Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Opeler
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
After looking 1.9 intake and 2.4 intake manifold i see some problems.
First 1.9 intake is about 3-4mm smaller than 2.4.
Because 2.4 is high port head there is no way you can modify 1,9 intake easily.
on option is to cut the flange from 2,4 manifold and weld it to 1,9 intake but still the difference in diameter makes me think, will i loose some power if i but 1,9 intake and 38 weber? another idea would be to make new intake from scratch ,but for that money i can also instal cut 6sil. intake and injection with megasquirt or similar.

any ideas how to get a good carb to 2.4 head ?
Or just take 1.9 head change the valves port the head etc. and use original intake manifold?

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
Get a complete 2.4 engine bottom end and head. Modify your 1.9 intake and exhaust to fit on the 2.4 head. Go to a 38 Weber (some extra grinding is necessary on the original intake to take advantage of the larger carb throat). This is a pretty easy change over without a lot of extra work. You have a 2.4 liter engine that has a pretty darn good fuel system on top of it. I don't remember having to do much work getting the 1.9 exhaust and intake manifolds to fit on my 2.4. If I remember right, I had to make an adapter plate to adapt the 1.9 thermostat housing onto the 2.4 (If you decide to go this route, I may still have the pattern for the thermostat plate adapter)

Bob

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
There's no good reason to swap a 1.9 or 2.0 head onto a 2.4 block, unless you have a fetish for machining and high-octane fuel.

Modifications required to bolt a 1.9 manifold onto the 2.4 head are much easier.
The only real choice is which style of exhaust manifold you want to use.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,122 Posts
I'm currently having my Midikit Single Side Draft manifold ported, vertically supported, and otherwise modified to fit on my 2.4's head. I'll then run a 40DCOE on it.

We'll see how it goes......

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts
I'm currently having my Midikit Single Side Draft manifold ported, vertically supported, and otherwise modified to fit on my 2.4's head. I'll then run a 40DCOE on it.

We'll see how it goes......
Answers that question for me then. I was going to ask which size carb you're running. I'll prep it for a 45 DCOE just in case, a 40 is kinda small for a 2.4.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
... but still the difference in diameter makes me think, will i loose some power if i but 1,9 intake and 38 weber? another idea would be to make new intake from scratch
It has taken me awhile to get the the huge short intake to work.
Must admit that there was a lose of lowend torque at first but it was only a few
foot pounds.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
WOW!!! That's bad a$$! Did you build all that from scratch??? Or was it premade and then heavily modified???

P.S. Perhaps you should consider broadening your horizon with a 2.2, or 2.4L!....:yup:

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Hello everyone!

i am working on my 70 opel gt and i just bought a complete opel omega A 2.4
What would be the best option to go.
swap 2.4 engine and figure out what to use for fueling it.
Or keep 2.4 bottom and install 1.9 or 2.0 head on it (with bigger valves?)
I would like to keep the carburetor, or if not then go with megasquirt.
So my question is what would you do if you have 1.9 2.4 and 2.0 engine and you want to make one engine?
I will use some aftermarket cam to get some more hp out of the 2.4
What I did with my 2.4L: kept the 2.4L intact and ran a hybrid 2.0 injection system with a 2.2L intake manifold.

What I built over the last 5 days: Used the 2.4L as is. Port matched a 1.9L intake for a 38 DGAS. Used an OGTS 2.2/2.4L thermostat housing and intake spacer/adapter. Drilled the 1.9L intake for the longer intake to exhaust manifold bolts. (Used a standard 68-74 exhaust manifold.) Bolted the exhaust to the engine, rested the adapter/spacer and gasket on the exhaust hot spot, and rested the 1.9L intake on the sandwich. I then used a soft mallet and tapped the manifold to mark for drilling the new dowl pin holes on the intake. Drilled the manifold, and trimmed the lip on the intake to head bolt flange for the new bolt to head locations. Once all of that was done the intake was again laid on the hot spot with the spacer and gasket. The assembly was hand tightened while observing and tapping the manifolds to have them fit flat and tight to the cylinder head. Once everything was torqued, the prepped assembly was bolted off of the cylinder head and the 2.2/2.4L intake/exhaust gasket was installed, and torqued into place. I'll post a picture as soon as I get it off of my camera. BTW, the engine runs nice and has a great throttle resonce.

·
Super Moderator
13,361 Posts

·
Opeler
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Some update.

After looking stock 1.9 intake manifold and 2.4 injection manifold, i was looking the difference in diameter of the head intake ports and the 1.9 manifold.
I cut the 2.4 intake flanges and will weld those to 1,9 manifold so it should fit to my 2,4 head.
What i loose when i have smaller intake manifold and then it goes to bigger head?
Should the exhaust be 2.4 or i can use 2.0 or 1.9?
I will try to get it started with 32/36 weber and then buy 38dgas.
Yesterday i also got 240 getrag and driveshaft, so next week old engine out and new in.
Conversion cost so far 450€

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,122 Posts
I would think that it would run okay at low rpm and have the 2.4 torque, but start to be not much better than a 1.9/2.0 at higher rpm. With the 2.4 intake flanges welded on, it will probably breath better than if you had just a stock 1.9 manifold on the engine.

I would go with the Weber 38 right from the start, if you already have one. I think the Weber 32/36 will really struggle with that engine and you will have to severely change the jets.

Use the 2.4 exhaust manifold and use larger exhaust pipes. Then you will only be restricting the intake and not the exhaust also.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,426 Posts
Its actually called keeping all information in the easy to access place. I rather add new info to a zombie thread to make it easier to find, then start yet another thread on a similar topic that may become hard to find.

·
Registered
708 Posts
3 litre inlet

if you want to go fuel injection you can cut down and modify the 3 litre 6 cylinder manifold.
This is also using a 2.4 exhaust manifold with lambda probe as standard.
It is on a 2.2 block with a 2.4 head and fast road cam.
It will be running megasquirt 2 , eventually, when I put all the car back together.

Cant stop madifying or is that modifying, lately doing front coil over conversion and thinking about a rear bmw 2002 rear axle conversion, only 1 inch wider than stock and takes standard wheel 4 x 100 pcd. Then can fit a lsd from bmw or an rx8.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 61 Posts