Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across a Manta for sale on eBay.ca (eBay Canada) a while back, in my home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. It was donated to and is being sold to raise money by a group called Teen Challenge (which assists teens who are have substance abuse problems).
I provided some advice about pricing, and also hooked them up to Charles Goin and Rob Cassidy as the two experts on Mantas. Anyway, they had started off asking too much money (although the car looks to be in fairly decent condition), but now they have re-listed it at a starting price of $3250 CAD (about $2682 USD) so it is in the right range now. It is also interesting as it has had a 5-speed installed, apparently from an S-10 (so probably a T-5). Here are a couple of photos. I also listed it in our ad board at http://opelgt.com/ppc/showproduct.php?product=603 . More photos are on the eBay listing at http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561568036&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT Sure would be nice to give this car a good home, and support a good cause at the same time.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
From the pictures, it looks like there has been some body work. There isn't a front side marker, unless they weren't required in Canada back in '74. It does have rear marker lights. Hmmmm.

U.S. models needed marker lights starting in '68.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
1974 U.S. spec car

OK...before the confusion begins....
There were no Canadian spec Manta's as far as I can tell.
This one is a US car (MPH speedo) which has been exported to Canada.
I suspect the previous owner was a Brit (AA badge in grill), and when he replaced the front fenders he sourced a pair from UK/Europe (note the chrome bumper mounting boss on the fenders).
JM2cW
Rob.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rionart said:
OK...before the confusion begins....
There were no Canadian spec Manta's as far as I can tell.
This one is a US car (MPH speedo) which has been exported to Canada.
I suspect the previous owner was a Brit (AA badge in grill), and when he replaced the front fenders he sourced a pair from UK/Europe (note the chrome bumper mounting boss on the fenders).
JM2cW
Rob.
Well, the mph speedo isn't an indicator, since SI (System International, aka "metric") didn't come into Canada (at least for speedos and road speeds and such) until 1978. I have heard that Mantas never came into Canada, but I had seen several Mantas when I lived in Winnipeg in the '70's and early 80's. But NEVER an Ascona. So perhaps Mantas were "gray-marketed" (or were military imports, since there are a couple of Armed Forces bases in and around the area)?

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
A very "Grey" area....!

When I first got here I assumed that all the models sold in the US were also available in Canada, but since talking to some of the 'old car' fraternity around Toronto, it appears that only Kadetts, then GT's made it North of the border.
I have talked to a few people who remember seeing Manta's in the 70's, so I agree with Keith that they were either grey imported by some of the dealers or a bunch of people brought then back from the 'States....I have no idea what (if any) restrictions were in place then for cross border imports.
I guess I'll have to pick the brains of the coffin dodgers at Timmie's next time I see them.... :confused:

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manta Luxus for sale again

The Manta that I posted the ad for in July is listed again on eBay. I chatted with the group that is selling it (it is a Teen Help group, who had the Manta donated as a fund raiser and then did a bunch of restoration), and they are somewhat desperate to sell as they need to get it out of the garage it is stored in before winter. You can see the ad here on OGT.com at http://opelgt.com/ppc/showproduct.php?product=603 and on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4572348487&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT. Current price, with 8 days left and no reserve, is only $550 CAD (about $460 USD) which is a steal even with the shipping cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
What carb?

kwilford said:
I ran across a Manta for sale on eBay.ca (eBay Canada) a while back, in my home town of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. It was donated to and is being sold to raise money by a group called Teen Challenge (which assists teens who are have substance abuse problems).
I provided some advice about pricing, and also hooked them up to Charles Goin and Rob Cassidy as the two experts on Mantas. Anyway, they had started off asking too much money (although the car looks to be in fairly decent condition), but now they have re-listed it at a starting price of $3250 CAD (about $2682 USD) so it is in the right range now. It is also interesting as it has had a 5-speed installed, apparently from an S-10 (so probably a T-5). Here are a couple of photos. I also listed it in our ad board at http://opelgt.com/ppc/showproduct.php?product=603 . More photos are on the eBay listing at http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4561568036&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT Sure would be nice to give this car a good home, and support a good cause at the same time.
Looking at the engine bay pic, just curious . . . what carb is that? :confused: Doesn't look like stock air cleaner . . .

·
792 Posts
I spoke with the owner of the car (the guy who donated the car). He has had a lot of work done on the car and the way he described the car it does indeed sound like a very good value. It does have some frame rail damage and the rebuild was done with headers, 3/4 cam and dish pistons by MantaPart in Ohio.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
azopelnut said:
I spoke with the owner of the car (the guy who donated the car). He has had a lot of work done on the car and the way he described the car it does indeed sound like a very good value. It does have some frame rail damage and the rebuild was done with headers, 3/4 cam and dish pistons by MantaPart in Ohio.
So that explains the T-5 out of the S-10, since MantaPart apparently sold an adaptor plate for that conversion.
This is sounding like a VERY interesting car. I kinda' suggested to Myrna tonight that a "...REAL collector has to have more than one car of the model he collects. In fact, he should really have one of EACH model..." And since I used to have a Kadett, I guess I am just missing a Manta. And Myrna HAD mentioned at the OMC Picnic how nice she thought the Manta's looked. And her response? "...get that piece of junk station wagon (ouch, that's my SportWagon she's dissing!) off of the driveway and you can buy the Manta..." And she mentioned a FEW other things that she would be getting in exchange. Like a dog, and I expect that few other items will come up. Hmm, that almost sounds like "management approval"!

It IS in my old home town. I am SURE that Mom (who still lives in Winnipeg) wouldn't mind another car in her garage (or at the lake) this winter. And I WAS planning on going to WinterPeg this fall for work (we're drilling a bunch of wells in Manitoba right this very minute!) and I have to close the cottage up anyway. And ...

OK, 6 days to go in the auction. We'll have to see if it stays a bargain. Yikes. What am I SAYING!!!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
all is lost :D let us know what its like when you get it keith LOL
bte when are you going to work out that the only way to keep the drive clear of tjose "junk cars " is to get a bigger house with a large garage out back that can house a colection of classic cars in airconditioned eligence

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still not anywhere CLOSE to really thinking about buying this Manta. First, I would have to undergo significant psychiatric evaluation to see if the brain damage is irreversible (DON'T ANSWER THAT! :eek: ) and then I would have to check with my accountant to see how well I could get by on half of what I own now (since divorce might be one of the "other" things that form management's approval). Then there would be the physical limitation I would be subject to, what with having one arm ripped off and being beaten over the head with the "wet end". :(

baz said:
bte when are you going to work out that the only way to keep the drive clear of those "junk cars " is to get a bigger house with a large garage out back that can house a collection of classic cars in air conditioned elegance
That would certainly be the "plan" baz. As much as it pains me to see gas priced at $3 a gallon (it's something like $4 USD a US gallon here, at $1.14 CAD a litre as of yesterday), my ability to eventually afford an acreage and a 6 car garage is more than a bit reflected in the price of energy. I have a few colleagues that have achieved that result. One has two 3-car garages, and a car in every spot. The other owns a 6000 sq ft aircraft hangar and Piper Aero on one side and a Murphy Moose kit plane he is building on the other (he's retired at the ripe old age of 47!). When Grand Banks Energy (where I am in management) shares get to $6, I might just be able to afford the cars, if not the garage. And $10/mmcf gas and $70/bbl oil sure helps that along

Anyway, if anyone is interested in this Manta, PLEASE go ahead and bid, and DO NOT let my possible interest dissuade you from this car.

·
Super Moderator
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sold this time

The Winnipeg Manta sold, but for only $1452 CAD, which is about $1228 USD. Fortunately it went over my limit of $1000 CAD, or I might have been typing this from the hotel down the street (you know, where ex-husbands go).

Anyway, the buyer looks like a car dealer in St. Catherines, Ontario, so at least it stayed in Canada. Odd car for a dealer to buy, but I'll see if I can pass on my name and find out what happens to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts