Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a the 2.2l FI exhaust manifold will fit on a 1.9 engine in a 74 manta without major modification? If so how much would it really improve performance? I assume it is simmilar or better than the 75 sprint everyone talks about? thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Is this the one with the outlet turned 90 degrees?

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
The 2.2L & 2.0L exhaust manifolds are virtually the same. The 2.4L manifold is the wierd one. The 2.4L unit has the bottom phlange turned 90 degrees. The other similar manifold to the 2.4L is the Britsh RHD 2.0L manifold, but it lacks the O2 sensor port plus the openings at the cylinder head ports are a bit smaller than the 2.4L unit.

The easiest ones to adapt are the 2.0L & 2.2L exhaust manifolds because there phlanges are bigger, but still in the same configuration. All you would have to do is cut off the 1.9L head pipe phlange and make a new phlange to weld on that matches the larger cast irom manifold.

Had to do the same for my 2.0L Britsch RHD manifold, for my 73 G.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
That being said, yes it will fit in both the GT and Manta with no mods. The only issue is the collector flange that needs to be welded onto your exhaust. I found none at any exhaust shop and finally made my own. I wasn't sure what mine was but it looks like a sprint with the bigger flange. Now I know it is a 2.0 or 2.2. I got it from OGTS for what I think was a good price, 125. They may have the flanges, you would have to call. Pretty odd way to find out what I installed already. Seems to work well and flow pretty good. Oh and you will need the different exhaust collector gasket, OGTS has them.

·
199 Posts
OGTS has the exhaust manifold to headpipe gasket for the larger flanged 2.0L exhaust manifold but not the flange for the headpipe or any headpipes with the larger flange. I spoke to them yesterday about this when i discovered my exhaust manifold had a larger flange then the headpipe. I am going to machine a new headpipe flange and weld it to the old headpipe as soon as the gasket arrives.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI,
I just picked up what looks for all the world like a sprint manifold in prestine condition for $100. The guy I bought it from got it from Todd at Opels Unlimited and was under the impression that it was from a 2.1l but it has no 02 sensor hole. it looks like it has the smaller flange too. Just for the sake of speculating how much of a performance improvement is this supposed to make? I'll post a pic tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
1.9 and 2.0 exhaust flanges compared

DennisGardiner said:
The 2.2L & 2.0L exhaust manifolds are virtually the same. The 2.4L manifold is the wierd one. The 2.4L unit has the bottom phlange turned 90 degrees. The other similar manifold to the 2.4L is the Britsh RHD 2.0L manifold, but it lacks the O2 sensor port plus the openings at the cylinder head ports are a bit smaller than the 2.4L unit.

The easiest ones to adapt are the 2.0L & 2.2L exhaust manifolds because there phlanges are bigger, but still in the same configuration. All you would have to do is cut off the 1.9L head pipe phlange and make a new phlange to weld on that matches the larger cast irom manifold.

Had to do the same for my 2.0L Britsch RHD manifold, for my 73 G.
OK, here's the difference:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts