Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While inspecting the front brakes on my recently purchased 70 GT, I noticed that the drivers side caliper has 1 bleeder screw and the passenger side caliper has 2. Has anyone seen this before? With 2 bleed screws, which one should I bleed from? I assume that it would be the top.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
...drivers side caliper has 1 bleeder screw and the passenger side caliper has 2. Has anyone seen this before? With 2 bleed screws, which one should I bleed from? I assume that it would be the top.
I guess the first thing I would do would be to see that the calipers were equal in size and utilized the same pad, just to be certain that they would hopefully brake equally. Bleeding from the uppermost screw makes the most sense to me as well. Guess you could bleed from the lower one first and then progress to the top one. :)

If the rubber lines appear to be original or the caliper bleeder screws dont' produce a good stream of fluid when bleeding them, replace the hoses, all three (front & back).

Harold

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the first thing I would do would be to see that the calipers were equal in size and utilized the same pad, just to be certain that they would hopefully brake equally. Bleeding from the uppermost screw makes the most sense to me as well. Guess you could bleed from the lower one first and then progress to the top one. :)

If the rubber lines appear to be original or the caliper bleeder screws dont' produce a good stream of fluid when bleeding them, replace the hoses, all three (front & back).

Harold
I came across the 2 bleed screws while doing the brake hose inspection. Already have new ones on the way. Both calipers look identical, except for the bleed screw difference. Perhaps this lets it be used on the drivers or passenger side?

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
Both calipers look identical, except for the bleed screw difference. Perhaps this lets it be used on the drivers or passenger side?
Most of the calipers I've seen have a large number on the side, ie. 48 identifying it as having a 48 mm dia. bore.
Forget what I said about bleeding the bottom screw first. I was about half way kidding. I never thought about it being AT the bottom.

Harold

1 - 6 of 6 Posts