·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Saw this article today :

https://chromjuwelen.com/network/237-engineswapdepot-com/212660-1971-opel-gt-with-a-20-l-zetec-inline-four

I gotta admit, a 6 speed sounds super nice but how the heck did he do it? Which Subaru tyranny did he use?

Have any of you heard of this kinda swap before?

I mean, Zetec engines and subaru trannies are all over the place. I'm tempted to do this to my opel if I can figure out how he did it.
I have no idea of how he did it, but I believe that the car was pictured on the Forum a couple of years ago. IIRC it was in a thread from Mike Meier about how to get good pics of your car, but I have slept since then and cannot be sure of that! Does anyone else remember the car? I actually remember the riverboat in the background but the car was center stage! :yup:

Doug

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That is one Awesome GT... I'm curious as to whether it was for sale or on a site showing engine swaps. I also saw that this article on the swap was from July...I'm surprised it didn't come up on this forum before...Or did I miss it?

·
Senior Contributor
4,912 Posts
That is one Awesome GT... I'm curious as to whether it was for sale or on a site showing engine swaps. I also saw that this article on the swap was from July...I'm surprised it didn't come up on this forum before...Or did I miss it?
It has been on here before. His handle is Oppositelock.

·
Super Moderator
13,245 Posts
It has been on here before. His handle is Oppositelock.
Opposite lock is Dave Clark. He owns an Ascona B rallycar.

·
Senior Contributor
4,912 Posts
Hmmmmm....didn't look at your link first. Interesting that at the bottom of the article that is linked in the first post it says "Oppositelock" which is why I thought it was him.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Very nice I just saw this car somewhere about a week ago
I was talking with my son about the exhaust running down the side
It's very nice for sure

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well that is very interesting. This is my car. But I have no idea where or how that article came about. I have never given anyone these pics or discussed the car for any articles. Or most importantly given anyone permission to do so. Kind of pisses me off, as the only place all of those pics have been posted is on this site.

·
RunOpel
971 Posts
That is by far one of the most beautiful and awesome Opel GT’s that I have seen. I believe I read a thread sometime back about dash modifications and saw your dash and was very impressed with it.

I to would not be happy if I didn’t give permission for someone to use my photos in a article.

You have done an amazing modification to your GT. That engine is beyond. Nicely done ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that is very interesting. This is my car. But I have no idea where or how that article came about. I have never given anyone these pics or discussed the car for any articles. Or most importantly given anyone permission to do so. Kind of pisses me off, as the only place all of those pics have been posted is on this site.
Well, if they hadn't shared it, then I'd never had gotten to see it to appreciate it. That's a beautiful job there, man!

My question is: how the heck did you manage to fit a subaru 6 speed tranny, which tranny was it, and did you have to do any cutting to do it?

Makes me want to buy a more dilapidated Opel and fix it up just to do the same thing (the one we have is just to pretty to cut up).

·
Registered
585 Posts
The transmission is from a BRZ, it's actually smaller and lighter then the T-5 I originally had in it. As for hacking the body, that isn't what I do. The only thing I have done is remove the throttle linkage, air cleaner and radiator brackets. and that wasn't required, it was just to clean up the engine compartment as they were no longer needed. Every mod I do is done in the constraints of the body. If it won't fit I don't use it. This car has not been hacked anywhere. Since this article came out, Wilwood 12" 4 wheel disk brakes and Budnik 17" 5 lug wheels, a carbon fiber cowl induction hood with gas springs and an electric headlight rollover actuator have been added. Also new pedal assembly and clutch and brake master cylinders have been moved to the firewall. The car is currently stripped to a shell in the body shop getting the door handles and rear marker lights filled, a new rear spoiler in place of that ugly wing all for a cleaner look, and of course new paint.

Attachments

·
RunOpel
971 Posts
Oh my I’m going to say it again, that’s beautiful

If I may ask, how much money do you have in it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts