Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my 1.9 is leaking at top of timing case I am contemplating fitting a 2.0 from an '80-'84 Opel Rekord into my GT.
Pic of engine No below.

Am wondering if exhaust valves are unleaded friendly and what is power rating.

Thanks in advance,

James.

·
Opeler
3,641 Posts
The valve seats make the difference, not valves. You should check your cylinder head marking. The attached pics are for 2.2 head but it should be the same for 2.0 head.
“X” stand for cylinder head with non-hardened seats (leaded gasoline).
Cylinder head without “X” is already prepared for unleaded fuel.

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,259 Posts
Heads with inserts for unleaded gas are marked with a P before the displacement number, like P2E. https://goo.gl/images/PWngeV
As far as I know, X means four cam bearings and R a cam without a groove in the first journal.
What is the purpose of the groove? I have an XR2E head myself.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It is for the oil delivery to the bearing. Why they changed it around 1980 I don't know. It is important to know that you can use a grooved cam in any head, but you can't use an un-grooved cam in a head for a grooved cam.

·
Opeler
3,641 Posts
What is the purpose of the groove? I have an XR2E head myself.
The grove on the first cam journal allows flow of oil to the camshaft bearings and lifters. When inserting cam bearing it could be tricky to properly line up the hole on the bearing with the passage in the cylinder head, which would cause restricted flow of oil. Most aftermarket bearings require additional drilling to fully line up oil passage.

Opel eventually replaced the grove on the cam with the grove in the cylinder head around the bearing. That eliminated possibility for misalignment and made the production process easier.

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,259 Posts
The grove on the first cam journal allows flow of oil to the camshaft bearings and lifters. When inserting cam bearing it could be tricky to properly line up the hole on the bearing with the passage in the cylinder head, which would cause restricted flow of oil. Most aftermarket bearings require additional drilling to fully line up oil passage.

Opel eventually replaced the grove on the cam with the grove in the cylinder head around the bearing. That eliminated possibility for misalignment and made the production process easier.
Oh that’s cool I learn something new about these engine daily.

·
Opeler
3,641 Posts
Looks like I will have to keep some lead additive to hand if I go ahead with it.
Most of us in North America are running “X” cylinder head intended for leaded fuel. Using unleaded fuel will not cause immediate issue. Some say that it might shorten the life of valves; others say that this has been blown out of proportion. https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/127758/unleaded-gasoline-and-classic-cars-a-mechanic-s-viewpoint
Whatever the case might be, I have been running my 2.5 engine (10.4 CR) without issues now almost 30,000 miles.

I have an XR2E head myself.
The XR2 head was used on 2.0 litre carbureted engines.
XR2E was used on 2.0 fuel injected engines. “E” stands for “Einspritz”. Those engines had better casting and higher compression rate due to 1 mm lower head (102 vs. 103 mm). I understand that this head is fairly rare. You are lucky guy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A little bit OT, but I have heard that the P-heads are crack prone around the seat inserts when ported due to lack of material thickness. Shouldn't be a problem in a stock engine, at least my -88 Manta GSi engine had no head cracking issues during the 300000km it racked up under my ownership.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most of us in North America are running “X” cylinder head intended for leaded fuel. Using unleaded fuel will not cause immediate issue. Some say that it might shorten the life of valves; others say that this has been blown out of proportion. https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/127758/unleaded-gasoline-and-classic-cars-a-mechanic-s-viewpoint
Whatever the case might be, I have been running my 2.5 engine (10.4 CR) without issues now almost 30,000 miles.

The XR2 head was used on 2.0 litre carbureted engines.
XR2E was used on 2.0 fuel injected engines. “E” stands for “Einspritz”. Those engines had better casting and higher compression rate due to 1 mm lower head (102 vs. 103 mm). I understand that this head is fairly rare. You are lucky guy.
I understand that a XR2E head is rare in the US, but there were hundreds of thousands of 20E engines made from -78 to -88 in Kadett C:s, Rekord E:s, Ascona/manta B:s and Senator/Monza A:s.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And then rebuild the 1.9 into a 2.4 16V screamer. Go on, you know you want to.
He He! An acquaintance has a 2.4 CIH (incl. complete 2.2 injection set up) with no immediate use for it. Sorely tempted but have other more pressing issues at the min. I must say the 1.9 has enough go for me. Standard 2.0 would be more than ample. Out of curiosity, is there benefit of fitting 2.0 head to 1.9 over complete engine?

·
Opelitis afflicted
530 Posts
I've also been considering the 2.0 into mine but I like the power I'm getting from the 1.9 with a 2" exhaust back to 2 resonator tips and the Weber 38. I also just got the stainless exhaust manifold from OGTS and it's so shiny:cool: Hope to get that and a 5 speed in next weekend.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,122 Posts
If you have a chance of getting a 2.4......DO IT! It's a totally different behaving engine and was a breath of fresh air for me after 30 years of 1.9/2.0's. You've had the 1.9 experience, the 2.0 will only be marginally better, but a 2.4 will be exponentially different. It will sound like a REAL engine and it's torque will tear your face off. Who wouldn't want that?

:lmao:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,122 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there benefit of fitting 2.0 head to 1.9 over complete engine?
So, your 1.9 hasn't had the 2.0 big valve upgrade? Well, then you WILL notice a big difference between a stock 1.9 and a big valve 2.0. My first upgrade decades ago was to put a 1.9 head that had the big valve treatment done to it on my used 1.9 high compression block. It made a BIG difference. Later, I put a rebuilt 1.9 block machined to 2.0 under that head and it made almost no difference at all. So, it's the big valves that really make the power and better drivability. Relatively recently I got a used factory 2.0 with the 12-bolt head and the matching timing cover to use the 2 extra bolts up front and that put an end to head/timing cover leaks.

Is the 2.4 from an Omega with the Omega's cam in it? You want that, it's a GREAT cam. I hear that the Frontera 2.4's had a real pig of a cam, so you don't want that.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is some good info. Thanks Scifi Guy. The 2.4 CIH is indeed from a Frontera. I got a lot of other parts off it for the 2.4 Frontera I run. Reckon I will go with 2.0 and use viscous fan with it to reduce engine noise at higher RPM.

That said the Opel stamp under engine No on 1.9 is very cool. Pity 2.0 does not have it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The stock K cam in the 20S isn't too bad for a daily driver, the same profile is used in the 30E and 30NE six cylinder engines too.
I have never heard that the Frontera should have a different cam than the Omega, both have the U cam. Look for an U stamping in the back end of the cam.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts