Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put this out to the Opel community before putting on C-list.

Hi all!

1970 Opel GT $15,000 OBO

Fun, spritely, little 2 seater! Fires up and runs great, and drives quickly if you want it too! Suspension setup to race autocross. Numbers are “period correct” with the engine, transmission, and gauges all appropriate for early ’70 Opel GT. Over $28K invested, bought in 2014. So much fun like sophisticated go-kart!

But, my wife doesn’t like it…so I need a new project that will easily accommodate her luggage, a case or two of wine, and is an automatic. Sigh. Too much work to list, but did my best in bullets below. In fact, the only part that hasn’t been disassembled is the rear end. The rest of the car has been inspected and/or replaced. 90% of new parts are from Opel GT Source, right here in Nor-Cal.

Tagged, registered, receipts, and pink slip in hand! What are you waiting for? Its time to have some Opel Fun!!!
If you have questions just let me know

What’s new…almost everything
  • Body and paint - Saldivar’s Auto Body, color is Aston Martin Yellow with pearl finished
  • Bumpers, bumperettes, rear trim have all been straightened and re-chromed
  • Engine 2.0 Liter rebuild with oversized intake and exhaust valves; competition camshaft; build is ~120-130HP 25% power increase over stock!!!
  • All cooling, ignition, and charging system components new
  • Interior: Seats reupholstered, carpet kit, headliner, door and kick panels, ABS dash, stereo system, window and door rubbers
  • Brakes – Big Brake Kit with master cylinder and brake booster
  • Suspension – new KYB shocks, springs (lowered 1” front and rear), poly bushings, added front sway bar, and been aligned
  • Clutch; clutch cable; 4spd Transmission rebuild (new synchros and bearings); Torque Tube donut & bearing
  • Exhaust – 2” stainless steel with Headers
  • Headlight wiring harness, micro-switches, and manual headlight operation cable
Changes from Stock
  • Wheels are vintage/period American Racing Hurricane mags
  • 2.0 Liter Engine
  • Webber 32/36 carburetor
  • Rear quarter pop-out windows (originally came on 71-73 GTs)
  • Front turn signals are now daytime halos/turn signals/fog lights
  • Rear turn signals are now ’73 GT/Manta with turn signal, brake light, taillight. Figured it would be good to have an extra taillight/brake light.
Not so good
  • A couple rock chips in paint, because its driven
  • A couple small oil drips (oil pan; rear differential connection to torque tube; and right rear wheel bearing seal). Hey its an Opel! Ever try and get an old VW to stop leaking?…yeah its like that.
  • Pink Slip in hand, but it does say “salvage” on the title. Car has been down to bare metal, and found minor damage on right rear corner (hammered out and straightened), passenger door dented (hammered out- see photos). But can’t change title, which is why the car is listed for about 25% below retail compared to other cars with this much work.
  • Only 1 rust spot which is common to GT’s under battery tray on the Belly Pan. I didn’t have the heart to replace with fiberglass, when the nose, curve around the turn signals, and seam from the nose to the hood were in great condition. Go ahead and poke with screwdriver or hit with hammer…on underneath side, not on paint.
I included photos of the finished product, when I first got it home, before the engine was put in, while it was in the body shop, and at a local car show (award winner). If you think you can do a car like this cheaper, go ahead and try. It’s a solid little California Car with intact floor pans, rockers, fenders and ready to drive!!!

Thanks for Looking!
Jerry
916-207-0302

Attachments

·
Registered
770 Posts
But, my wife doesn’t like it…so I need a new project that will easily accommodate her luggage, a case or two of wine, and is an automatic.
Get a motorcycle trailer and a little hitch.

And then teach her to drive stick, on the condition that, after she's driven it 20 times, if she still doesn't like it, you'll sell it.

This is like you pressuring your wife into selling her award winning petunias because if you're using garden space you only want to grow something you can eat.

·
Registered
511 Posts
What a nice car at a fair price.
Insurance companies are way too quick to pull the trigger on flagging a car as "salvage". Here in Oklahoma, there are clear exceptions to the % rule on damage. The ins. company rarely will even look at the exceptions.
Good luck.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,524 Posts
You could always keep the car and replace the wife. LOL. I doubt she'll find that funny though.

That's unfortunate but good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could always keep the car and replace the wife. LOL. I doubt she'll find that funny though.

That's unfortunate but good luck with the sale.
Thanks looking everyone! You all are pretty funny re: the wife. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a nice car at a fair price.
Insurance companies are way too quick to pull the trigger on flagging a car as "salvage". Here in Oklahoma, there are clear exceptions to the % rule on damage. The ins. company rarely will even look at the exceptions.
Good luck.
I agree! I can only imagine the car was involved in fender bender in the 80's and the insurance company was too happy to write it off, rather then make a simple repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts