Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
I like you, I really do. You are ambitious ,motivated and creative. BUT do not for one minute think that this project at ANY time is going to be cheap is completely delusional!

---(((Just the engine, harness, and a transmission will be cheap second hand. Give it a couple years, that's all I'm saying. )))----

They come in
-Ford:Mustangs, escapes, focuses, rangers, explorers.
-Lincoln: Corsair, MKC
-Zenos:E10R
-Vuhl 05

Lots of previous manuel transmissions from BMWs fit this motor too. They are like 300$

There is an all wheel drive ford focus rs that has a drift button(~85%power to rears) with this motor and a 6 speed Manuel🥰. Heavy though

The Vuhl 05 has 405hp stock with a Tune for 93 octane and a bigger intercooler

·
Opeler
1,235 Posts
Sounds very costly to me with low availability on parts and machine work.. I would imagine all drivetrain would still need to be beefed up too.

If I make this set up work, ford is putting it in like every car now (ranger, explorer, mustang, escape). I will have junkyard parts until I'm in my 70's. We all know Mustang drivers, they crash a lot. 👌🤣

This build should be very cheap in the future. This will probably be near the end of internal combustion motor development on the human time scale of production too. Best efficiency tech, lots of aftermarket support as it is abundant, and tuners will know this engine. Good tuners are hard to come by.

So if I do it right ,and it ends up being a great swap..

We are all stoked possibly.

All I know is that I'm not letting my dream build die in a junk yard. 😁
I’m sure it’s less than you paid for the mustang. And a lot of guys swap in Chevy valves & intervals, because they are light and CHEAP and everywhere. I wish I did it with my build honestly. We know you aren’t changing your mind at this point, but just know it could have been done a different (read: easier & cheaper) way, and still yielded great results, while still adding fuel injection.

And know I’m saying all this because of how sweet that GT looks. If you had a less attractive GT that already needed some body work, I wouldn’t be saying a thing.

You have drive, that’s for sure....I just hope you get to drive that blue GT ;)

Good luck in the coming months and years!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,779 Posts
P.S. Ducatis were made to handle and go fast. GTs were not
"Looks like fish, moves like a fish...steers like a cow."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)

I'm pretty sure these were designed in a wind tunnel and then got robbed of their performance bits according to my conspiracy theory. Like sway bars, independent suspension, and turbo's for their stock low compression motors. Just my hear say conspiracy theorist opinion. So due to my insanity and love of the automobile, here we are doing mods and loving Art.

All hear say of coarse, my intuition tells me this car wanted to handle and perform. It's the soul of the car, it whispers to me 🤥😂🤙.

Bizzarrini 1900 gt Europa

Why fire a world renowned Italian engineer/race car driver that made Lamborghini and Ferrari what they were in the 60's. Dude better take his design with him in anger and rage, I think he went bankrupt right before these cars went to market by GM.

Conspiracy theory Land.

Anyway... Back to power, speed, and top bloke talking.

You guys are making me change my mind in one way possibly. I want this to be a potential swap for others, so maybe I will just swap in the motor and transmission without any other modifications other then mounts, driveshaft, "BigBen style" chassis strengthening, and the differential pumpkin / axles.
- Skip on everything else for now, and I can use
your stock opelsource.com parts to make the car handle good with some order help.

I think it will all fit with just a 3 inch lift hood mod or just no hood while I source another to modify.

I can keep all my part options for later in a safes storage From what I understand, these opels would possibly enjoy going 150 mph according to the speedometer?

I think if anyone is to ever do this swap after me, I should do it with the least amount of modification to the car. So, let's give that a proper go with documentation photos.

·
Registered
672 Posts
A Ford Zetec 2.0 fits without any hacking, fits under the stock hood, smaller and lighter then the CIH with 125 HP stock, Easy to get 170 to 190 HP Normally asperated, 300 with a turbo and they are virtually bullet proof.

Reactions: Howell05

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
607 Posts
Just curious - How do you define fast - when I was 19 years old got my , stock 1.9 1970 GT, close to 130 MPH. Only did it once and would not consider it today, front end felt like it was coming off the ground and I have matured a little since then. But quick and fast are two different things. Other than that I really don't have an opinion on this thread - if someone has a dream, well let them dream. All of the comments Taylor has received will no doubt help him with his final decision. Some people like a real challenge and based on what I have read that is in fact what he is going to get. I wish him best of luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
A Ford Zetec 2.0 fits without any hacking, fits under the stock hood, smaller and lighter then the CIH with 125 HP stock, Easy to get 170 to 190 HP Normally asperated, 300 with a turbo and they are virtually bullet proof.

View attachment 431168
Yeah, your car was the most beautiful custom build I saw in my opinion. I can't believe you would ever even consider selling it. All the hours, perfectionist craftsmanship, and time spent. One of a kind.

I really love gasoline Direct Injection, and this is turbo charged stock/ fully tune-able with a cobb tuner plug and play. Since I couldn't buy your car...haha. I'm building one, but this 2.3 is my favorite stock inline 4 currently available that has a manuel option. I'm sad to modify the opel hood, I really love it.

This hood won't kill me though, but I'm sure that I'll be ruining some sort of minor aerodynamic properties.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Just curious - How do you define fast - when I was 19 years old got my , stock 1.9 1970 GT, close to 130 MPH. Only did it once and would not consider it today, front end felt like it was coming off the ground and I have matured a little since then. But quick and fast are two different things. Other than that I really don't have an opinion on this thread - if someone has a dream, well let them dream. All of the comments Taylor has received will no doubt help him with his final decision. Some people like a real challenge and based on what I have read that is in fact what he is going to get. I wish him best of luck.

I feel like everyone thinks I'm going to destroy this car, or die from driving it haha.

Place your bets.

I will chime back in with a running crate engine video soon. Then It will all be safely stored for a couple months while I move, and plan this out after work days.

Thank You for all the help I have received.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
My first GT went airborne at 90 according to the original owner. It flipped into a ditch and landed on it's roof.

For anyone that's never driven an Opel GT before. Some people say it's like a motorized skateboard. Not with a stock engine but it's FAR from a cornering machine. I've drifted them plenty. And I've wrecked exactly ONE of them. They are great little cars but they are NOT designed for speed and cornering. Add-ons are required the faster they are made to go.

·
Opeler
634 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
It Runs!! Click to see

Sorry, I'm vulgar and I swear. Love you all.

Keep wishing me luck!!

We stripped the mustang and had it running out of the car in 3 days, time to recycle the Stang body now.

I can't wait to get this in the Opel, but unfortunately it will have to be stored for a couple months.

Rock and Roll the Modern classic opel build.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Keeping the stereo going was a nice feature

Reactions: Taylor.Smith

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
399 Posts
We stripped the mustang and had it running out of the car in 3 days, time to recycle the Stang body now.
Don't be so quick to send the old Mustang off to the crusher, if you have room to store it. At the very least you can use it to pattern your GT drive line tunnel, at worst you can graft the Mustang tunnel into your GT.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It Runs!! Click to see

Sorry, I'm vulgar and I swear. Love you all.

Keep wishing me luck!!

I can't wait to get this in the Opel, but unfortunately it will have to be stored for a couple months.

Rock and Roll the Modern classic opel build.
Good for you!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 · (Edited)
Quick update on storage for the rainy season. Motor is running in the 8.5'x24' race trailer.

To LA California in the spring of 2021 to scan the components and car, then cnc some billet aluminum mounting brackets.

This thread will be dead for a couple months

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Very nice and well organized

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Don't be so quick to send the old Mustang off to the crusher, if you have room to store it. At the very least you can use it to pattern your GT drive line tunnel, at worst you can graft the Mustang tunnel into your GT.
Unfortunately I had to send it off right away to a recycler, the landlord was displeased with me potentially starting a J yard of frames on her property🤣. I did salvage the pedal placement and bolt up patterns from the mustang. I did not save the tranny tunnel, but I think the opel's will be okay. If it isn't, I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Have you driven the GT as is? If so, how much? I forget how long you’ve owned it, so forgive me on that one!
My original O.E.M engine seized after 15 days of ownership, I had just purchased an alterternator, protronic electronic distributer conversion, and full tune up. I was forced to get on with my mod dreams early.🤙😁

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
My first GT went airborne at 90 according to the original owner. It flipped into a ditch and landed on it's roof.

For anyone that's never driven an Opel GT before. Some people say it's like a motorized skateboard. Not with a stock engine but it's FAR from a cornering machine. I've drifted them plenty. And I've wrecked exactly ONE of them. They are great little cars but they are NOT designed for speed and cornering. Add-ons are required the faster they are made to go.
I guess we can just give mine some wings after I give it suspension then. Also 4 wheel disk brakes, abs braking with taction control, and a limited slip differential. Then I can potentially learn safely while creating the appropriate downforce and lowering the ride to the point where it feels correct. :unsure:

All based on driving it.

We will see what happens, nobody knows yet. It will be good though.🤷

61 - 80 of 97 Posts