Opel GT Forum banner

2011 Route 66 Mother Road Fest Sept. 23-25 Springfield IL

25K views 108 replies 28 participants last post by  madmann 
#1 ·
Just received the advanced "Early Bird" registration form for the Route 66 Mother Road Festival.

$30 Early Bird Good until January 31, 2011
$35 Normal Pre-registration
$50 at the gate.

On-line registration: www.familyevents.com

Are you ready OpelJohn??

#2 ·
Got mine too! Hope my car will be done:yup:

#3 ·
... Are you ready OpelJohn??
I think OpelJohn was born ready. And it's a class-act he puts together every year.

BTW, I don't think OpelJohn ever received the recognition that was his due for driving his GT out to Laguna Seca, California. He made an epic trip by himself during a national heat wave. Job well done John.

#5 ·
I try not to post on the Mother Road Fest this early but I think Hans has the right Idea. Getting the info out on the savings may get a few more folks to commit sooner rather than later. Seeing as how Hans has got this thread started we'll keep it as the home thread for next years event. Thanks also to Kieth and Paul for thier compliments. For those who may not know it Kieth made the same trip from the other direction so knows a bit about it. I will say I am proud of the fact that our GT is one of very few Opels that have been Driven to the show fields at Carlisle, Charlotte, a West Coast event and of course the RT. 66 Mother Road Fest. The fact that this can be done in a 38 year old car says a lot about the inherent dependability of our Opels. Although I am hopeful of a good turnout at this event next year I also want to remind all that 2011 is the National event at Carlisle. It would be great to see 100+ Opels show up there. In Europe they can get 300 GTs at an event. When you think about our events including all Opels we should have similar numbers. As I write this my GT sits in the garage with the hood up waiting to be worked on for next season.

#6 ·
John. It doesn't hurt to get info out early. I got my package from Family Events too and will likely send it in during January. I'm making plans for Springfield and Carlisle and it's never too soon to be thinking about them and know they will be happening. :yup:

#8 ·
2011 Route 66 Mother Road Festival @ Springfield IL. Sept. 23-25

Once again it is time to start the ball rolling for this years Rt. 66 Mother Road Fest.

Basic info is as follows.
Dates ; September 23-25
Place ; Springfield IL.
Club Hotel ; Route 66 Hotel & Conference Center at 625 East Saint Joseph St.
Hotel Contact Info ; Phone # 1-888-707-8366 Route 66 Hotel Conference Center Banquets Meetings Conventions Hotels Springfield, Illinois
Room Rate $45.00 per night for Opel Motorsports Club / 25 room block
Event info and contact ; www.rt66fest.com or Monster Truck Events, Hot Rods, Classic Cars | Family Events

For those who may not have made this event before I would suggest you look at threads for past years. It has most often been a good time to get out and meet with your fellow Opelers.

The weekend starts with some of our group getting to the Hotel by early afternoon on Friday. The event starts with an evening cruise from a point on the east side of town to the Downtown Show area. In the past we have tried to eat an early dinner and make a part of the cruise. I will post more on that later. More often than not we break off the cruise at our Hotel and spend the rest evening in the hospitality room " Bench Racing".

On Saturday morning we meet as a group on the parking lot of the Hotel by about 8:00 am and travel to Downtown Show area as a group as much as possible. This helps make sure we are parked as a group. We do of course try to leave space for late arrivals. After that we are free to roam downtown and check out something like 1000 other Show Cars. About 4:00 pm we try to meet back at our area to do some particpant judging for our Club awards. These are not to be confused with the show awards. Those are done by the Show Judges for the Opel Class to be given out on main stage Sunday. This is the only Show like this that I know of that has an Opel Class with three awards. After our awards we in the past have done a raffle for door prizes. This is also something to talk about more. Around 5:30 or so we try to leave and have dinner as a group. After dinner back to Hotel for more bench racing.

Sunday is a bit more laid back as some folks leave for home. Those who stay meet about 10:00 am to drive downtown. After the Awards are handed out about noon we say our good byes and call it a weekend.

If you can, get your room early and let us know on here.

#48 ·
Dates ; September 23-25
Place ; Springfield IL.
Club Hotel ; Route 66 Hotel & Conference Center at 625 East Saint Joseph St.
Hotel Contact Info ; Phone # 1-888-707-8366 Route 66 Hotel Conference Center Banquets Meetings Conventions Hotels Springfield, Illinois
Room Rate $45.00 per night for Opel Motorsports Club / 25 room block
Event info and contact ; www.rt66fest.com or Monster Truck Events, Hot Rods, Classic Cars | Family Events

If you can, get your room early and let us know on here.
I just made our hotel reservation, so there must be rooms left. I wouldn't wait much longer, though. We look forward to seeing everyone in four weeks!

Bill

#9 ·
Chris and I were just looking at the schedule. We are going to Yosemite National Park the week of Rt 66 and will fly home on Friday. Just enough time to head out Sat. am like we normally do to get to Springfield about 10 Sat. am. Hoping to have our Kadett ready this year.
You're in charge of the weather John!

#10 ·
I'm in! Barring any family situations like the one that cropped up in 2010, I'll be there with a Manta. My wife has actually been talking about it and looking forward to the trek. Thanks for hosting the event, John, as you do a wonderful job at everything!:yup: Let me know if I can be of any help.
-Jeff W

#17 ·
waiting for the cutoff time to get a little closer. I am registered to the car show as of January.

#15 ·
Chris and I may need to stay somewhere besides the RT 66 Motel due to the fact that it is a payroll week and she needs wi-fi access where we stay, for her laptop, to monitor payroll for several thousand peeps. It's a great little place with a lot of history behind it but since we'll be gone all week to Calf. she'll need to have a working weekend.

#21 ·
she needs wi-fi access where we stay, for her laptop,
As I recall, I've been able to access the wi-fi from my room and from the conference room in the past. The hotel website does list free wi-fi as an amenity in the rooms. I don't know if you've had connection issues in the past, or if they changed something last year as I couldn't go then. Might be worth a call to the hotel. They may have certain rooms closer to the hot spots.
-Jeff W

#23 ·
Need to say thank you to Tom C. for merging the two Rt 66 threads.
I had totally forgotten that Hans had started a thread back last fall. Sorry about that Hans. We are getting a good core group for this event and some of you have said you want to be more involved. I'll post more on that idea later. As to why it is important look at posts on this years Nationals at Carlisle. It worked very well for what I think will now be a standing National Committee to work with a local group. Which means if the national event would in the future return to the Rt. 66 Mother Road Fest we need more folks than just me to handle it.

#29 ·
Mark Thanks for the bump.

Time is moving quickly. I plan to do a longer post, maybe tomorrow during the hot part of the day. Yes I have been trying to get to know the Ascona. I hope to bring both to the show if I can talk Connie into driving one. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to Ascona and then maybe some want to do stuff. I am already way over my Opel budget for the year.
John

#32 ·
Thru the years Connie for the most part has allowed me free reign with Opel matters. I will have to admit over the last two years, trips and repairs have added up. Her attitude with the Ascona has been on the " you want to spend how much on what?" side. Between the GT and now the Ascona I have been doing my share to support said CA vendors and stimulate the economy. I think when I get my bride in the driver seat of the Ascona more she will relent some. Near 100 degree temps have put that idea back aways. Her sweating in the Ascona will not award it points. And yes Tom, us old codgers on a fixed income need be more frugal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.