the hood bubble when I get my motor in. I need to paint my bay blue or black too.

What front suspension is under there?

·
Opeler
1,147 Posts
Have you actually driven a GT? It’s an honest question. If so, have you driven one other than the one you bought? If not, you may try doing that and see what a CIH motor is capable of. You may be pleasantly surprised what you may be able to achieve without all the headaches/modifications/money/frustration/etc.

Either way, good luck!
Have you ever driven a GT?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Only for about a week and it was very out of tune. Not something I want to invest in honestly. I know its forged and can be built for 10000 rpm with a turbo upgrade. That would probably cost me 10k too and be unreliable.

I already spent 10k on the mustang. I will enjoy the 30-40 mpg and power.
I also just plain want a 5 speed with an overdrive 6th gear.

If the front engined car I wanted existed, I would have bought it. It didn't, so I have to build it. Which I honestly think is cooler for my end game anyway. I think these cars are stunning!

I'm tired of always wanting another car also, I want to make something that can't be replaced.
There is no new Model, its weight can't be achieved with new safety laws, I don't have to smog it so the world is my oyster, and its absolutely gorgeous.

Basically, this is something I can keep for life and always be happy with in my own mind. + This may be one of the best last petrol engines built with a 6 speed option. Everything will be 6k pounds and electric in a couple years. This engine is direct injection, and manufactured in spain.

I'll dump whatever $$ I need to to build the car. In the grand scheme of things, its 100% worth it to me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Also these motors are abundant in all new Ford/Cadillac models. Parts are cheap and abundant, and tuning options are cheap as well. Huge aftermarket support, local tuners will be all over this engine for years to come. I wanted something that has new age support and part availability. Plug in cobb tuning and customization tools. Its obd2 so i can add any digital cluster I want on a I-pad type device. No smog is endless modification potential.

I'm paying a premium now, but these will be cheap AF in like 5-7 years. In every junk yard.

Its very compact and efficient, it just meets all my requirements and desires. I can tune it to be incredibly efficient and incredibly powerful. 1 click of a button and I can switch the tune. I'll have launch control standard with the 300$ cobb tuner. If I can dial in the suspension for amazing handling with a manuel rack, It will be a drivers dream come true for me.

I'm trying to build my own personal dream car for under 35k, which is the cost of a new basic car that goes out of style in 2 years.

If it works, it will be a steal for the money in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
There is one Vehicle Build you should check out. Start here: 1969 Opel GT Buick 215 V8 Monster This was a GT that was essentially destroyed by Hurricane Katrina some years back. Because it was "lost" anyway, "let the games begin"! The engine was a 215CI alum V8 but don't worry about that as the body was sectioned, widened, flared, etc but if you don't know GTs you can't see it. (Isn't that the definition of a "sleeper"?) The car was featured in a number of hot rodding mags, including Hot Rod. Google "Katrina Beast" or "Katrina OPEL GT" to get started! HTH -- Doug

Here is the Hot Rod Mag link: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1969-opel-gt/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
2019 Ford Mustang has been picked up from copart. Healthy engine and tranny performance model. 👌 🥰🤙🤞

The battle beggins. Pulling the drivetrain, and removed crashed parts now.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thats a nice build. Done so well too! I hope mine ends up that clean. Beautiful lines.

There is one Vehicle Build you should check out. Start here: 1969 Opel GT Buick 215 V8 Monster This was a GT that was essentially destroyed by Hurricane Katrina some years back. Because it was "lost" anyway, "let the games begin"! The engine was a 215CI alum V8 but don't worry about that as the body was sectioned, widened, flared, etc but if you don't know GTs you can't see it. (Isn't that the definition of a "sleeper"?) The car was featured in a number of hot rodding mags, including Hot Rod. Google "Katrina Beast" or "Katrina OPEL GT" to get started! HTH -- Doug

Here is the Hot Rod Mag link: 1969 Opel GT - Under Water - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Attachments

·
Opeler
382 Posts
Thay is a sexy build! Im excited to see how the turbo looks under the hood bubble when I get my motor in. I need to paint my bay blue or black too.

What front suspension is under there?
The front suspension is modified stock Opel. The upper and lower control arms have been reinforced, OGTS poly bushings installed, upper ball joint mount holes were slotted for adjustability, modified F-body front sway bar, composite front spring with adjustable end-links inspired by a Corvette performance spring, and 1" wheel spacers. (but this is only so modern offset wheels can be used and still match the wider Volvo 7.625" rear axle) The rear again is basically modified opel design. Poly bushings on the body side of all links and heim joints on the axle side, both lower control arms and the pan hard rod are adjustable, cut down stock coil springs, KYB shocks all around, and custom fabbed adjustable torque arm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
How is your performance handling?
Does a tire ever lift off the ground as some state occurs with opel suspension?
Can you adjust your camber or toe angle somehow?
Can you achieve a greater steering angle through any modification you know of?

I'm hoping to achieve a slight oversteer bias, do you understeer or oversteer with your set-up?

The front suspension is modified stock Opel. The upper and lower control arms have been reinforced, OGTS poly bushings installed, upper ball joint mount holes were slotted for adjustability, modified F-body front sway bar, composite front spring with adjustable end-links inspired by a Corvette performance spring, and 1" wheel spacers. (but this is only so modern offset wheels can be used and still match the wider Volvo 7.625" rear axle) The rear again is basically modified opel design. Poly bushings on the body side of all links and heim joints on the axle side, both lower control arms and the pan hard rod are adjustable, cut down stock coil springs, KYB shocks all around, and custom fabbed adjustable torque arm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I guess my Google search was not correct.I'll take a picture of the engine's and tranny's side by side. I need it to weigh less for weight balance uhhg. Visually the opel original looks 100lbs lighter, with the mustangs engine bay next to it. Ill get stats later when I can weigh them on a scale.

The internet states that a fully dressed 2.3 ecoboost weighs 305lbs. I was told the opel 1.9 was 350-400lbs. Do you know the weight?

Would you consider this tube frame🙄?

Ill reinforcements the chassis then.
Are you still fabricating and selling mods?
The EcoBoost is about 100 lbs heavier than the Opel engine with accessories. I’m sure the gearbox weighs double the Opel 4-speed’s weight with two extra gears plus strong enough parts to deal with that torque.

You will certainly need chassis reinforcements with 350 ft lbs of torque!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I really hope I don't have to cut much. Only time will tell. I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm betting you'll be able to get it in there without a big production. The trans tunnel will need some fabrication but that's not a deal breaker if you can do basic cutting and welding. Most modern engines are a lot lighter than our all cast iron lumps so the suspension will be getting a break really.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
This article made me so happy to read, Thank You.

I'm not an engineer, but I'll figure out a way to make this work. Being that I live in California near SF, I should be able to find someone with enough talent to help me as I need it with different areas of the build.

There will be someone somewhere that specializes in whatever I need help with. Very blessed to have access to so many people so much more skilled and intelligent then I am. Just a couple miles on a car trailer, a phone call, and some $$. It will happen, I'm hoping to keep it under 35k total with a successful build.

Here is the Hot Rod Mag link: 1969 Opel GT - Under Water - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

21 - 40 of 90 Posts