Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- Does anyone know what sources are available to import the 2.0 Liter 16V Calibra engines to the united States, and what the costs are? Also, is there any information on the swap into the GT available on the net (German Language sites are ok)? All that I have found so far in my search is pics... Thanks - Adam Marshall

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Opel GT Source would be the primary importer. There's also a place in Massachusetts that does Lotus 7 replicas (Caterham?), and they are commonly fitted with the Opel/Vauxhall 2.0 16V in the UK, therefore a few have made it over here through them. They're costly however, they wanted about $4k for an engine, and you still need to source the 5 speed Getrag from a 1.8 litre OHC Manta B chassis to make it all work.

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found some info so far

I emailed Opel GT source, they quoted me a price 4800 for the C20LET turbo engine. I dont know if this is expensive really, although it seems such. My neighbor bought a sr20det engine from japan. the package included the entire front clip of the car, and shipped to his door only cost around 3k. With all the Vauxhalls and Opels in europe, i would think that these motors would not be too rare, but I dont know for sure. I am going to be in germany next year, and so I will look into it then, any more information that anyone has would be appreciated.

·
Opeler
30 Posts
Part of the reason of the cost difference between the European motor and your friends' Japanese motor is the dollar value difference. Last I checked the Japanese Yen was much weaker than the US Dollar, where as the British Pound was nearly $1.60 US per 1 Pound.

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
67ctls said:
Hi- Does anyone know what sources are available to import the 2.0 Liter 16V Calibra engines to the united States, and what the costs are?
Funny you should mention this. I have done some reserch on this very thing. The Saturn L100 & L200 series uses the 2.2 & 2.4 16V motors from the Opel Astra. Also Saturn L300 and the Cadillac Catera use the 3.0 Opel V6. The problem is Saturn is front wheel drive. The Catera is rear wheel drive, but the parts are expensive. I have done about all I can trying to find Info on trans swaps, and can find nothing. Also herd that the new Chevy Cavalier will be based on a Opel. Anyone want to look further into this?

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
I have also considered using the newer Ecotec engines (such as the Saturn/Opel 2.2 litre), but there are a few glitches to consider. First, the transmission issue, but a decent adapter can be made to fit nearly anything. Secondly, and most importantly, there is the matter of the OBD 2 system. This would require that virtually every part of the donor car's emission (charcoal canister, EGR, catalytic converter, sealed fuel tank) system be retained for the transplant, otherwise a fault code will show and the engine *may* go into limp mode. Then it's a trip to the Saturn dealer for *warranty* work, as you need specialized equipment to reset the ECU.
I'm not sure about the Saturns, but a lot of newer cars have the speed sensor for the ECU built into the transmission, so removing the Saturn tranny and/or changing gear ratios or tire diameters may cause ECU problems. Alternatively, you could use an aftermarket programmable ECU, but this obviously adds considerable cost to the mix and not everyone has the ability and facilities to tune an engine from scratch. Things to think about anyway....

Bob

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
RallyBob said:
and most importantly, there is the matter of the OBD 2 system. This would require that virtually every part of the donor car's emission (charcoal canister, EGR, catalytic converter, sealed fuel tank) system be retained for the transplant, otherwise a fault code will show and the engine *may* go into limp mode. Then it's a trip to the Saturn dealer for *warranty* work, as you need specialized equipment to reset the ECU.
I'm not sure about the Saturns, but a lot of newer cars have the speed sensor for the ECU built into the transmission, so removing the Saturn tranny and/or changing gear ratios or tire diameters may cause ECU problems.

Bob
Since the Opel is a antique would you really need the up to date emissions, or could it be eliminated? Or what I mean is can that part of the computer be shut off and the motor still run? I know you need the sealed fuel tank for the fuel injection, but do you need the catalytic converter, ERG, and charcoal canister?

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
That's the catch...you DO need all that stuff for the ECU to operate correctly, or you *may* find the car won't go beyond 35 mph in 'limp' mode. The car manufacturers have done a pretty swell job of locking us average folks out of the loop when it comes to modifying the ECU's. Everything is integrated, you can't shut off specific areas. Some cars even will even cause problems if you change the braking system, they use the ABS sensors as part of the OBD 2 system.

My WRX, for example, cause a MIL (malfunction indicator light) to go off because I tightened my gas cap to only *one* click, not the prerequisite *two* clicks, which is cause for emissions failure. And besides, in most states, updating an older chassis with a modern driveline means you have to pass the emissions standards for the year of the engine, NOT for the year of the chassis. Heck, in Connecticut last year, some of the car rental companies were using the OBD 2 systems to track and record the speeds cars were traveling at, and were subjecting the renters to fines....thankfully that was thrown out of court.

*Sigh*, time to get my bicycle back out, this new technology is killing me....

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,466 Posts
I thought I herd something about rental companies using this info against people that had rented cars from them.

To bad the car owners cant use the same info against dealerships.

I can still hear my friend when he worked for Mazda.

"you gotta drive a TT RX7 you gotta drive a TT RX7"

"man that things gets to 120mph like nothing flat"

if only the owner knew.

67ctls
one option might be to contact some kit car companies.

i thought i herd something about them using the ecotec motor in some Caterham/Lotus-7, type kit cars

if you could find QEDs web site
or some of the other English web sites you might be able to find out more info

good luck
Davegt74

hey i found QED's web site

http://www.qednet.demon.co.uk/

http://freespace.virgin.net/alex.wong/catlinks.htm

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
S-10 again

The S-10 version of the Ecotec 2.2 uses slightly less exotic fuel injection system, and it is already coupled to a transmission going the right direction.

My sand rail uses a 89 MPFI 2.8 v-6 with DIS, and the wiring and sensor hook-up was rather straight-forward after I got the right wiring diagram. Don't get me wrong, there are some 45-50 odd wires the computor needs, and a slew of sensors, but the connectors almost won't go together the wrong way. The newer ones, since 94 or so, actually use fewer relays and such, but more sensors and control wires, which results in less overall wiring.

Even in the S-10 the 2.2 is rated at @ 160hp. With no modifications to the motor or fuel system at all that would yeild an overdrive equipped, 30 mpg+, pleasingly fast car capable of doing today's highway speeds all day long. As soon as I find a roll-over or similarly priced doner S-10 I will be doing this swap myself, but if someone beats me to it please let me help!

·
Super Moderator
13,576 Posts
Maybe I should have clarified that OBD 2 is only on US spec cars from 1998 and newer, cars built before 1998 but after 1993 had OBD 1, and cars prior had no On-Board Diagnostic system (at least not federally mandated).

That's interesting about the S-10 getting an Ecotec engine. This is the newest model then (2001-2003)? Wow, GM is getting ballsy putting an all-aluminum twin cam 16 valve into a pickup! It wasn't long ago they had 'Iron Dukes' in the S-10's! Hmmm, this may warrant a bit more investigation.....

Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,798 Posts
name game

I guess I spoke (or typed) too soon. It would seem that the new S-10's have what they are now calling a vortec 2.2. I'd swear they were calling it an ecotec months ago, and who ever heard of a vortec 4 cylinder? Sorry to get your hopes up, Bob.:(

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Re: name game

oldopelguy said:
I guess I spoke (or typed) too soon. It would seem that the new S-10's have what they are now calling a vortec 2.2. I'd swear they were calling it an ecotec months ago, and who ever heard of a vortec 4 cylinder?
Hey you are on to something here. It seams the Vortec is also an Opel motor to, just not 16V. But while it lacks the 16V head it more than makes up in after market proformance. Try this link, then read the 3rd and 4th paragraph.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/vortec/news/press3.html

This could be something since the trans is about right for an Opel, and cheeper than the Ecotec. If i'm not mistaken there are turbos and goodys for the vortec, and the price is within reach of most of us. (poor folk like me)

·
GT Resurrectionist
67 Posts
Could be worth a try. looks like the Only potential problem in fitting it would be exaust on drivers side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay i know this may be old but i found it while looking up some other s-10 swap....the 2.2 Vortec is the base engine it is an inline 4 makes only 120hp and 140 torque...the ecotec is in the cavalier 2000+ and sunfire, and a few saturns and pontiacs and an oldsmobile and i had heard the opel used the ecotec....anyways the Ecotec (129-143hp 129-152 ft/lb torque)has a growing aftermarket in america with chevy now having a raceteam using a stock block Ecotec runnign 8's or faster and most of the parts used available from goodwrench...heres a link to the chevy engines...once again i know this is old but i just now found it and thought id share some knowledge http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/?section=Automotive&layer=BusinessParts&action=open&page=0

·
Driver
987 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts