Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located near Lexington, KY
has a Kentucky "Project" Title From what I have been told by multiple people, in Kentucky, to proceed from a Project title to a regular the car has to be presented in running order and go through the same inspection as an out of state titled car would.

Car is in rough shape. Three years ago was the last time I did anything with it. At that time I was able to start the car and drive it in and out of garage. I do not know if that holds true today. The windshield is cracked all other glass is in goo condition. The rear wing/pop out windows are in a box, inside my house.
Engine - 4 cyl
Transmission - manual 3 speed (a second 4 speed transmission comes with it)

$950 obo
Let me know what questions you have

Donnie

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive exterior
Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tire
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I'll be honest with you, that's a $100 parts car. All the fenders are chopped out, rusted, or dented, no floor pan, rockers are probably toast, rust everywhere, no windshield. Good luck.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
399 Posts
Is that a weber carb on it? Is it in good condition and does it work good.

Thanks Sam

·
Registered
791 Posts
rockers are probably toast
Probably? It looks like the rocker rapture of Revelations happened and they ascended to another plane of existence. :D

Automotive tire Tread Bumper Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Grass Asphalt Landscape Soil

If engine could be demonstrated to run, maybe that has some value? That said, any time I hear that it ran when parked, but the owner has no idea if that's still the case, what my brain presumes is "This is not the case, but I hope you hope that it is." Since it's obviously a huge part of the value of the car, and you'd definitely say that it was running if it was, if you say you're not sure... that's a no.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
399 Posts
Probably? It looks like the rocker rapture of Revelations happened and they ascended to another plane of existence. :D

View attachment 437856

View attachment 437857

If engine could be demonstrated to run, maybe that has some value? That said, any time I hear that it ran when parked, but the owner has no idea if that's still the case, what my brain presumes is "This is not the case, but I hope you hope that it is." Since it's obviously a huge part of the value of the car, and you'd definitely say that it was running if it was, if you say you're not sure... that's a no.
I didn't even see that there were no rockers on it the first time I looked at it. That is bad.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
All I can say is WOW.......I also missed the fact that the rockers were not part of the picture.......the seats look a little faded as well. Way too much work when you can buy something already mostly done for a fair price.

·
Opeler
659 Posts
Wow, I've never seen one so bad. Probably no usable metal left. Good luck. If you want to part it out let me know. Might be some usable parts.

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
There is also no such thing as a 1974 GT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since it's obviously a huge part of the value of the car, and you'd definitely say that it was running if it was, if you say you're not sure... that's a no.
Think what you want to think. I know a 3 year old video of it running isn't going to do anyone any good. If I get inspired, I'll get it fired again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that a weber carb on it? Is it in good condition and does it work good.

Thanks Sam

Hey Sam,

The carb is a Weber. I'll try to get the car running this weekend. When I previously had it running, I did a partial rebuild/clean of the carb. At that time the car would idle fine. I don't know how well it would have worked under a real load or in a hot engine bay. (don't tell the other guys on here, but I realize the only value is in the mechanical pieces)

Donnie

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The engines generally aren’t worth much. I have a couple extras that were given to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Great story crewchef. Hemmings listed above. Thanks for passing that on.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Chances are if it’s a 73’, the original cylinder head is long gone and the engine has got a better one on it now. Nobody has “given “ me any engines, but I purchased a badly needed transmission since I wore out the rear bearing on my original, together with a 73’ engine & rear end, the engine has a 71’ cylinder head, there’s actually people paying good money for those. If you lift the valve cover off the 2 digit number is stamped on the drivers side.

If you decide to part it out I’m interested in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Think what you want to think. I know a 3 year old video of it running isn't going to do anyone any good. If I get inspired, I'll get it fired again.
For what it's worth, I wasn't implying you weren't being honest about it running 3 years ago. I buy that. People usually give the strongest version of the truth that's still the truth, without the whole truth.

I'm saying that, without knowing anything at all about you to judge either way, it's a general red flag to me where I'll say "bullshit" if someone claims they didn't even try to start it before going through the effort of making an ad and selling it. Because, why would you lose momentum and interest of those selling by figuring it out later, or risk taking a lower offer, if you can get it started? It's the first thing you'd do, because it's the first thing you'd say about it when you go to sell it.

So I'll say bullshit that you "don't know" if it's running. What that means is that you do know, and what you know that it is actually not running, and you think it might be possible to get it running with a medium amount of work, but even then it was too much effort, so you were hoping someone would just presume wrong and buy. At least, I'll say that with general skepticism, in a "I just have to presume this is the case", not in an actual accusation that you're being misleading, because I know nothing of you or your character. I think any reasonable person would have to presume you're lying, it would be foolish not to, because it is exactly what a person who wanted to hide behind the thinnest version of the truth would (and often do) say, and we can't tell you from that kind of person.

This is why most people, who want to be honest, before they even make an ad, will do their best to try or to get the vehicle running. It's kinda premature to attempt selling it until you've done that, bit of a waste of time.

·
Super Moderator
5,973 Posts
Sure there is. They're the ones that have the manual 3 speed installed.
And they also moved the back-up light under the license plate again.
Thomas
And in case the OP missed the intent of Thomas' post, he is pointing out that there was never a '74 Opel GT, nor a GT with a 3-speed manual (although there was a 3-speed automatic), and the '73 Opel GT in North America had the Manta taillights with the reverse lamp in the lenses, and not the centre reverse lamp. The wheels are the '73-only Rostyle, so that fits. But the other things do not. What is the VIN on the dash?

Reactions: 72Rallye

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And in case the OP missed the intent of Thomas' post, he is pointing out that there was never a '74 Opel GT, nor a GT with a 3-speed manual (although there was a 3-speed automatic), and the '73 Opel GT in North America had the Manta taillights with the reverse lamp in the lenses, and not the centre reverse lamp. The wheels are the '73-only Rostyle, so that fits. But the other things do not. What is the VIN on the dash?
That is embarrassing, I'm not sure why I thought it had a 3-speed manual. So, I have two 4-speed manual transmissions.

and for the other guys here are two links of the engine running, tonight. I cleaned the points and I did use some spray to start the engine. It obviously doesn't run for more that a few seconds. Safe guess that the carb float is stuck closed (sorry Sam). Oil is water free.

Sorry, both videos are portrait.

If you live close and want the parts, send me a message, I'll let the whole car go for not much money (I never expected to get 950).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts