Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I may get a 2.4L CIH that will be used in my 1970 Opel GT? Currently have a 1.9L in it, but would like to go 2.4L with EFI.

Thanks

Mat

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,663 Posts
Does anyone know where I may get a 2.4L CIH that will be used in my 1970 Opel GT? Currently have a 1.9L in it, but would like to go 2.4L with EFI.

Thanks

Mat

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Mat
Don't know where you're located, but, Charles Goin has one or two, he's in VA. Then you also might want to try OGTS

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
Just build one out of your 1.9L. Cheaper and all the internals will be new.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,075 Posts
How much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just build one out of your 1.9L. Cheaper and all the internals will be new.
I have a spare 1.9l that has been in storage for over 20 years. I am interested in finding out what is required to convert it into a 2.4. Is there a write up somewhere that gives a walk-through and parts list?

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,110 Posts
Mat
Don't know where you're located, but, Charles Goin has one or two, he's in VA. Then you also might want to try OGTS
The #1 importer of 2.4's and other engines is member Charles Goin(Goin Manta). Once or twice a year he gets a container with 8 or so engines, plus 5 speed trannies and other toys. He's also the #1 guy to tell you how to hook up the Opel FI system. He also has many of those FI systems. He helped me make my GT's engine a 2.5 with the biggest valves. In the next few months he is going to install a 2.2 engine with FI in my '75 Opel Wagon. He can sell you engines used and totally unrebuilt or the machine shop he has trained can do various rebuilds or upgrades to the engine you choose. Even OGTS recommends that people get their engines from Charles. Send him a private message, he's in Virginia.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,075 Posts

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
The 1.9L to 2.4L conversion is more involved but will ultimately cost less. But I reiterate, it is much more involved. The engine will be a fresh rebuild and not used. Great learning experience though, and lots of power.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,075 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
2,075 Posts
how is it cheaper to build from 1.9? dont you need a 2.4 either way?
You can modify a 1.9S to wind up at 2.4L by using a 2.3 turbo diesel crank. Charles Goin is putting together some kits to make this happen. Opel eventually produced a 2.4L CIH however, which is easier. The problem Americans run into is the fact that Opel was no longer selling cars in America when they built the 2.4's. So for an American to get a 2.4L CIH, it has to come from Europe. Charles Goin, at least in the past, has imported these as well. In various shipments, he has received 2.0's, 2.2's, and 2.4's from a contact in Poland. If you want a Getrag 240 5 speed in a GT, that transmission also has to come from Europe. And, Charles Goin has imported these too.

As for cost, it is cheaper to modify the engine in your Opel than to import a different one from Europe.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
You can just use the 1.9L crank. You just have Crankshaft Craftsmen add a 1/2 inch to the throw of the crank. About $600. All told, my build cost about $2500.

·
Non Civilian
2,084 Posts
When I build my engine the 2.0L rebuild was going to cost me $2000 and a 2.4L conversion was going to cost $2500. Seemed like a no brainer. 500 more bucks for a half a litre in displacement gained? Oh yeh, and it was so worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Opel engines in South Africa

I have following EBAY worldwide...and have noticed a number of used and rebuilt 2.2 and 2.4 engines for sale in South Africa...lots of them and at a real lucrative price.... I wonder about having some of those imported...

Joel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts