Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This is official notice, that the "media blackout" imposed regarding the Opel GT Introduction Event, is now lifted. (Thursday 10AM local time).

It was necessary, to impose this blackout, to provide security for media representatives and restrict photographic assess to new Opel vehicles, during this event. Opel (as a division of General Motors) needed to know that they could rely upon the U.S. Opel Community to act in support of the extraordinary efforts they made, to ensure this event was a success.

Event participants, are now authorized to share their images and stories, that are associated with
this event.

Mod Edit: Post photos Here

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Cancel Red Alert
Shields Down
Return to Defcon 5
:lmao:

·
789 Posts
I am certain much more news is forthcoming but lets just say that the US Opel Community was treated like royality and we in turn treated the new turbo-charged GT's with respect....OK one blown tire and one speeding ticket!(many of us were guilty...its just too hard to convert kilometers to mph when your spooling up the turbo on mountain roads!) I should mention a rev limiter kicks in at 6200 rpm :no:

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
... I should mention a rev limiter kicks in at 6200 rpm :no:
The rev limiter is there to protect the engine - it's on my Solstice too and I've hit it a few times. However, you can have the ECM re-tuned to remove the upper speed limiter that GM felt compelled to include and make other performance adjustments. I had this done on my Solstice and it added about 1 MPG in fuel economy and some HP gain. Of course, on the turbo GT, that probably isn't required... :cool:

·
Opeler
82 Posts
Hugh Opel Event, Palm Springs

My wife and I just returned from three great days in Palm Springs for the official GM launching of the the new Opel GT. General Motors spared no expense at the launch. They flew in over 450 media writers from Europe over a two week period. They also had 25 classic GT's there to represent the history of the Opel GT. Many of the classic GT owners are members of this website. The program went like this: The media would be briefed on the new Opel GT in a meeting room at the hotel. Then the media would exit the hotel to a roped off private parking lot behind the hotel. To the media's complete surprise, they would come upon a line up of 25 great looking classic GT's. The media was then allowed to drive the classic GT's to staging area a few miles away from the hotel were they would transfer to a fleet of new 2007 Opel GT's. Next, the media took the new GT for a 4 to 5 hour test drive thought the desert and challenging mountain winding roads on a predetermined route. It was quite a contrast going from the classic Gt to the new GT.
To show their appreciation, GM invited the 25 owners of the classic GT's to Palm Springs to allow us to experience the same program as the media. They put us up in a nice hotel and feed us good meals. We drove the new GTs yesterday for about five hours. We also meant the project managers, engineers, vice president and other Opel big wigs. They treated us very well.
One other bonus, the 25 classic Gt's were signed under the hood by the original designers and Opel personnel.
BTW, this was all hush- hush and we could not discuss this until the event was over. Now it can be talked about.
I would like to thank Gil from OGTS for bringing this all together for the Classic GT owners. He, and his staff , did a wonderful job.

Attachments

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,392 Posts

·
789 Posts

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
My wife and I just returned from three great days in Palm Springs for the official GM launching of the the new Opel GT.
That is so cool :cool: - what an opportunity! :biggthump

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Did anyone ask the GM people if they were going to bring the Opel GT to the United States? :yup:
Someone suggested half jokingly that you could always buy a Saturn Sky Redline and re-badge it with Opel... :D

·
tomking
2,447 Posts
Wow! What an event, what an experience. While the rest of us GT owners are thrilled to hear and see it, we are jealous of those who got to experience it first hand. It had to be a great time.

·
415 Posts
:crying: Wish I could have been part of such a coo event!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts