Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Über Genius
9,049 Posts
It has been one L O N G winter and I'm finally about to ring spring in properly. The motor build has obviously taken much longer than anticipated, one due to my engine builder being extra meticulous and the other being my schedule. The motor was done in early February, but it took me a while to get some free time to get the motor back in the car due a large number of things, but now the motor is back in the car and it is set to fire up on Wednesday for the first time. The guy that built the motor has to be present for its initial firing and proper break-in and for him to warranty the motor.

Also, found the allen head bolts for the intake/exhaust manifolds...OGTS has them back in stock. I had to grind the washer part down a bit for them to work on my header & DCOE intakes.

Something really cool did happen along the way though, and I'm pretty sure you guys will get a huge kick out of this story. So, my car is an automatic and with all the engine changes and going to dual DCOE carbs, I wanted to make sure the transmission would compliment it as best as possible. My dad sells building materials for a living and went to a jobsite to walk the job and quote the materials. This job turned out to be at Coan Engineering, which just happens to specialize in torque converters and racing transmissions. My dad struck up conversation with the owner and mentioned my Opel to the guy. Here's the great part, the owner flipped out and couldn't believe that my dad was telling him about working on an Opel! Why you ask?! Well, it turns out that when Opel ceased being sold in the US the owner of Coan went out and bought all of the Opel automatic torque converters he could find. He said he loved that converter and that they started their ENTIRE business with the Opel torque converters. He than said that since they built the business on those converters that he'd love the chance to work on one again. He asked what the specs of the motor, cam and carb jetting were so he could custom build a converter just for my car. So, in addition to all of the motor work I've had done, now I'm going to have a fresh, custom torque converter. It's going to be like driving the car for the 1st time all over again, you know with the exception of it actually having power now!

More details to come...

Eric
Ask him how much he would charge for a second one. Same specs, except fuel injected.

·
Opeler
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
After everything was installed, something wasn’t right. So I started the following thread and am linking it up so future people can see the resolution.

Bottom line, if you have a true 2.2, ONLY use springs specifically designed for the 2.2. I used springs that were replacements for 1.9s and that caused major problems.

121 - 122 of 122 Posts