Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Nothing I said is right, it's both bigger and way heavier then expected haha.

After I have the motor running independently, I'll drop it in the Opel. I have to cut the firewall and also need my opel hood to be raised by 3 inches馃う馃し.

I'm still determined to make it happen one backyard country hackjob at a time haha. End product will be amazing because professionals live all around me in the SF Bay area. I just need it mounted in the car running, and then I'll figure out the drivetrain.

This is such a mess 馃槀馃ぃ馃

Doing it, no going back. It's going to be great.

Registered
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Here are some picture updates. We removed every single possible usable part from the mustang over the last 2 days.
-Engine&Tranny, full wiring harness and lateral g monitors, steering column, abs system, brake booster with clutch master, clutch brake and gas pedal assembly, full brake system and lines, front and rear independent suspension, fuel tank and lines, Driveshaft.

I may cut out the tranny tunnel from the mustang. The next step is to run the engine outside of the car to make sure I'm not missing any sensors or etc. Then plan how to place the engine and transmission in the Opel after changing the shifter location with a new rear housing on the unit...

Opeler
That GT looks so good.....

.....just the way it is.

Best of luck with this. I hope all goes as planned and this isn鈥檛 the start of a solid GT headed to the junk pile. I鈥檓 pulling for you to make this happen!

Registered
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
That GT looks so good.....

.....just the way it is.

Best of luck with this. I hope all goes as planned and this isn鈥檛 the start of a solid GT headed to the junk pile. I鈥檓 pulling for you to make this happen!

I bought a 2019 mustang first sold on 03/15/20 for this little Opel to consume, I'm planning on giving it a new life. If it went to the junk pile.. It would be a tragedy not only for the Opel, but my pockets, my time, and my dreams.馃槀馃ぃ

See it's a happy Opel! Sad Mustang

Pedal Smasher
Good luck with your adventure. Going with a V4 or a V6 will always require a crap ton of work to get it to fit in a GT. If I wanted to recreate a GT to have modern components under it, I'd have used a Miata. The inline 4, trans, front and rear suspensions will all be easier to fit in a GT. I know there is someone doing a Miata / GT hybrid on the forum. I've seen a V6 GT in person and it was a lot of work but the car was well done.

I hope you know how to weld and have enough money still to have a custom driveshaft and custom half axles made by the Driveshaft Shop. You'll need to shorten the wheel base and the width of the Mustang setup to do this. You can probably keep the GT's steering box and maybe just add electric steering to it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Good luck with your adventure. Going with a V4 or a V6 will always require a crap ton of work to get it to fit in a GT. If I wanted to recreate a GT to have modern components under it, I'd have used a Miata. The inline 4, trans, front and rear suspensions will all be easier to fit in a GT. I know there is someone doing a Miata / GT hybrid on the forum. I've seen a V6 GT in person and it was a lot of work but the car was well done.

I hope you know how to weld and have enough money still to have a custom driveshaft and custom half axles made by the Driveshaft Shop. You'll need to shorten the wheel base and the width of the Mustang setup to do this. You can probably keep the GT's steering box and maybe just add electric steering to it.
My man... I'm definitely going to make a custom short driveshaft, and this in an inline 4 cylinder, duel overhead cam with direct injection, and turbo charged(350hp, 350ft/tq). It's mounted to a 6 speed Manuel transmission that needs a rear housing from a mt80 2011 mustang gt to fit in the opel. Shifter is hanging towards the middle of the car the way it is now. Also, I will need a Corvette stingray style hood that sits 3-5 inches above stock at the center. This engine is taller then I expected. 馃馃う馃し

I'm mocking up the motor today and tomorrow to run as a pallet crate motor. Then I will be buying an enclosed car trailer to put my opel and it's 2 pallets of parts. I'm confident in myself, but I'm going to go drive this all over to LA to put together with a top engineering bloke, or put it to the side in it's trailer while I move. The assembly must be running before I put it away.

(Check out progress video here. It's almost ready to start )

I may use a different front and rear suspension, but the opel steering box is rusted in my car. I would like to use the programable electronic steering the mustang had. It is light and fully adjustable. Also I need to use the rear diff pumpkin at a minimum in a solid rear 8.8 ford rear axle if I can't figure out a rear ifs conversion with this mustang unit. It has the right final drive ratio and is limited slip as well.

Opeler
For the record the Ford Ecoboost was NOT the engine used in the second generation Opel GTs. That was the GM Ecotec 2.0 turbo and 2.4 NA engines. Completely different than the Ford engines.

Reactions: Vincent

Opeler
Listen to Rally Bob. All of these people know something about Opels but Bob is the guy to listen to. I know enough to say that you are going to have to strip the gt down to the level of that orange car before you get started.
175bhp in a GT, from and Opel motor, is a ton of fun and one tenth of the cost and aggravation.
Good luck.

Pedal Smasher
I hope he figures it out, otherwise that would be a lot of wasted money. Frankenstein projects like these can be more than most people are willing to tackle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
I bought a 2019 mustang first sold on 03/15/20 for this little Opel to consume, I'm planning on giving it a new life. If it went to the junk pile.. It would be a tragedy not only for the Opel, but my pockets, my time, and my dreams.馃槀馃ぃ
Listen to Rally Bob. All of these people know something about Opels but Bob is the guy to listen to. I know enough to say that you are going to have to strip the gt down to the level of that orange car before you get started.
175bhp in a GT, from and Opel motor, is a ton of fun and one tenth of the cost and aggravation.
Good luck.
Thank You for the luck.

Are you talking about turbocharging the original engine? Or fully building it and turbo charging it to get 175 bhp.

Sounds like fun, but I wanted direct injection.

I understand that a lot of people love this original drivetrain, but I'm 15k deep into a swap that I think will be amazing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
For the record the Ford Ecoboost was NOT the engine used in the second generation Opel GTs. That was the GM Ecotec 2.0 turbo and 2.4 NA engines. Completely different than the Ford engines.

I was reading that the ecotec 2.0 gdi was the base design worked off to create the ford 2.0 gdi which later became the 2.3 gdi ecoboost. A stroker 2.0.

I guess it can all just be hear say.

Side note. This motor was manufactured in Spain, and the harness/ecu's all say made in Germany.

Also, I love all Rally Bob's work. I've looked at most of his posts and Flickr parts he's made. Genius man!

Opeler
I promise I will.... one way or another. Have some faith馃槀馃馃挭.
We all have faith...You are going to need$$$$. This could easily top out over 60k the way that you are going for something that will be undriveable. That is crazy money for something that is dangerous.
Go for it. Are you married?

Opeler
Good luck.
Thank You for the luck.

Are you talking about turbocharging the original engine? Or fully building it and turbo charging it to get 175 bhp.

Sounds like fun, but I wanted direct injection.

I understand that a lot of people love this original drivetrain, but I'm 15k deep into a swap that I think will be amazing.
You can get to 175hp out of an Opel CIH without a turbo if you do your homework. A member, PJ Romano, built a 2.4 motor with dual DCOEs that dyno鈥檇 at over 180hp without a turbo/boost/etc.

That鈥檚 mostly the reason that everyone seems cautious/hesitant/nervous/etc is because we all know what the original motors are capable of and have seen too many people acquire these cars to do some type of engine swap and the car ends up abandoned or ruined for seemingly no reason.

Opeler
You can get to 175hp out of an Opel CIH without a turbo if you do your homework. A member, PJ Romano, built a 2.4 motor with dual DCOEs that dyno鈥檇 at over 180hp without a turbo/boost/etc.

That鈥檚 mostly the reason that everyone seems cautious/hesitant/nervous/etc is because we all know what the original motors are capable of and have seen too many people acquire these cars to do some type of engine swap and the car ends up abandoned or ruined for seemingly no reason.
That was PJ back up motor. He had a bit nicer 2.4 in his gt and it was fast. Probably one of the nicest GT out there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)

Sounds very costly to me with low availability on parts and machine work.. I would imagine all drivetrain would still need to be beefed up too.

If I make this set up work, ford is putting it in like every car now (ranger, explorer, mustang, escape). I will have junkyard parts until I'm in my 70's. We all know Mustang drivers, they crash a lot. 馃憣馃ぃ

This build should be very cheap in the future. This will probably be near the end of internal combustion motor development on the human time scale of production too. Best efficiency tech, lots of aftermarket support as it is abundant, and tuners will know this engine. Good tuners are hard to come by.

So if I do it right ,and it ends up being a great swap..

We are all stoked possibly.

All I know is that I'm not letting my dream build die in a junk yard. 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
We all have faith...You are going to need$$$$. This could easily top out over 60k the way that you are going for something that will be undriveable. That is crazy money for something that is dangerous.
Go for it. Are you married?

Not married, no kids, and no gf currently. I have a Ducati Monster, so I'm familiar with death traps.馃

60k custom build, or 100k porsche that's to heavy and a million people own. I take the one I build myself because it's something you will never lose interest in. It's timeless. A new sports car ages and loses its zing. A custom build is one of a kind, even if it has it's imperfections and drawbacks. A 70's Opel never needs to be smogged, so it can't be regulated. It's a forever improvement build, a functional piece of art.

Personally, if a women tells me it's the car or her...She's just not the right women馃ぃ馃槄. That's how I see it.

Opeler
Sounds very costly to me with low availability on parts and machine work.. I would imagine all drivetrain would still need to be beefed up too.

If I make this set up work, ford is putting it in like every car now (ranger, explorer, mustang, escape). I will have junkyard parts until I'm in my 70's. We all know Mustang drivers, they crash a lot. 馃憣馃ぃ

This build should be very cheap in the future. This will probably be near the end of internal combustion motor development on the human time scale of production too. Best efficiency tech, lots of aftermarket support as it is abundant, and tuners will know this engine. Good tuners are hard to come by.

So if I do it right ,and it ends up being a great swap..

We are all stoked possibly.

All I know is that I'm not letting my dream build die in a junk yard. 馃榿
I like you, I really do. You are ambitious ,motivated and creative. BUT do not for one minute think that this project at ANY time is going to be cheap is completely delusional!

Opeler
I like you, I really do. You are ambitious ,motivated and creative. BUT do not for one minute think that this project at ANY time is going to be cheap is completely delusional!
P.S. Ducatis were made to handle and go fast. GTs were not

41 - 60 of 89 Posts