Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
Dang! that looks like it was great fun! We want to hear more!!!

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts

2007 Opel GT Launch

There were 19 total 2007 Opel GTs that Opel offered to the owners who donated there Opel GTs to help promote the new GT launch for the European press.
Our Opels were used for appox. 2 1/2 weeks as a surprise to both journalists who came to Palm Springs in a fleet of Opel Astras. Opel hoped to evoke "Emotion" bringing the orignal Opel GT experience to normally very jaded journalists.
From the responce: The journalists were surprised to see the vintage Opels, instead of the new Opels in the Parker Hotel lot. They were completely blown away when they were told that they would be able to drive the vintage Opels over to the Launch point 15 minutes drive time away through beautiful downtown palm Springs.
The pay off for everyone was Wednesday the 8th. last week, when Opel pampered our group in the luxury Viceroy Hotel, Diner and New GT Drive Day.

Wednesday was our Drive Day
19 gleeming new GTs awaited us with there convertible tops down. The car I received was a yellow GT with lic. # 007M21. The 260HP 2.0L direct injection turbo with 5 speed gear box, running to a independant rear suspension onto 18 inch wheels wrapped in Potenzas.
Our group was able to take the new GTs up & over the mountains for a few hours, treated to lunch and back to the parker hotel.

The new GTs handle great, especially when the traction control is switched off & the esp was turned to 'Competative' mode. The Opel handled very responce in this mode and responded rapidly to each input. Power was smooth, no turbo lag, and felt much like a high end touring car, and not brutal like a racer.
Tight responsive and in touch with the driver. Just the way I like cars.
others felt the cars was twitchy, but I think that has to do more with personal driving styles, that the car.
All in all, it was an exceptional day, in a Opel that felt much like a European sports car.
Dennis 73 GT Targa, 73 Manta GT/E clone

·
415 Posts

2007 Opel GT Launch

There were 19 total 2007 Opel GTs that Opel offered to the owners who donated there Opel GTs to help promote the new GT launch for the European press.

Offered as in they could buy them? Or, was it just for the ride youe mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
We all just got to drive them for the day.:)
Jim, I wondered if you were a member of the Opel Elite! I can't seem to find you in the group photo, but I did find Dennis Gardiner, and Gil & Patty Wesson. So, who else was there? I gather Paul Heebink and Don Stewart were there. Some of the faces in the photo are familiar from my OMC Picnic visits in 2003 and 2005, but a bit hard to make out. Is that Roger Wilson at the end of the row on the right?

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Offered as in they could buy them? Or, was it just for the ride youe mentioned?
No, we could not purchase them. Opel loaned us the 19 GTs for a day Fun Run. Real cool of them to do so.

SO Much good will has been generated at Opel, by Gil and the classic Opel GT owners cars donating there time, money and cars to be available to Opel for the 2 1/2 weeks. That..........

Opel is now seriously "considering" offering a kit to convert a RED-LINE Saturn Sky into a Opel GT. {Hopefully comes about!}

This would most likely consist of badges, and specific trim pieces, perhaps even lights (if they are DOT ILLEGAL in the USA).

OBVIOUSLY.... Some things would not be offered for DOT regulation and SMOG reasons.

-One of these would be the Kilometer speedometer. (bad idea for us in US)
-The computer of course not would be another one, why???
1. The Opel GT for Europe is designed to run on 95 octane gasoline. In the USA do not have access to 95 at the pump. I know that in Some places 93 octane is available but in Cali. are with stuck with lousy 91 octane.
2. The USA has different Emission Regulations the the European Community.

Dennis 73 Targa GT, 73 Manta GT/E clone, IROC Buick
considering a Sky redline now!!!

:yup:

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
1. The Opel GT for Europe is designed to run on 95 octane gasoline. In the USA do not have access to 95 at the pump. I know that in Some places 93 octane is available but in Cali. are with stuck with lousy 91 octane.
FWIW, Some Sunoco stations offer 94 octane in the US. The octane difference is by no means a show stopper - there are a LOT of custom built street rod engines in the US that have high octane requirements.

Todd

·
'72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
The Opel GT for Europe is designed to run on 95 octane gasoline. In the USA do not have access to 95 at the pump.
I posted this in the "Sky to GT Conversion" thread too, but, just to clarify, I am relatively certain that the ECM in the two cars is the same and that the difference (including fuel octane requirements) is simply a matter of programming. I base this on the re-tune I had done to my Solstice ECM. The company that re-flashed the ECM required me to pick an fuel octane that I would be using (I picked 93 since that is readily available in Atlanta). I seem to recall that a re-tune based on 91 octane fuel was also offered. So, the "kit" to turn a Red LIne into a GT would likely have to include an ECM re-tune.

·
1000 Post Club
4,110 Posts
Does Europe use the same method of getting their Octane #? I know there are two methods so would any reprogramming be necessary?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Europe is Different

There are 2 different aspects:

Octane measurement is different, meaning
their 100 octane is about our 95 octane.

Also, the fuel blends (particularly in California)
are quite different, in the anti-smog compounds
that are used.

US gasoline offers significantly less performance.
On the other hand, US gas sells for far less
than the equivalent $6-$7/gallon price in Europe.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Opel is now seriously "considering" offering a kit to convert a RED-LINE Saturn Sky into a Opel GT. {Hopefully comes about!}

-One of these would be the Kilometer speedometer. (bad idea for us in US)

:yup:
I know at least one of us who can use the KPH speedo...:D :D

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
I am relatively certain that the ECM in the two cars is the same................. I base this on the re-tune I had done to my Solstice ECM............... So, the "kit" to turn a Red LIne into a GT would likely have to include an ECM re-tune.
Never said you can not re-tune the computer programming, or have it reflashed, etc.

But Smog Standards in the USA & Europe are different.

Example:
When Opel made a US Legal Opel GTs, Mantas Kadetts etc. , they had to do a few things to be US Department of Transportation legal.

Some Examples:
-Opel had to add side markers for the USA market
>In Europe side markewrs are not allowed.
~Which meant sheet metal changes

-Opel had to comply with US Federal Smog requirements in 1971, which gave us the US the low power 1.9L 7.6:1 compression engines.
>In Europe they still had the high compression 9:1 1.9L engines.
~Which meant special "Dished" pistons to drop compression for the USA

-Opel had to comply with CA Smog regulations for 1975 Manta and Wagons sold, by adding a Catalytic Converter.
>Cats. in Germany were not mandated until over a decade later.
~Which meant floor board & passenger seat frame changes on the 75 Manta & Wagon to accommodate the cat.

I can add to the list, but what I want to say is "IF" GM had allowed the 2007Opel GT to come to the USA (And there was no Saturn Sky) changes would have had, to have been made to be Federally DOT Legal to sell in the USA. This would have included changes in the computer programming to be Federal Clean Air Standards & California Air Resources Board legal. "CARB"

For Example:
If a computer is reprogrammed. It must first have been issued a CARB approved number to be legally used on a public street in CA.

This comes from experience, not conjecture. I used to be CARB certified to conduct California Smog inspections. Believe me, TEST cars would be occasionally run through our shop to Test& see if the Licensed Inspector was doing his job. The penalties were & still are severe.

Remember we are talking about brand new cars, which have to be "compliant" not 40 year old Opels that in most places need go through no checks.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Real good points made Dennis, but that was when we were going through major changes in emissions controls here and they were not mandated in Europe. Now the emissions standards are fairly close worldwide, so the standards and requirements can be incorporated in any car, for sale anywhere, at a fairly minimal cost to the manufacturer. From what I've seen here and on the "net" the Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Sky, and the Opel GT engine are within 4 HP of each other. The other requirements for safety glass, headlghts, and bumper and other DOT and CARB requirements are easy to attain, expecially when the same platform is used on all three cars. Makes me wonder why the GT isn't sold as is by either Pontiac or Saturn, with the DOT and CARB requirements as it was by Buick in days past. It would sure save on the extra cost for minor sheetmetal changes and rebadging. I wonder why the bean counters didn't figure that out. :confused:

·
Idiot with a GT
155 Posts
FWIW, Some Sunoco stations offer 94 octane in the US. The octane difference is by no means a show stopper - there are a LOT of custom built street rod engines in the US that have high octane requirements.

Todd
The Sunoco down the street from me sells 100 Octane racing fuel "for off road use only" at about $6/gallon. Not sure if the Sky redline can handle it, but if anyone is interested...:)
Dave

·
Senior Contributor
4,999 Posts
Spoke to Roger Wilson last night, he was at this event and drove the new GT. He said the guy next to him s**t his pants when he was at 200KPH and an unexpected wrongly banked turn popped up, Roger said he started down shifting
like crazy as he didn't dare touch the brakes since the left side of the road was nothing but down, down, down. He did say, as others have in this thread, that everyone was treated very well by GM and that he had a fantastic experience.

·
635 Posts
Part of the group YES Elite??? that is questionable

Jim, I wondered if you were a member of the Opel Elite! I can't seem to find you in the group photo, but I did find Dennis Gardiner, and Gil & Patty Wesson. So, who else was there? I gather Paul Heebink and Don Stewart were there. Some of the faces in the photo are familiar from my OMC Picnic visits in 2003 and 2005, but a bit hard to make out. Is that Roger Wilson at the end of the row on the right?
Kathy and I are in the group pic She has a light blue outfit on and I am dressed in black with a blue/white Opel hat on my head. We are just behind Don and Debbie Stewart.
Who else? My good friends the Martinez brothers ( Mauricio and Robert) and wifes ( Lorenna and Vivianna) , Dave ( Dave's not here) Jerry Hendricks his wife Judy and daughter Jillian ( very nice people), My good friends all the way from New York, Bryan Sullivan and Yvonne R. Beamon (69Opel), Sal Martoranna and his son, Yes Roger Wilson and Paul Heebink were there, Gary Ruyle from San Diego, Michael and Dorothy Brooks (I hope that is his new wifes name) , Dick Counsil, Andrew Gorman's GT (but he was not there in person),Charles Jordan, Louis Van Steen ( the Netherlands), Walter Foxtree, Nick (and Jo ?) Webb,.... of course all the people you mentioned as well.

There are others I can not recall thier names from memory.
One man from Washington knew of me but I did not know him and not recal his name at the moment.
One person I should remember is "Jerry"? ( I want to buy that engine from you) who got a speeding ticket.
He said it was the happiest ticket he ever got. WE ALL chipped in to help defray the cost of his unfortunate CHP experience. One other GT driver talked his way out of his ticket. The CHP officer who asked, " Do you know how fast you were going? " , Driver of GT said, "No I do not know, I don't know how to do the math!!" (KPH to MPH conversion.!) Quick thinking ( the CHP officer had owned a 1970 GT) and a little humor got him off with a warning to slow it down, whew.
SO there are others and forgive me Opelers for not recalling all of you from my old worn out memory ( over 50) maybe Gil or Dennis can add the ones I missed/omitted.

A Splendid time was had by all of us. We were treated very nicely.
What a thrill to drive a 2007 GT! :)

Thanks again to the OMC, Opel/GM and Gil Wesson ( Louis Van Steen) for all his (thier) time and efforts to make it a success.

·
Opeler
42 Posts
As the guy with soiled shorts next to Roger Wilson I have to tell you that the new GT is amazing. With its traction control engaged this car will make you look and feel like a formula 1 driver. The bottom end torque allows you to drive it hard without revving the engine which is good because when it hits the rev limiter the fuel shuts off and the fun is over. Turn the traction control off and Nascar style smokey burnouts are yours for the asking. The down side is that if you are over six feet tall you will be cramped and your hat will try to blow off. There is NO trunk space with the top down. The dash lacks the proper gauges that a enthusiast will want. Now how can I put my beautiful GT body with leg and interior room on a new GT running gear.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts