Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
engines

Can anyone tell me what are the differances between the 19s and the 19a,started the tear down on an 19a ,are there any changes betwen the two,any info would be a help

·
Registered
53 Posts
I assume you call it a 19A engine, because this number is stamped into the cylinder head. This number just means it is a 4-bearing head. The engine number is stamped into the engine block and will identify it as an 19S or 19E (or 19US, but never seen one).
Thomas
72 Rallye

·
137 Posts
19E Stamped blocks

The engine number is stamped into the engine block and will identify it as an 19S or 19E (or 19US, but never seen one).

What is the difference in engine blocks stamped "19E" and those stamped "19S"?
I have three blocks stamped "19S" and one stamped "19E".

Thanks ...

Ken

·
587 Posts
svopel said:
What is the difference in engine blocks stamped "19E" and those stamped "19S"?
I have three blocks stamped "19S" and one stamped "19E".

Thanks ...

Ken

Ken,

I believe the "19E" block is for the 75 Elec fuel injected cars. My new engine I built with the 265 Chevy pistons has this block. The only difference I noticed is the water plug near the oil send unit is 18mm instead of the14 mm plug that is in the earlier till 74 blocks. I think this is due to where the heater hose was moved to because of the fuel injection. I removed the heater hose nipple & put in the 18mm plug. A 2.2 block I checked also has the 18mm hose nipple on it.

~ Tom C.

·
137 Posts
Thanks Tom

That's the only difference visible to me also ... I was hoping for some kind of performance advantage ... LOL

Ken

·
Super Moderator
13,845 Posts
svopel said:
Thanks Tom

That's the only difference visible to me also ... I was hoping for some kind of performance advantage ... LOL

Ken
Performance advantage? Sure is, the block is lighter......
After all it has a 4mm larger coolant hole, right? :p

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Lighter block!

RallyBob said:
Performance advantage? Sure is, the block is lighter......
After all it has a 4mm larger coolant hole, right? :p
As Bob always says, every little bit helps! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts