Opel GT Forum banner

1973 Opel for Project Car

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Young Gt Lover 
#1 ·
Hey all

I'm new to rebuilding cars and i just got this 1973 Opel GT from my stepdad to work on and if i get it running its mine, I have to replace the spark plugs, drain the gas from the gas tank to the carburetor, do an oil change and then i can start on repairing other parts such as the interior, lens covers, turn signals, and the air filter. I think i can do all of that but what I need help with is understanding what to fix in the engine, on the exterior and such.

Thank you for taking your time to read this :)

#5 ·
Welcome! I would do a search on this forum and you will find threads for all of your questions. If you post some pics, we can see better what it needs. off the top of my head, here is what I look for:
Plugs removed, of course; drain cooling system, inspect hoses, radiator and thermostat; flush and refill with coolant; check/replace points and condenser, cap rotor and wires; check condition of wires in the engine compartment (look for corrosion and broken/mouse-eaten wires); inspect carb and make sure there are no obvious leaks; you may want to remove to top of the carb and look inside to see if there is any debris in the float chamber.
Also, you may want to do your initial run of the engine with an external can of fuel, as the gas tank may most likely have a lot of crud in the bottom which will clog your fuel system.
Good luck.

#6 ·
Welcome! I would do a search on this forum and you will find threads for all of your questions. If you post some pics, we can see better what it needs. off the top of my head, here is what I look for:
Plugs removed, of course; drain cooling system, inspect hoses, radiator and thermostat; flush and refill with coolant; check/replace points and condenser, cap rotor and wires; check condition of wires in the engine compartment (look for corrosion and broken/mouse-eaten wires); inspect carb and make sure there are no obvious leaks; you may want to remove to top of the carb and look inside to see if there is any debris in the float chamber.
Also, you may want to do your initial run of the engine with an external can of fuel, as the gas tank may most likely have a lot of crud in the bottom which will clog your fuel system.
Good luck.
So Today i went to replace the Spark plugs and the wires connecting to the plugs are broke, i also drained the fuel line and tank as well as the oil, all i needed was the spark plugs to work and it wouldve ran :((

#8 ·
OK, so we know who you are, how old are you? Our advice may be different if you're 14 vs 24.

There are a lot of people who would look over your car if they live close enough.

The first thing I do on ANY car that's sat a while is to see if the engine turns over.

Reactions: okieopel
#10 ·
I suggest you read this:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.