Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reference, here is a photo of a 2.4 Opel exhaust manifold. Compared to the typical Sprint manifold, it has larger runners, a larger collector flange, and has the outlet flange located further back than a 1.9's.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,295 Posts
RallyBob said:
For reference, here is a photo of a 2.4 Opel exhaust manifold. Compared to the typical Sprint manifold, it has larger runners, a larger collector flange, and has the outlet flange located further back than a 1.9's.
Further back AND turned 90°. Center exhausts are still siamesed? and there is a O² sensor boss at the flange. Got another one, Bob?

·
Super Moderator
9,671 Posts
Y'all missed one of these on the German Ebay a few weeks ago, was starting at like 10 euros, seller would ship worldwide, but, alas, there were no bids.

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Exhaust manifold of 2.4 cih to GT?

Has anyone tried to fit an exhaust manifold of 2.4 CIH (C24NE afaik) to GT? My main concern is the flange to the exhaust pipe, does it interfere with engine support? At the moment I've got an exhaust manifold from 2.0E so it's flange is wider than the original which makes installation a bit difficult.
Yesterday I compared 1.9S and 2.4 exhaust manifolds. It looks like there should be no problem (2.4 exhaust pipe flange is rotated 90 degrees compared to older manifolds, but is as big as 2.0E flange), but can anyone verify this?
Also, does anyone happen to have an opinnion of performance of this manifold? Ports of cylinders 1 and 4 seem to be a little bit wider, but not much. Difference of length of cylinder 1 and 4 runners is greater than in older exhaust manifolds and it also doesn't look just as smooth as 20E manifold. Anyway, my *guess* is that this would perform quite similar to older manifolds (=enough for 160hp or so) as this was originally meant for 125hp engine, not 110hp.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
2.4i Exhaust Manifold

THe 2.4i exhaust tucks in closer to the engine than the standard one, by the look of it. The Torana manifold has a similar flange position but is rotated 45 degrees but in about the same swept-back position - it interfers with the oil pressure sender.

The advantage of the 2.4i manifold is the oxygen sensor for use with "closed-loop" fuel injection. Got any spare ones Lasse H ??

Attachments

·
Opeler
54 Posts
Re: 2.4i Exhaust Manifold

GTJIM said:
THe 2.4i exhaust tucks in closer to the engine than the standard one, by the look of it. The Torana manifold has a similar flange position but is rotated 45 degrees but in about the same swept-back position - it interfers with the oil pressure sender.
Torana? Never heard about that. I assume it has something to do with Opel, Vauxhall or Holden? Good you mentioned that oil pressure sender thing. When I think about it, I'm pretty sure I saw that unit attached to timing cover of Omega engine. More room and less heat there. I assume it is possible to mount sender also to older timing covers.

The advantage of the 2.4i manifold is the oxygen sensor for use with "closed-loop" fuel injection. Got any spare ones Lasse H ??
I've got closed-loop injection in my plans for this winter. But if I run out of money, or something, I'll remember you. :)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Torana SL1900

Toranas were GMHolden of Australia's sub-compact which grew into a super car. The base engine was the 19S Opel motor, imported from Germany - the same motor used in GTs, except they used 9:1 CR. Still had the Solex carb but usually had Delco distributors and starter motors. They started off with the Vauxhall Viva motor but changed to the bigger Opel motor for a bit more power. Later in production they had options of 2.3; 2.8; 3.0 and 3.3 litre Holden sixes and also 253 cid and 308 cid Holden V8s

Terribly underpowered with the Opel motor so most were replaced with the sixes and V8s - which means that there are some 19S motors about for the astute GT owner to snap up cheap! The exhaust manifolds have much larger outlet flanges orientated at 45 degrees to the motor centreline and swept back to the rear of the motor much like the 2.4i manifold - which has its outlet flange rotated the full 90 degrees compared to the GT original. Here are flange gasket comparisons:

PS: The O2 sensor system is a superior type of FI - thanks for remembering me!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts