Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I'm new to rebuilding cars and i just got this 1973 Opel GT from my stepdad to work on and if i get it running its mine, I have to replace the spark plugs, drain the gas from the gas tank to the carburetor, do an oil change and then i can start on repairing other parts such as the interior, lens covers, turn signals, and the air filter. I think i can do all of that but what I need help with is understanding what to fix in the engine, on the exterior and such.

Thank you for taking your time to read this :)

·
Opeler
756 Posts
Welcome! I would do a search on this forum and you will find threads for all of your questions. If you post some pics, we can see better what it needs. off the top of my head, here is what I look for:
Plugs removed, of course; drain cooling system, inspect hoses, radiator and thermostat; flush and refill with coolant; check/replace points and condenser, cap rotor and wires; check condition of wires in the engine compartment (look for corrosion and broken/mouse-eaten wires); inspect carb and make sure there are no obvious leaks; you may want to remove to top of the carb and look inside to see if there is any debris in the float chamber.
Also, you may want to do your initial run of the engine with an external can of fuel, as the gas tank may most likely have a lot of crud in the bottom which will clog your fuel system.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! I would do a search on this forum and you will find threads for all of your questions. If you post some pics, we can see better what it needs. off the top of my head, here is what I look for:
Plugs removed, of course; drain cooling system, inspect hoses, radiator and thermostat; flush and refill with coolant; check/replace points and condenser, cap rotor and wires; check condition of wires in the engine compartment (look for corrosion and broken/mouse-eaten wires); inspect carb and make sure there are no obvious leaks; you may want to remove to top of the carb and look inside to see if there is any debris in the float chamber.
Also, you may want to do your initial run of the engine with an external can of fuel, as the gas tank may most likely have a lot of crud in the bottom which will clog your fuel system.
Good luck.
So Today i went to replace the Spark plugs and the wires connecting to the plugs are broke, i also drained the fuel line and tank as well as the oil, all i needed was the spark plugs to work and it wouldve ran :((

·
Opeler
756 Posts
So Today i went to replace the Spark plugs and the wires connecting to the plugs are broke, i also drained the fuel line and tank as well as the oil, all i needed was the spark plugs to work and it wouldve ran :((
Not surprising. Rubber deteriorates after many years. Hoses, belts, seals, etc. all rot or fall apart over time. Plastic, too. Still, it's an easy fix.

·
Über Genius
9,461 Posts
OK, so we know who you are, how old are you? Our advice may be different if you're 14 vs 24.

There are a lot of people who would look over your car if they live close enough.

The first thing I do on ANY car that's sat a while is to see if the engine turns over.

Reactions: okieopel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so we know who you are, how old are you? Our advice may be different if you're 14 vs 24.

There are a lot of people who would look over your car if they live close enough.

The first thing I do on ANY car that's sat a while is to see if the engine turns over.
I am 19, and i figured out the reason that it wasnt starting was because the battery was just straight up dead and wouldnt catch a charge, so i need to go get a new/used one and then retry it before doing anything else to it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I suggest you read this:

·
UngerDog
1,314 Posts
It might be helpful to know how long the car has been sitting and what was the issue(s) before it was parked. Did the spark plug wires break when you tried pulling them off the plugs, or were they obviously rotted, or chewed through by mice or rats?

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
399 Posts
I suggest you read this:
Hey thats my post!:)

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
399 Posts
Also is the car rusted out that bad? And do you have any pics?

Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts