1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 1000 Post Club
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

· Über Moderator
6,668 Posts
spdkilz02 said:
I was just looking on the UK ebay and saw this opel with a 2.6 and was wondering if anyone has heard any information about the engine and if they are available somewhere here in the states. Seems like the engine would be a nice fit for my Manta, and would make for one killer streetable Manta.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vectra-V6-2-6...oryZ9858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A Vectra was the basis for the Saturn "L" series (L300). But they are front wheel drive transverse mounted, so not so easy to fit in a RWD platform

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
kwilford said:
A Vectra was the basis for the Saturn "L" series (L300). But they are front wheel drive transverse mounted, so not so easy to fit in a RWD platform
Ah Keith, but the beauty is that the motor in the Vectra and the Saturn, as well as the Saab 93 also based on that chassis, shares almost everything with it's slightly bigger brother in the Omega/Catera platform. Which means you can pretty much bolt them right up to a Catera tranny and head down the road. You could actually bolt them up to a regular Opel Trimatic if you wanted too, all you would need is the Catera bell housing. That might make for a super easy install if someone were serious and already had an automatic tranny car.

But, to add even one more twist, these motors share the same basic bell-housing configuration as the 60 degree Chevy v-6, only the bottom two bolts are off by a bit. The Isuzu 3.2 (I think, thereabouts in size, '92 and newer) also is 2 holes off from the 60 degree Chevy, and lastly so is the Northstar series of V-8 motors. Now, do any of these three motors share the same bolt pattern? I'm not sure, but Isuzu Rodeo 2WD 5-speeds are easy enough to come by if someone was looking for a manual tranny option and wanted to find out. Wouldn't that be a kick in a Manta, a Saturn motor hooked up to an Isuzu tranny? If only I had the $ to try it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.