Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just saw it too, i want it, lol. That is a slick coupe and I love the fast back treatment. GMs failure to import the complete Opel line, and sell them at any GM dealer that wanted to carry them is, IMO, one of the biggest mistakes GM ever made. That and pulling the plug on Opel completely.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,209 Posts
I've always loved the look of the Commodore A's.

Dangit, I want it!!!

Imagine what triple side-draft Webers would sound like on that baby!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The only reason can be, it`s a 1973 GT/A Commodore:lmao:
A particularly rare version of the Commodore A .....

I have a soft spot for the fastback coupes from Opel, almost bought one of these 30 years ago but common sense prevailed, even back then it wasn't an ideal car for my 350 mile weekly commute.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
So the reserve is higher than 10k for an ordinary Commodore 2500 coupe which is not strictly original and with an interior that's going to need quite a bit of work.

I'm not seeing it, it's a nice enough car and someone could have a lot of fun with it as it is but if you're going to ask 10k + it needs to be better than this one in my opinion.

I didn't look too closely for the original color but I'm pretty sure this yellow isn't it because I seriously doubt it would have come with this interior color if it was ....

There are chrome trim bits missing on the hood and trunk lid as well as badges and the cover for the fuel filler, some of which I'm sure can be difficult to track down

Interior is going to need a bit of work with front seats just about to give up the ghost, a headliner that is sagging and getting that dashboard top looking right again ..... It's also missing it's very cool looking original steering wheel

Aftermarket wheels, kinda suits the non standard color I suppose but I'd rather have the stock "Rostyle" wheels

So yeah it's nice for what it is but it's not going to appeal to too many people who aren't Opel enthusiasts and I have a feeling those would want a proper stock looking one so I'm guessing you're not going to get premium money for this one

·
Vendor
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the reserve is higher than 10k for an ordinary Commodore 2500 coupe ...
Goy,
I don't disagree with any of the points you made. I think what is interesting (and what may drive the price past the reserve) is the relative rarity of these in the US. This is the only one I recall seeing for sale since I've been following Opels on eBay. Good VW Beetles are routinely fetching >$10K over here, and there are many more of them to choose from. I'll keep an eye on this auction and see where it lands this time.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Goy,
I don't disagree with any of the points you made. I think what is interesting (and what may drive the price past the reserve) is the relative rarity of these in the US. This is the only one I recall seeing for sale since I've been following Opels on eBay. Good VW Beetles are routinely fetching >$10K over here, and there are many more of them to choose from. I'll keep an eye on this auction and see where it lands this time.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy
Which is a good point, but it still has to be a customer base looking for this car and would those people be prepared to pay this kind of money for a non original car ?

Don't ask me what's driving the VW Bug market up because I've never understood their popularity, not even as a cheap car. But it has a huge following and it's a case of supply and demand, that bit I do get, I just don't see where the demand for a non stock Opel Commodore comes from in which case the supply is higher than the demand

Now a stock (and complete) Commodore Coupe in this overall condition I could see going for quite a bit of money, I could name a couple of people on this board who might be interested, but this particular car ?

For the same kind of money you could buy this one and have it shipped to the US, it's sitting at a dealership in Germany so they could help out with shipping arrangements as well

Or for a bit more money you can have this one

Supply and demand ...... yes I agree, it all comes down to that

·
Vendor
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Auction ended, reserve not met @ $8100 and 28 bids this time.
(He probably should have sold the car for the ~10K it got after the first
auction. :yup: )
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts