Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some of the other threads on the GT firing order (1-3-4-2). I'm ready to try to start my 2.2 in the GT. I got the fire extinguisher ready and everything:D I haven't connected the spark plug wires yet and wonder after reading the threads is the 2.2 firing order the same as the earlier model GTs. Might need a new distributor cap too for the Texas mud suckers have been living inside the wells on the cap. Any suggestions for cleaning it out besides scrapping the dirt out?

Arnold

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Al,
1-3-4-2, let's go, crank it up, since you don't have a muffler system I should be able to hear it from my place:D

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firing Order

Excuss my ignorance but I don't know hardly anything about cars. So If I start putting on the spark plug wires with the ball showing at the pointer, does the first plug go to the well on the cap that the rotor is pointing to and the other end on the #1 spark plug (the one closes to the radiator) then so on with the next in a clockwise order being number three to the third spark plug:eek: ?
Arnold

·
Registered
534 Posts
When the ball is visible on the flywheel and aligned with the pointer either #1 or #4 are firing. You can determine which one by putting a thumb on #1 (the one closest to the radiator) spark plug hole, rotate the crankshaft by hand (clockwise, a 19mm spanner fits the pulley nut) until pressure is felt building in #1. Continue rotating until the ball with the pointer are aligned, and now you have #1 on Top Dead Centre of the firing stroke. Now on the distributor, see at which cap's lead the rotor is pointing to, and connect there the end of the spark wire going to #1 spark plug.

Now, and going clockwise on the distributor's cap connect the rest of the wires in the order 1-3-4-2 (of course you have already connected #1). Then connect the centre lead to the ignition coil...

Hope this helps!

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, It makes since. My battery has been charging for about 6 hours now so once I get the wires on I'll be ready to try it. Still don't have an exhaust so I don't want to wait too late and disturb the neighbors. I think if it do start I will be so happy I'll be louder than the car without the exhaust:D

Arnold

·
Opeler
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow is the big day. All left to do is make a grounding strap from the engine to the chassie. Double check connections and reconnect plugs under dash. Tom, I think I found the clamps for the U joint. I will check that to tomorrow.\
Arnold

1 - 7 of 7 Posts