Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I took the opel GT to the Zanesville Indiana car show with my grandpa's car yesterday. I got a phone number for a guy that has 60-70 cars in his yard about 72 miles from my house. The guy said when he went up there there were 2 opel gts there. He said the guy is in bad health and will want a lot of money for them but he is a nice guy and he said you could talk him down. So I think tomorrow I will call him and see what happens. It will be interesting!

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I called the guy yestereday and the first call a lady answered but I could barely hear her and she hung up. Then I called again and nobody answered and I left a message. I guess we will see if they call back.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys a big update! He has one opel GT. He called me back just now! He went out last night and looked at it and he said it has ZERO rust on it! He was asking $3000 for it but he said he will probably take $900! it is yellow and has been inside for 15 years!

·
UngerDog
1,350 Posts
No rust on it is great, but you better check to make sure there is not rust under it too. Take a good flashlight and check all the susceptible areas. Take a magnet with you to check for repairs with excessive body filler. Other details would be if it has a title, keys, and if the engine rotates. Chances are he doesn't want to give it away but has lost interest in getting it running and on the road and just wants it out of wherever he is storing it.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No rust on it is great, but you better check to make sure there is not rust under it too. Take a good flashlight and check all the susceptible areas. Take a magnet with you to check for repairs with excessive body filler. Other details would be if it has a title, keys, and if the engine rotates. Chances are he doesn't want to give it away but has lost interest in getting it running and on the road and just wants it out of wherever he is storing it.
Yep He is sending me pictures of it before we drive an hour to see it. Title is a big thing my 1969 GT had no title and getting the title has been a hasel.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok guys so I talked to the guy again today. He is going to send me pictures saturday afternoon of the GT. Turns out he has over 100+ cars! He says he has jaguars, rolls royces and a bunch of other cars! I can't wait to go and hopefully this GT is not that bad!

·
Opeler
750 Posts
Might be a great one to snag. A rust-free Opel for $900.00 is a steal. Keep us updated...

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
882 Posts
He was asking $3000 for it but he said he will probably take $900!
The price is now $900. :p

A few years ago I wanted to buy a digital piano. The guy didn't want to deal with me, took it to work in the truck and made his 19 year old stoner son (who worked with him) handle it. I went to look at it. Price was supposed to be $100. It was a good deal, but I figured I'd see if he could be squeezed. I asked if his dad was firm on it being $100. He said "Oh no, that's like, the most he was hoping for, he'd probably take it for $40. Why? What would you offer?" ... well sorry kid, can't just drop your cards and hope I don't react to them, the price is $40 now. I paid him, we loaded it up, and he went inside to tell his dad he got it done for $40!

Tangent, the kid fatally OD's on fentanyl a few months later I heard. Stay away from the hard stuff kids.

You going to pick up a 4th GT in the family now?

If it's indeed rust free that's a hell of a deal, but, at this point, you really need to not be picking up extra vehicles unless you have a plan for them, time for them, and a budget for them. Because, over the next year if you keep looking, 4 GTs can easily become 10 at this rate.

Probably what that means in this context is, don't buy another car unless you're sure you're done shopping, and it's going to be "the" car. And, time to get rid of one of yours that's in worst shape. Strip everything off of it, coalesce it into one vehicle.

If this $900 car is as good as it seems, then that sounds like it could be "the" car, but that means you're not going to keep shopping for another, and another.

One thing to keep in mind, is that sometimes there's no cost or effort difference between something that only slightly needs a repair, versus really needs a repair. Either way if you have to repair it, the "better" one is no more valuable. I.E. if a car needs a paintjob, then it needs a paintjob, so one that needs a paintjob because 5% of the paint is damaged is equivalent to the one where 50% of the paint is damaged. Doesn't matter, both need a paintjob. If a rocker has 5 pencil-sized holes in it vs. the rocker is missing almost the entire side... either way you need a new rocker. So, don't get deceived by a way better car, that might not actually be any less work to restore. Doesn't seem like that's the case, but don't fall in love with something not much better than what you've already got.

Yep He is sending me pictures of it before we drive an hour to see it. Title is a big thing my 1969 GT had no title and getting the title has been a hasel.
Title is not hard to do, if you use the Vermont loophole. $76 + 6% the sale price. All you need is a bill of sale, long as it's older than 15 years. You get a registration, which is the same thing as a title in Vermont, and outside Vermont is "equivalent to" a title, which you can use to get it titled in your own state. No need to travel, do it all electronically.

Yeah, I am only about 60 miles from where they are located, and I would like to see them as well.
Come on now, don't scoop a kid's deal. Let him decide if he wants 'em for himself first.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The price is now $900. :p

A few years ago I wanted to buy a digital piano. The guy didn't want to deal with me, took it to work in the truck and made his 19 year old stoner son (who worked with him) handle it. I went to look at it. Price was supposed to be $100. It was a good deal, but I figured I'd see if he could be squeezed. I asked if his dad was firm on it being $100. He said "Oh no, that's like, the most he was hoping for, he'd probably take it for $40. Why? What would you offer?" ... well sorry kid, can't just drop your cards and hope I don't react to them, the price is $40 now. I paid him, we loaded it up, and he went inside to tell his dad he got it done for $40!

Tangent, the kid fatally OD's on fentanyl a few months later I heard. Stay away from the hard stuff kids.

You going to pick up a 4th GT in the family now?

If it's indeed rust free that's a hell of a deal, but, at this point, you really need to not be picking up extra vehicles unless you have a plan for them, time for them, and a budget for them. Because, over the next year if you keep looking, 4 GTs can easily become 10 at this rate.

Probably what that means in this context is, don't buy another car unless you're sure you're done shopping, and it's going to be "the" car. And, time to get rid of one of yours that's in worst shape. Strip everything off of it, coalesce it into one vehicle.

If this $900 car is as good as it seems, then that sounds like it could be "the" car, but that means you're not going to keep shopping for another, and another.

One thing to keep in mind, is that sometimes there's no cost or effort difference between something that only slightly needs a repair, versus really needs a repair. Either way if you have to repair it, the "better" one is no more valuable. I.E. if a car needs a paintjob, then it needs a paintjob, so one that needs a paintjob because 5% of the paint is damaged is equivalent to the one where 50% of the paint is damaged. Doesn't matter, both need a paintjob. If a rocker has 5 pencil-sized holes in it vs. the rocker is missing almost the entire side... either way you need a new rocker. So, don't get deceived by a way better car, that might not actually be any less work to restore. Doesn't seem like that's the case, but don't fall in love with something not much better than what you've already got.

Title is not hard to do, if you use the Vermont loophole. $76 + 6% the sale price. All you need is a bill of sale, long as it's older than 15 years. You get a registration, which is the same thing as a title in Vermont, and outside Vermont is "equivalent to" a title, which you can use to get it titled in your own state. No need to travel, do it all electronically.

Come on now, don't scoop a kid's deal. Let him decide if he wants 'em for himself first.
Well I would have a total of 3 GTs. My 1972 orange GT is just a parts car and that car is getting stripped pretty fast. We might rebuild the engine and trans in it. I will probably sell some parts from it too that I don't need. The guy is sending me pictures today and my dad really wants to see this place and see if he really has dodge vipers. It will be a fun trip my grandpa and I are excited too! My dad as like we could buy all the cars and slowly get them running! That would be pretty fun.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok guys HUGE update! My dad and I are going to look at the opel! My grandpa can't come so we are just going to look at it and make sure it is worth buying and then we will go there later with the trailer and pick it up. The place is pretty impressive from google maps and when my dad saw it he was surprised. It looks like he has 5 barns and a bunch of cars outside.
Motor vehicle World Plant Building Urban design

·
Detritus Maximus
3,592 Posts
I love junkyards on Google satellite....it's like Where's Waldo?...which one is the Opel?...the Red one in the center of the buildings?...or the Grey one two thirds up on the left?...or?

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Registered
The Young One
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love junkyards on Google satellite....it's like Where's Waldo?...which one is the Opel?...the Red one in the center of the buildings?...or the Grey one two thirds up on the left?...or?
Yea it is but the opel gt is yellow so I really didn't see it anyting yellow that looked like a opel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts