Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm new and I know this should probably be on the into page but I just wanted to ask some quick questions...

First of all, are there any major differences in body in the different years of GT's? I've been liking the 69 and 70's but I'm not sure why yet :rolleyes:

Also, is this a good deal? http://home.comcast.net/~eric.christiansen
it has a weber carb not mentioned in the ad, if that helps.

-Candace

·
Super Moderator
5,923 Posts
Candace said:
First of all, are there any major differences in body in the different years of GT's? I've been liking the 69 and 70's but I'm not sure why yet :rolleyes:
All the GT's had the same bodies, from 1968 (VERY few made) to 1973. The only major noticeable difference was the wheels. Up to 1970, they had four oval slots, and then 18 holes for 1971 and 1972. The '73 had "Rostyle" steel mags, which are a four-spoke wheel similar to the Manta.

Welcome and good luck. From what you describe, it sounds like the $2500 GT is a better deal than the rusty $1500 GT. A "runner" is always better than a car that has been parked a while, and while body work isn't TOO difficult, the description you gave of the car in your neighbourhood wasn't very appealing. But photos always help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you tons guys, maybe its just certain pics that makes bodies look different? I'll try to get some pics on here of the one down my street, but I'm not very computer smart lol so it might be a while :rolleyes:

·
1,219 Posts
There are other differences by years. Gt's made in 1971 - 1973 had pop out rear windows. In 1973 the backup light in the center was removed and replaced with two backup lights in the center of the rear tail lights. Various emblems were changed depending on the years; however, I don't have the details around that. Different years also had different steering wheels and the shift console was different on some years. The obvious difference is of course the paint colors. Mechanically there were major changes made between the 1970 and 1971. Engine compression was lowered and the drive train was improved, especially the rear axle. Other differences include seatbelts, wiring, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks again so much, I'm really considering that 71 now; although I was also looking at that ad for the GT that iceman is selling, since my dad and I were planning on converting a GT to a V6 anyway.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Candace, Before you make the leap to the V-6, might I suggest you read my articles in the engine swap area, I've been working on a 95 Camaro 3.4 V-6/92 S-10 T-5 swap for over 2 years, in conjunction with a total and complete restoration. It may give you some insight on the problems I have encountered and the possible ways to avoid them. Also, you may want to check out my Willit?Upgrade thread as well. Just some of the fun and games I've encountered in the last 2+ years. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Ron the Willit? thread has TONS of info and is quite entertaining :) It seems like it would be more practical for me right now to not try to do a V6, tho I'm sure it will be tried eventually, considering my father is a power hungry sprint car driving mechanic who will most definately wanna give it more Vroom vroom :rolleyes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Candace,
I recently picked up 2 73 GTs, and am also looking into conversions(Having just completed a V8 in a 240Z). I am considering something of a similar size to the 1.9L currently in the car. After much searching on this site, I have tentatively decided to install the drivetrain from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Similar power to the V6, but less fitment issues. I have studied the posts by Jon_haas on this board and found them very informative.
Just food for thought.....

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Just to voice a different opinion I do believe that a 1.9 can develop some real power if done right. No need to refit it either.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
If your dad is into doing that kind of job, may I suggest: 1) get a good stock GT for you to drive and 2) there are GT bodies about that don't have engines in them. This, to me seems the best way to go. My #2 GT came w/o a motor or tranny and only cost me $150.
Just my 2c's :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts