Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents have a 1973 Manta Luxus Blue Max (I'm told) with a black vinyl top that I am helping them sell. The car has never been tinkered with and hasn't been running for about 15-20yrs. My cousin believes the engine seized after something hit the undercarriage while they drove home (major oil leak back then). I still need to get out there and take some better pictures and find the VIN (anyone know where that's located on this one?) to get a the title replaced. The cars sitting under some sticker bushes now. If anyone might be interested I will beat them back and get some pics when I head back over in a couple weeks. I only cleared enough to take a peak inside and get the plate number last time. I have a few interior pics and a stock photo I found of the same model that I can send though for now. It doesn't appear to be rusted on the body, but the interior is a little rough.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
My parents have a 1973 Manta Luxus Blue Max (I'm told) with a black vinyl top that I am helping them sell. The car has never been tinkered with and hasn't been running for about 15-20yrs. My cousin believes the engine seized after something hit the undercarriage while they drove home (major oil leak back then). I still need to get out there and take some better pictures and find the VIN (anyone know where that's located on this one?) to get a the title replaced. The cars sitting under some sticker bushes now. If anyone might be interested I will beat them back and get some pics when I head back over in a couple weeks. I only cleared enough to take a peak inside and get the plate number last time. I have a few interior pics and a stock photo I found of the same model that I can send though for now. It doesn't appear to be rusted on the body, but the interior is a little rough.

I always want to see pics of Mantas

·
Opeler
109 Posts
oh yes absolutely me too.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Pictures are always good. Would also help to know where the car is located, beyond "under some sticker bushes". I owned a Blue Max, purchased new in 1973, from a dealer in White Plains, NY. I do not recall it have a "Blue Max" badge, but the Blue Max packaged included vinyl top, a hand-cranked sunroof, and velour seat covers, in blue. The sun quickly faded the carpeted rear shelf cover and the top of the back seat fabric. It came with a dealer-installed radio, in my case the cheapest piece of crap the dealer could find. When I agreed to the purchase, the back shelf and the rear seat were already faded. The purchase was made in the fall at the end of the year, and the car had obviously sat on the dealer's lot through the summer, and probably longer. The dealer agreed to replace the shelf cover and seat cover before delivery, but failed to do so. I ended up sitting with the Buick zone officer in White Plains listing my complaints before things were fixed (including replacement of the radio).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, give me a few weeks and I will post some pics of the outside of the car.

Its blue body with the black vinyl top, but I don't believe it has a sunroof. Trying to recall if it has the decal or not. I know it has a Honey Bucket sticker on the back that I added as a teen, ugh. The interior is deteriorated some and the upholstery is falling apart in front. It looks like blue velour in the front to me (i have a few inside pics i will post shortly)and some other blue fabric in the backseat which held up better. Faux wood details about dash and dark blue vinyl side interior.

Would be great if someone eventually brought it back to its glory. It was the only car that my parents ever bought that wasn't embarrassing as a child lol.

For location, its been outside under some tall trees for 15yrs or so, and the blackberry bushes grow fast over there. Not a sunny area.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Manta Luxus came with a luxury-look soft corded fabric that I previously referred to as velour. The 1973 Manta sales brochure lists the Luxus, Rallye, Manta, GT, Wagon and 1900 Sedan models. The two-page writeup on the Luxus describes only the upholstery plus an electric clock, custom headliner, woodgrain dash and door accents, and a leather-like steering wheel. along with carpeted trunk, chrome exhaust extension sport wheels and "chroma-keyed exterior paint". Two interior pictures show a blue interior and a red interior. In the back of the brochure, it it noted that extras are available on all models, although not all of the extras are listed for all models. There is no mention of the Blue Max package.

I have attached a scan of the Blue Max brochure I picked up when I bought my car. This package included automatic transmission, Strato Blue paint, sun-roof, white-wall tires and vinyl top at no additional charge, and included a Blue Max identification plaque.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the three interior pics (and the bumper pic which shows the exterior color at least) I took last trip out. Didn’t have time to clear more sticker bushes for an exterior. I’m checking with the folks today to see if they can see a sunroof, but pretty sure it didn’t have one. Maybe they can push the blackberries back enough to get some type of exterior pic (and then miraculously figure out how to use their phone for a photo 🥴). I’ll post if so.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are the three interior pics I took last trip out. Didn’t have time to clear more sticker bushes for an exterior. I’m checking with the folks today to see if they can see a sunroof, but pretty sure it didn’t have one. Maybe they can push the blackberries back enough to get some type of exterior pic (and then miraculously figure out how to use their phone for a photo 🥴). I’ll post if so.

·
Opeler
109 Posts
I am thinking this is a blue manta and perhaps not a Luxus either. I was thinking the Blue Max cars had a tach in the dash as well.

Reactions: 12thMan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m shocked. They figured out how to take and send phone pics….

these are as good as it gets until I can clear more off the car when I’m out in a few weeks.
Water Hood Azure Motor vehicle Road surface
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Grille Water Hood Azure Motor vehicle Road surface Plant Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Grille
Water Hood Azure Motor vehicle Road surface
Plant Car Tire Wheel Vehicle
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wheel
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Opeler
109 Posts
wow that's a lot of bushes. it is a luxus. for some reason my family's luxus came brand new with a tach in the dash and I have to keep remembering that was abnormal.

Reactions: 12thMan

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Sorry for the interruption. I recognize those PNW blackberries. What a pain. I have fun lopping them off at the base and feeding them into a hydraulic feed chipper which pulls them like a snake all the way down from tall trees and through tangles. Gotta watch where you stand and not while drinking beer. Now back to your regular programming.

·
Opeler
109 Posts
I just noticed the 240 or 300 benz sitting next to the opel as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just noticed the 240 or 300 benz sitting next to the opel as well.
Yes, that’s an old Benz too. Baby blue with matching hubcaps, navy interior, and I think I recall wood paneling. Made in Germany for Germany and imported is what we were told. Happy to offer it as a twofer deal

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There also a 63’ Beetle and a 70-something VW Van, if anyone has any cross over interest. All untouched originals needing restoration. The VWs are garaged for 30 years, nothing runs though, I think. Posting those on VW site

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll post on Classic Autotrader as well once we pull the VINs and get the replacement titles for the lost ones.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
wow that's a lot of bushes. it is a luxus. for some reason my family's luxus came brand new with a tach in the dash and I have to keep remembering that was abnormal.
It is a Blue Max

The vinyl top is not truly blue nor truly black and thats the give away.

You are correct the Tach was a dealer option if you wanted it, but the Luxus came with a clock.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
I’ll post on Classic Autotrader as well once we pull the VINs and get the replacement titles for the lost ones.
As-Is its not worth the cost to list it anywhere but here and facebook, which are free. It might be worth $1000 on a good day.. Probably close to $500.

Until you get it out of the weeds its not even worth that.

The Battery Box, Frame Rails, Jackpoints and floors have to be seen and documented to see if they aren't rotted. This goes for the hood and if the sun roof moves.

That said, I highly doubt that they are solid and rust free, but on the outside chance they are it could be worth a little more.

But not much. The interior is just so far gone it doesn't have much left. The interior is what make a Blue Max a Blue Max, and yours is toast.

I have a Blue Max as well, more sun damage and an accident, and its frame and battery areas are good, and don't think I could get $2000 for it.

Unless a mint condition survivor, the Blue Max aspect doesn't add value or anything to the car. The fact its a skinny bumper Manta is whats valuable, but then only if the structure isn't rotted.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts