Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1977 "Buick/Opel" Kadett for sale recently. After doing some research I was advised that this is not a true German Opel, rather the Isuzu produced spinoff that was sold by Buick.

Is this the same car as the 1976 Opel Kadett ? How rare is this car? Are parts still available?.... etc etc

Please feel free to add on any other info you have.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is a GM T body that was designed by Opel. It was GM's first "world car" and was made at various locations around the world. It is known more commonly as a Isuzu or Holden Gemini in other markets. There seems to be a strong following in Australia for these cars.

Holden-Isuzu Gemini Workshop Manual :: Index

I hear that some parts do interchange, but some do not. I know the motors are Isuzu motors and I believe the grill and dashes are different from their Opel cousins. George.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
There is a Kaddet C for sale.. and a posting there about it had the differences.

The Suspension on the Opel/Isuzu is the Opel Kadett suspension and rare (But readily available in europe.. This changed on the Isuzu I-mark the suspension changed to more like the Chevette suspension. But the motors are the same as are the transmissions.

The body also spawned the Isuzu Impulse, Chevy Chevette, etc...

My brother got one and drove it for about 5 years. Thats how I know that odd fact..

Charles

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
I bought a new base Buick/Opel coupe in 1978 to use in SCCA showroom stock racing.
It was not very refined on the street compared to many of the other similar cars in that price range and never sold very well due to bad press reviews.

It did perform pretty good on the track however, because of it's stiff suspension and pretty good power. The brakes sucked though and required
allot of work between race sessions to get rid of the rear brake grab and lockup.

I'd only ever buy another one to either prepare for racing or just to have something different on the road. Just don't have very high expectations.

Btw. the S/C sporty model was sprung even stiffer and a real bone jareer on rough
roads.

Not many have survived because they rusted before your eyes in most areas of the country like most cars of the era.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is my 75 Kadett C.
The main differences I can see are the bumpers, the addition of rear reg. plate lights and the vents behind the rear side windows.
As for the same suspension/drivetrain, I don't know.
If you post some pics maybe I could tell you from them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Nice ride, I think if a Isuzu model presented itself to me it would be turned into a Kadett clone. The smaller bumpers really make for a clean look on the Kadett.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
Here in Europe the "C" Kadett coupé is a kind of cult car like the "A" Manta, especially in Germany.
I think that there were 3 engines used, the 1.2, 1.6 and the 2.0E

Google for pictures of the Kadett C :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts