Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question......

Has anyone ever done a swap using a Ford 2.8 V6? I had one in a Mustang II back high school. It was a German built engine and very narrow. It ran well and was very reliable, just under powered, like most engines from the 70's. If I remember right, they called it a Cologne V6, after the city. I remember thinking later on that it would have been a good engine to transplant into my MGB.

Curious James

too much money tied up in my 2.0....not thinking swap! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I am kinda in the middle of attempting to stuff a 2.8 Mustang II V6 into my 70 GT but have run into a snag with the exhaust. Any idea where I can get some really snug fitting headers? The only other problems I forsee are the hod doesn't fit anymore and the water pump has a line out to the heater that rides VERY close to the steering column knuckle. Haven't tested how well the motor mounts I built are gonna hold up. lol... Also the driveshaft I had made came out at 4 5/8" long.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,870 Posts
Patriot Headers (division Pertronix) makes some headers. And I understand PAW (Performance Automotive Warehouse may have something. Other than that, maybe Jeg's, or Speedway.

Or.....check with Demon Tweeks in the UK. They stock quite a few 'classic' performance parts. Since the 2.8 was a German/British unit, you may have more luck over there.

You might find a 2.8 water pump for a different vehicle application that might have a better outlet arrangement. Or modify it. If the pump is aluminum, fabricating a new outlet or changing the angle should be pretty easy. Find a fabrication shop, like an industrial shop (they tend to be cheaper at times) to do the rewelding.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
if you did a search you will find this but
the engine in the mustang 2 is a cologne A block with 6 port arizona heads(1 inlet ,1exhaust / cylinder) and built in the states from a german block
if you dump the air pump and change to a 38-38dgas then have the cam reground to give more lift you have a 200+ bhp motor (mine had 220 at the rear wheels on a dyno guesstamated at 246 @ the flywheel)
demon tweeks will scratch there heads if you ask for bits for it as in europe we got the cologne B engine with siamesed exhaust ports(read no breathing)and is only good for 180 bhp or so
it will go into a gt as its a 60 deg V and the exhausts are close too the block so it clears things pretty good but they make the cih look like its a lightweight race engine ,oh heck are they heavy
the cast steel headers are good flowing units btw and dont need work for good power

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I haven't had a lot of luck with the exhaust. I guess I set the engine either too low or too far back but I wanted to keep the center of gravity as close to original as possible. I was thinking about short runs into a larger "expansion chamber" type set-up to fit the available space and let it breath. As for power, I don't know that I need a lot more than stock. I ran this one from Albuquerque NM to just short of Abilene TX in less than 4 hours. Talk about adrenaline... But I am going to just cut off the nipple on the water pump and screw in a brass 90 degree and that should take care of the possible rub.

·
Registered
1 Posts
38-38 dgas

I am currently building a 2.8L V6 out of an american Capri for my MGB, and was looking for some power tips. Would like to get 150-160hp out of it.

Is the webber 38-38 better than a 4 barrel holley?

Thanks,

jsasser

·
Opel 4 life
78 Posts
jsasser said:
I am currently building a 2.8L V6 out of an american Capri for my MGB, and was looking for some power tips. Would like to get 150-160hp out of it.

Is the webber 38-38 better than a 4 barrel holley?

Thanks,

jsasser
It is almost that mutch power in it as a standard engine.
I belive a 4port holly is a great for a V8, but isn't it a overkill for a stock 2,8?
The 38-38 weber is often used, I belive its for a reason.

Back home here in Norway, a friend of me has almost 180hp (SAE) in his 2,8i.
His engine has fuel injection. And a higher CR than original. But the cams has long opening time, so the dynamic compression is not as hight that expected, so it runs on regular fuel. This in a old rusty Ford Taunus, with welded diff.
If he could get the power down into the ground, it would go quite fast. But the power goes up in smoke... :pat:

·
Registered
19 Posts
What would someone have to do to adapt this engine to a GT transmission? Or would you have to use a Ford transmission and adapt that to the axle?

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Interestingly enough, I recall the pilot bearing in my old 2.8 ranger was identical to the Opel. Perhaps an adapter plate could be made, but I doubt the Opel tranny would hold up. For that matter, the getrag 240 wouldn't either. The getrag 265 might work, AND I believe there is a bellhousing available, but no idea how it would be with the rest of the system or whether you could squeeze it in a GT. Perhaps others more knowledgeable can chime in. They're nice engines...too bad they're Fords...:lmao:

Good Luck!
Todd k.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This interests me because I have a 2.8 with 1,700 original miles that I am replacing with a 4.0 V6. It is in a Sterling kit car that has been sitting in storage for the past 30 years. I have no use for it and it is perfect aside from needing new seals.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
stock opel tranny will turn to butter PDQ with the torque from the V6 , look for a tranny from a mercury Capri 2.8 , mustang 2 V6 or the box from the mustang 5.0
the one in the 2.3's will not last long behind the V6 but will work for a while

the opel rear axel will also spit its teeth out in short order so you would be looking at a full running gear change to use it and have it last

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Our experience with the 2.8L has not been very good. True it is a very inexpensive engine you can get power from but the draw backs all fall in the oiling system. After a while under hard driving, you will hear all of your valves clicking and it is an overall pain to work on. With just a port/polish job, 1.6 rockers, hedders and a good 350cfm carb, you can get about 170hp out of it.

For the Mg's it is better to use a 60 degree V-6 which you can have installed and running in less than a week end. You can get a crate 3.4L, add a few inexpensive parts and total 190hp for less than $2k. It will cost substantially more than that to rework the ford 2.8L with performance parts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well with that all being said, do any of you guys working with the 2.8 on your cars want a 2.8 with low miles? It has a offenhauser intake and Holley carb, and who knows what else. I am having trouble finding interest in the longblock locally with even a "giveaway" price. I think I am going to do a mild rebuild on the 1.9 I currently have, and I already have a 4.0 direct replacement for the 2.8.

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
I think I am going to do a mild rebuild on the 1.9 I currently have

Why bother with a mild rebuild? For the same price you can get a 2.0L using 265 Chevy pistons or a 2.4L like I have using 305 Chevy pistons for a little more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well with that all being said, do any of you guys working with the 2.8 on your cars want a 2.8 with low miles? It has a offenhauser intake and Holley carb, and who knows what else. I am having trouble finding interest in the longblock locally with even a "giveaway" price. I think I am going to do a mild rebuild on the 1.9 I currently have, and I already have a 4.0 direct replacement for the 2.8.
I would be interested in your carb & intake manifold, please contact me

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
holy old!

You might get lucky with that, but if you look up in the top left corner of his post you will see that he offered that engine up for sale in December of '06. It's hard to tell sometimes, but some of these threads might be as many as 10 years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts