Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a replacement fan clutch available for the Opel 2.4 in the US? Is there an interchangeable part (i.e. will a 75 setup work?).

If I get my stock manta radiator altered to a 3 core, will it provide enough cooling capacity for the 2.4?

Thanks,
Todd K.

583 Posts
Fan and radiator.

Todd,

The water pump should be the same; therefore, the fan clutch is the same as the 1.9L or it could use the pre '75 fixed fan. Having the radiator core increased to a modern 3 tube core should provide about 15% more cooling capacity. Whether that's enough depends on what you do with the motor. I increased the core capacity on a stock Manta and ran it in the Summer in Texas. The engine temperature with the factory thermostat seemed to run at about normal between 1/4-1/2 up the scale. Seemed to work just fine whether idling or running at speed.

Good luck.

· Super Moderator
8,421 Posts
I'm assuming the 2.2 is similar to a 2.4.

I had a 2.2 water pump that layed around until I threw it away. The water pump bolt pattern is the same but the fan attaches by a single threaded stud and sticks out further than the 1.9 pump and fan. It could very well be a clearance problem.

Harold

· 'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Matt M240Z said:
Did the 2.4 come from the factory in any opels? I know the gtsource sells a rebuilt 2.2 and 2.4 but investing the same amount of money in a 1.9 comes out stronger in my opinion.
I don't know if it did state-side but the two cars sold in Europe were the Omega A / Carlton or Frontera, hope this helps?

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can any other 2.4 owners chime in with details on what they did with their cooling system? If a 75 clutch fan setup will work, that's great (I guess...don't know how hard those are to come by). Radiator details would be appreciated too. My engine will remain stock on the bottom end, but I have head mods planned including larger valves and a performance cam.

Thanks,
Todd K.

583 Posts
'75 clutch fan setup

Hi Todd,

You need to find a '75 fan (white plastic w/open center), a fan clutch and a water pump. The cost is about $15-50 for the fan, $50-65 for the pump and about $10-300 for the fan clutch all depended on condition, i.e. used vs new. So total cost between $75 and about $400.

Good luck with the project.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
'75 and later clutch fans

I run '75 "clutch" fans, actually de-clutch, and 3 core radiators (local shop) whenever I can, especially with upgraded displacement and/or performance engines. I ALWAYS run fan shrouds as it enhances "through-radiator" airflow a lot. Later 2.2 and 2.4 clutch fans have clearance issues, much larger diameter. Later pumps have smaller "clutch fan" mounting shaft size than '75 pumps, so fans and pumps are not interchangeable. :(

Attachments

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK..so it sounds like I need to find a 75 clutch fan and waterpump setup then? I assume this might be found through Opel GT Source. Will the fan itself interchange?
Todd

583 Posts
Water pump and fan.

Todd,

If your original fan was on a fan clutch, then it should fit. The water pump is available from www.Autopartsgiant.com, GMB 155-2010 for $52.71. The fan clutch is the same unit that fits the 1975 Triumph Spitfire and a similar year Volvo 240 or 164. Jim Marchitto at USA Opels or Gil at OGTS may have one I've got some used ones.

Good luck.

· Vendor
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David McCollam said:
Todd,

If your original fan was on a fan clutch, then it should fit. The water pump is available from www.Autopartsgiant.com, GMB 155-2010 for $52.71. The fan clutch is the same unit that fits the 1975 Triumph Spitfire and a similar year Volvo 240 or 164. Jim Marchitto at USA Opels or Gil at OGTS may have one I've got some used ones.

Good luck.
Thanks Dave. Do you think this one would fit?
http://www.expressautoparts.com/Par...=TR&model=SPI--002&category=G&part=Fan Clutch

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Clutch fan BLADE . . . look at my earlier post pics

David McCollam said:
Todd,

In a word, "yes". Now order a pump, and you're in business.

Dave
Remember: the fan blade used with the '75 water pump and clutch is different than all the previous year fan blades mounted directly to the WP drive pulley!

Go look at my just posted pics in my earlier post in this thread!

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
A little advice please (Manta Fan Clutch)

As anyone who was at Carlisle heard, our "bumblebee" Manta (Omar) needs a new fan clutch. :aargh4:

I have found a fan clutch for a Volvo 240 (hayden # 2558) for a really good price. Is this the correct fan clutch? The Triumph Spitfire is not listed and the Volvo 160 series is not listed on the Hayden site either.

So, before I "pull the trigger", I would like to know if anyone has used the Volvo 240 cross reference successfully and knows that it works?

Thanks for your help!

Allen:cool:

· Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
As anyone who was at Carlisle heard, our "bumblebee" Manta (Omar) needs a new fan clutch. :aargh4:
I will be busy tomorrow delivering part to Duane's, but if you can wait until I sift through my barn I *think* I have a new Opel one. I would probably know by Sunday.

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
I will be busy tomorrow delivering part to Duane's, but if you can wait until I sift through my barn I *think* I have a new Opel one. I would probably know by Sunday.
Bob:

That would be great! Let us know. We are not in a "huge" hurry, but would like to drive the car to Robbie's BBQ (which is hill climb weekend). If you cannot get to it that is fine, just let us know which cross reference works and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Vickie & Allen

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Hayden 2558 fan-clutch . . .

I have found a fan clutch for a Volvo 240 (hayden # 2558) for a really good price. Is this the correct fan clutch? The Triumph Spitfire is not listed and the Volvo 160 series is not listed on the Hayden site either.

So, before I "pull the trigger", I would like to know if anyone has used the Volvo 240 cross reference successfully and knows that it works?

Thanks for your help!

First, thank you very much for finding this particular fan clutch, Hayden #2558. Wish I would've known about this fan clutch five years ago . . . would've saved me a LOT of time fabricating this one described in this post!

The real beauty of this particular unit is three-fold - first, it fits both Opel "fan-clutch" fans, 5-bladed black 'Euro' version and 7-bladed white-yellow US version, second, it can be used with a 'standard', 4-bolt pulley mount water pump, and third, it is thermostatically controlled, an improvement over Opel's original version! . . . oh, and it even comes with a water pump pulley-shaft OD-adapter for centering the fan-clutch, should that be necessary!

. . . and, because I know Summit is close to you and you like to shop there, here's a link to Summit's Hayden #2558 fan-clutch!

So, go straight to Summit, purchase and install it on a standard Opel water pump, perhaps with a minor bit of 'fore/aft' adjustment of fan blade with spacers.

:biggthump

· Super Moderator
9,836 Posts
so this is what I have been looking for. This way, the F.I.'ed cars don't have to have the specific F.I. water pump and you can upgrade your carb'ed water pump car to the clutch fan and gain a few HP.

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Yep, . . .

so this is what I have been looking for. This way, the F.I.'ed cars don't have to have the specific F.I. water pump and you can upgrade your carb'ed water pump car to the clutch fan and gain a few HP.
. . . yep and yep!

:biggthump

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
Thanks Otto... thought it would do the trick, but wanted to be sure before I bought one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.