Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at a party all night and in the morning I was driving some friends home. I had 4 people in the GT. I was in the drivers seat and my girlfriend was in my lap, her legs between mine and my arms wrapped around her. She laid back with her head across my shoulder. My friend and his girlfriend in the passengers seat. The night before, I was driving and my friend was in the seat and the 2 girls were in the back seat area of the GT. We had 4 people in a GT in 2 different ways !!

I had just dropped off my 3 friends and was headed home at 6 am on a Saturday morning. I was traveling east on Route 137 in Dublin, NH going 50 mph, 45 speed limit. There is a small hill and just as you start to head down the other side, it curves off to the left slightly. The sun was just coming up and I came over the top of that hill in my Black 71 GT. Just as I crest the top of the hill the sun hits me directly in my eyes and turned the windshield white. I couldn't see a thing. The sun was gone in a split second and when I could see again I was headed right off the road at a very LARGE Oak tree and a rock wall, at 50 mph!!!

I cut the wheel hard to the left and hit the brakes. The GT started to come around to the left and I slid sideways across the road, into the trees. The passenger side front quarter hit the first tree. Because I was sideways it spun the car around. Then the cars driver side hit against 2 trees and came to a stop in a ditch, on the opposite side of the road.

I climbed out the passengers side door and got away from it in case it was on fire. It was not. I checked myself out and there was no blood or damage that I could find, so I started walking to the nearest house. Again at 6 am I start banging on someones door. They woke up and asked what I wanted and I told them to call the police for me, I was just in an accident.

In Dublin, NH at 6 am on a Saturday morning, the Police are sleeping. I woke the Chief up to come out to my accident, not a good thing. He showed up about 20 minutes after he was called. I told him what had happened and was honest and straight with him. He said that since I had crossed a double yellow line that he was going to get me for "driving to endanger". Then he starts reading me my rights !! I was like "WHAT ??? You are arresting me ???" He said "Yes, it is an arrestable offence". I said to him that If I had it to do all over again, I would still try to save my life and my car Instead of hitting the LARGE Oak tree and rock wall head on at 50 mph. And if that he was going to arrest me for that, so be it.

As it turns out my GT wasn't inspected either and I had admitted to him that I was going 50 in a 45. He never finished reading me my rights and continued on with the report. After a few minutes he said "I'll give you a choice, you can have the driving to endanger or I can give you 2 tickets, one for speeding and one for uninspected". I said "Give me the tickets".

I had the GT for 14 days. It Caught fire. I got 3 tickets with it, 2 speeding. Had 4 people in it, 2 different ways. Had it over 125 mph. Folded a front suspension shock tower. And totaled it. ALL before the first Payment was due !!

I bought the car back from the insurance company for $200 and it became my second parts car, as I started to look for its replacement.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
*Shakes Head* too!

You do seem to have a penchant for destroying poor wee innocent GTs' .....

Perhaps they are trying to tell you something .......

Stories of the slaughter of GTs' is so sad - pitty the first one you had did not bring the point home!

·
Registered
616 Posts
next time..... and there will probably be a next time, NO brakes while turning!, engine compressing will slow you down all you need..... and no jerking the wheel, that just makes the tires slip if your lucky, if it grips the back end could be comming around, not cool. makes me so sad to hear of a gt being smashed that i feel the need to explain how to not hit a tree..... driving in the canadian winter teaches you something about skids

·
Banned
3,841 Posts
Interesting to say the least. In all the GTs I've owned I've never been in an accident that wasn't fixable. I knew from day one that the brakes weren't the best and with more power they don't get better. That's why I took the route that I did. Make sure it stops better than it goes and be sure the seatbelts are all good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After the accident...

I found that the whole car was made of bondo. the car was the best looking rust bucket you ever saw. The truth is that the car was close to breaking in half. The rockers, tranny tunnel and floor were rusted thru. The lesson learned from this accident was how to look for bondo in future cars.

I might have neglected to say that I was already off the road when I cut the wheel hard and was trying to get it back on the road. I was not on dry pavement with traction.

These are true stories from many years ago. I hope people are getting some value from them. Good or Bad everyone that I sent to a junk yard increased the value of yours.

Lastly, I was 19 when this happened and it is the Only GT that I totaled in an accident. It was 1984.

·
Banned
3,841 Posts
Try fixing a turbo GT after stuffing it under a semi trailer at speed with the lights up. ya talk about tortured steel. Had to drop the front of the parked trailer and let the air out of the front tires on the car to get it out. I remember it was in 3rd gear so that meant at least 60 on ice. The things you survive in youth is surprising.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts