Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is time to start Pre-registering for the 2008 Opel Nationals in Charlotte, North Carolina. You will need to pre-register with me (Roy Bell) at [email protected] or on this site. The registration is FREE!
Please send me your Name, Address, telephone number and what model and year your Opel is that you plan to bring.
About a month before the Nationals, I will send out a packet with two passes to get you and someone else into the show field and a window sticker for the Opel. You will also receive any information that is needed for you to attend the show! Again, all this is Free if you bring an Opel!
If you do not already know, we have a hotel set up for all the "Opelers" to stay during the show. It is the University Place Hampton Inn in Charlotte. The hotel telephone number is 704-548-0905 to get your reservations. Be sure to tell the desk clerk that you are with the Opel Motorsports Club to receive a discounted rate of $99 per night. The show dates are Friday, September 5th, Saturday, September 6th and Sunday, September 7th.
You may also call me at 704-782-1866 if you have any questions. Just leave a message with a telephone number if you have to leave a message.
Looking forward to meeting new Opel people and seeing old friends!

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Gps Addresses

Oooooner, a couple things.

1. a GPS address for the Hampton Inn and for the Speedway.

2. find some on that can update the Upcoming Events Link to this thread for 2008 instead of to the 2007 Event.

gotta keep you busy

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. a GPS address for the Hampton Inn and for the Speedway.
Sawdust... The Hampton Inn's address is: 8419 North Tryon, Charlotte, North Carolina 28262

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2. find some on that can update the Upcoming Events Link to this thread for 2008 instead of to the 2007 Event.

gotta keep you busy
Sawdust, I sent Gary a note asking to link this thread to the Nationals event list. I appreciate you pointing these things out to me!

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BUMPED back to the Top! :D

·
462 Posts
Hey Roy, How will all the cars get to the infield during nationals? Will we all have to meet and drive in as a group or will they let us drive in as we arrive?

Seems like it will be hard to get everyone to drive in as a group with 40-50 cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Roy, How will all the cars get to the infield during nationals? Will we all have to meet and drive in as a group or will they let us drive in as we arrive?

Seems like it will be hard to get everyone to drive in as a group with 40-50 cars.
Helmut,
To be honest, I'm not too sure yet. Those are questions that will need to be answered when I talk more with the speedway officials. But, there have been other car clubs with many more than 50 cars show up and they get them all in OK. The AutoFair people have this show going pretty smooth so there should not be any problems.
I guess there will not be a problem with cars arriving late but it will be more of a problem for those who are late than anything else due to the heavy traffic outside the speedway.
Hey, do you want to register for the Nationals? :D

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump to the top... Again :wave:

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Now is the time to begin making your plans to attend the 2008 opel Nationals in Charlotte, North Carolina at Lowe's Motor Speedway. A few of the ideas being kicked around for the show are having a Dyno on Friday at the hotel. This idea is Keith Lundholm's idea and he still doesn't know for sure if he can get the Dyno there. But hopefully, we can talk him into it!
Also, we will be having dinner on Friday and Saturday evenings. One of the places will be the Quaker Steak and Lube. The other place has yet to be decided. But believe me, the places will be good and reasonably priced!
Of course, the main show will be on Saturday at the Speedway. Our "Best In Show" winner will go on to the Sunday show to compete against all the other car clubs' Best in Show winners. Great competition! Anyone wishing to attend the Sunday show can get their cars into the show field as well. I will need to know who will want to attend on Sunday so I can get the required passes.
Remember, the show passes and windshield stickers are free! Great deal.
Please refer back to the first post in this thread for the information on getting your motel room and registering with me.

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
You had kicked around the idea of having a raffle with donated parts? You still iterested in that. I would be willing to donate a few unique parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You had kicked around the idea of having a raffle with donated parts? You still iterested in that. I would be willing to donate a few unique parts.
Tony,
Thanks for reminding me. Someone (was it you, Tony?) had brought up the idea of a raffle that would help pay for the extra trophies that we would be giving out at the Nationals along with other goodies that we may think of. The extra trophies would be over and above the trophies that the AutoFair people "give" to us. We would be able to have many more awards than a normal show.
(Just a side note.... I am not trying to make money on this event. I would like to at least break even, which I think I can do if I handle everything properly. I'm in this for the fun!)
So, if anyone has any ideas to make this a great National event, please speak up. This is our event of the year, not mine. I'm just part of the mix! :D

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
So, if anyone has any ideas to make this a great National event, please speak up. :D
I don't see anything wrong with a $20 entrance fee to cover incidentals. :veryhappy

Maybe this way everyone that attends can receive a particapation plaque. I don't know if you found a place that makes trophies/plaques. I can't see a plaque costing more than $10 each and that would leave $10 for beer.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,458 Posts
Well it goes without saying.. rain or shine I will be there..

I am hoping for shine :veryhappy

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see anything wrong with a $20 entrance fee to cover incidentals. :veryhappy

Maybe this way everyone that attends can receive a particapation plaque. I don't know if you found a place that makes trophies/plaques. I can't see a plaque costing more than $10 each and that would leave $10 for beer.
I know where you are coming from. I have a place that makes nice plaques/trophies for me and they do a great job. Getting a plaque made for everyone who attends may be a little expensive. I had thought about giving a participation plaque to those who attend but do not win an award. That way, everyone will walk off with something in their hands. I think the raffle can take care of this expense with no problem, as long as we have people donate items that can be raffled off. The beer would be great if was paid for but not everybody drinks beer. Not everybody would like the beer bought, etc. So it may be best to leave it to each of us to bring what we like to drink at the hotel conference room on Friday and Saturday night.
Having an "entrance" fee may keep a few people away as well. With the price of gas these days, no sense it making it any worse than it already is.
Sawdust, thanks for the idea!

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well it goes without saying.. rain or shine I will be there..

I am hoping for shine :veryhappy

Charles, Do you know which opel you will be bringing?

As everyone registers, I need to know what Opel you are bringing so I can get a "feel" for what classes/trophy's I need to get. I also need your address so I can send you the information, maps, etc., we we get within a month of the show!

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
Having an "entrance" fee may keep a few people away
I was just thinking of the $40 entrance fee that we paid for Springfield. I don't know if that scared off anyone.

It was just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was just thinking of the $40 entrance fee that we paid for Springfield. I don't know if that scared off anyone.

It was just a thought.

Sawdust,
I forgot about the $40 entrance fee at Springfield. But that didn't go to the Opelers, I don't think. It probably helped pay for the trophies there, though. (Maybe John can correct me on that). At the AutoFair, as long as you have a car in a club such as ours (Carolina Opel Club or OMC) they let you in free without a entrance fee. And, they give a trophy for each five cars you have there, plus a "Best In Show" trophy! It doesn't cost one red cent.

·
1,089 Posts
Count me in Roy, I've sent you my personal info. I'll secure a room this week.

Very nice of you to do all of this work for the gang with no reward besides the admiration of your fellow man!

Jim

·
tomking
2,474 Posts
Springfield I think does not charge for people to attend to view the show; they did, do charge for the cars in attendance. It sounds like Charlotte is just the opposite, they charge for people to attend to view,but not for those showing. Each has to raise funds somehow.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts