Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I assume my engine is missing the ball bearing.I found this dished out area.I assume this is where the ball resided..correct?
I painted it to locate it with my light.When I shine my light I don't see he orange mark ..I have plugged the vac adv line.

2)do I now loosen the nut at the arrow and turn the distributor till I see the orange mark on the flywheel?

my car is not idling well ...i prevously replaced tha points

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
be sure you set the points also. and yes that is the nut to loosen to rotate the distrubutor. just loosen it enough so when your playing with the timing it dont spin on its own from engine vibration.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
ball

Every time someone says they can't find the ball, it has eventually turned-up. I highly doubt that recess is what you are looking for, unless someone machined the ball out and machined a huge hole in the flywheel for some strange reason. What you're looking for is almost BB sized, and crimped into a small hole in the flywheel. It might be easiest to find if you take the bottom shield off the bell-housing, even though that is a pain.

Yep, that's the bolt you need to loosen to adjust the timing. You need to disconnect and plug both of the vacuum hoses to the distributor, not just the one, as it will not time correctly with either hooked-up.

The easiest way to find that ball, without removing the dust shield, is to remove the #1 spark plug and roll the engine over until the piston is at the top of it's stroke. It really doesn't matter if it is top or bottom dead center, as in both cases the ball will be lined-up. Get the piston to the top of its stroke, then back the engine up a bit with a wrench or socket and watch the hole in the block as you slowly bring the engine over past TDC. If you see the piston going back down you've gone too far. It's a little ball, and you might want to put a finger in there to feel for it.

Once you have the ball lined-up, the engine will either be at Top Dead Center, or 180 out from there. At TDC, the contact part on the end of the rotor should be pointing at or very near the little line on the distributor base that lines-up with the #1 spark plug hole. Rotate the distributor slightly counter-clockwise until the points just barely open, and the rotor is still under #1. Put the cap back on, the spark plug back in #1 and fire the motor. It should run well enough to get timed.

Good luck!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
opel sage

old opel guy ..you are correct and now I can go to sleep.

I found the bb sized ball and it is crimped as you described.my fly wheel has several dished out areas too.

I found the second vacuum to the distributor.

my timing was right on the arrow..so I have to look at other issues for my rough idle.

I think my 32-36 carb is 8 years and 80 000 miles old..does this mean I should look at a rebuild kit?

it smells gassy in the carb area after driving it..enough that my whole garage as a smell..but i dont see any drips external.

does this mean a bad float? I have been starting to study the rebuild/adjustment process but is there anyone I can
send it(weber 32 36) too and they will rebuild and return?

greensmurf you are correct ..that was the bolt..thank you too.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Kit?

The truely beautiful thing about the Weber carb is that you can do almost everything to it with it still in the car. I have seen the floats stick a few times, and all you need to do is remove the top cover and clean up what you can get to. Take a good look at the fuel shut-of needle, if the tip is still soft you're probably good, if it has hardened you'll need at least the needle and seat.

One cool trick from the Holley guys: Coat the gasket with Chap-stick. It'll keep it from sticking and help it seal. I use my wife's, but I wouldn't recommend you doing the same if you want to keep her.

Rebuild kits are not expensive, just get a copy of Hot VW's and go with almost any of their big advertisers. Do yourself a couple of favors, and order a pertronics unit and copper exhaust nuts at the same time. That $75 order may be the best money you'll spend on the Opel this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts