Opel GT Forum banner

2012 Opel Nationals in GA

31K views 183 replies 35 participants last post by  BQS4 
#1 ·
YEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!! The 2012 Opel Nationals in GA can finally be announced!!
Come one, come all who can, from TX, TN, AL, LA, MS, FL, SC, NC, KY, GA, and all the other 50 States, and even those from around the world! :banana: Ya'll come on down, kick your shoes off and set a spell!
Place: Blairsville, GA in the beautiful north GA mountains.
Date: October 12-14, 2012
Time: When ever you get here!:veryhappy
Event: Blairsville Sorgum Festival
Hotel: Holiday In Express

OK, this is how we're got it going. We would like, for those who can, get here as early Fri the 12th, it will be a "meet and greet" affair. We plan to meet at a local steak house (to be detailed later) and then to go the hotel to meet in the conference room for the Carlisle-like "bench-racing" (wink wink, nudge nudge)

Saturday will start with a country breakfast, then we (all attending Opel's) will be in the town's parade. Even though there's another car show, in another part of the town, we will be the ones in the parade, then we'll meet at the town's square to park and show the cars. Those that want to can go to the local shops, vendors and such, but, mostly it'll be a time to relax and enjoy mixing with the local people. Then later, we'll return to the hotel for more bench-racing and a catered BBQ dinner from a local, but, great caterer.

Sunday will be for those who won't be leaving till later in the day, or whatever, another breakfast, and a Mountain run, again this is for those who are staying longer and want to do so.
There is another car show in town that weekend, but, we will be given the exclusive rights to be on the town square. The other car show will be about a mile away at a park. The Holiday Inn Express has recently been remodeled and according to our local member, the rooms are awesome, but, follow the links above and read the reviews. In addition to the conference room, there's an outside meeting area, made available to us, with a fire pit, so those that want to meet outside in the cool north GA air, can do so. The room rate will be about $76 a night.

Plan to come if you can, the more the merrier. We welcome all old friends from Carlisle, Charlotte, and Springfield, but, we would like to see new faces, to make new friends too, so, those from the nearby southeastern area, please make an effort to come and meet those from up north. We'd really like for those, who can work it out, to come on Friday as early as possible, but, we do realize that everyone situation is different.

Now, ya'll will notice that there has been no mention of judging cars, because we're not, EVERYONE who brings a car, will receive a grill badge, or a dash plaque. There's an event only hat-pin being designed as well as t-shirts and hats more details on these later, so stay tuned to this thread for more details.
There are options that were discussed, and those who want to can go to nearby Helen, GA Although, be forewarned, Helen will be in FULL Oktoberfest mode and it will be crowed, but, still worth a look for those that have never been there.
For those who have kids, there's nearby Hiawassee (about 20 minutes away) that has a "Malibu Gran Prix" like activities park, as well as more shops, for those who want to window shop.
There could be a run planned to nearby Brasstown Bald (Highest point in GA)

Additional note, it has been brought to my attention and should be noted, that the "other" car show will NOT be going on the same time as our Nationals. Their show is the next weekend, so we'll be the ONLY car show in town, making it a much better event.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I thought this was the stir up interest thread, could you maybe retitle it as :

2012 Opel Nationals in GA, Oct 12-14 OR

something like that so people recognize it as the real/official thread!

I will RSVP when I look over my schedule, it is football, marching band season!!

#9 ·
If I go I will tag along with you.. I-95 through Richmond to I-85 :)

#8 ·
OK, now that Carlisle is behind us, it's time to look forward to the Nationals here in GA. I would suggest that those of you who are sure you're coming to please go ahead and get your room(s) booked. I'll start a thread for comments and such so everyone won't have to go through the header first to get to the comments.

#10 ·
Gene, as you know things around here in October book up real fast
due to the many festivals and such...so your right, now would be a good
time to book your room to avoid any dissapointments...we have 30 rooms
blocked....just mention the Georgia Opel Club when you call....:yup:

SteveGT

#12 ·
Ha! Ha! :lmao:

That's hilarious! Thanks for pm'ing me about your post, Dan!

He wants you to fix up his engine? What kind does it have, it sounds like an airplane one?

Maybe we can have a dog fight with him chasing me around teeter-totters and monkey bars in the school yard! :yup:

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK, update time, Steve has just checked at the Holiday Inn, and there are only 3 rooms booked. I'm about to book mine, but, Steve was told by the Holiday Inn that if we don't get more rooms booked by the 15th of August, they'll have to release the rooms to be booked by people coming in for the Sorghum Festival. Yes this is a big deal for the local area. Right now the Holiday Inn is booked for the GA Mountain Festival and it's in Hiawassee 20 miles away!! So, if you have been waiting for the "kick in the britches" now is the time, or we're going to have to cancel the Nationals!?!?! Wheels are in motion for the various things, and we (the GA Opel Group) are planning a meet on August 11th to finalize things. I don't want to panic everyone, but, those that do want to come, need to get the rooms booked. If you want to call the Holiday Inn direct, the number is 1-706-745-6844 ask for reservations there, don't let them transfer you to the "National" reservation center. Also when you do get their reservations, Tell them the "GOC" code (saves you ~$25), for Georgia Opel Club.

#19 · (Edited)
... Steve was told by the Holiday Inn that if we don't get more rooms booked by the 15th of August, they'll have to release the rooms to be booked by people coming in for the Sorghum Festival. Yes this is a big deal for the local area. Right now the Holiday Inn is booked for the GA Mountain Festival and it's in Hiawassee 20 miles away!! So, if you have been waiting for the "kick in the britches" now is the time, or we're going to have to cancel the Nationals!?!?! ... need to get the rooms booked. If you want to call the Holiday Inn direct, the number is 1-706-745-6844 ask for reservations there, don't let them transfer you to the "National" reservation center. Also when you do get their reservations, Tell them the "GOC" code (saves you ~$25), for Georgia Opel Club.
I just called, was forwarded to their reservation center, and had to call back to the hotel. Make sure and tell them you're with the GA Opel Club when booking or they will automatically transfer you. I'm waiting on a call back from the hotel now.

Steve and the GA guys have gone to a lot of effort to make this a fun event. It WON'T happen if reservations don't start pouring in soon. According to Steve they may release the rooms BEFORE the 15th. We're getting a break on the room rates. They have LITTLE incentive to hold them for us when they can book them for $125/night and will if we don't book them first. :yup:

Harold

P.S. Looking forward to a shorter drive for me, beautiful scenery, seeing old friends and meeting folks that have never been to an Opel meet before.

#17 ·
Thanks Gene, I was shocked when I went to the motel this morning and found only 3 had booked...I live here and I know how busy this area gets in October...you will see an incredible display of Fall colors here in North Georgia which along with the festival brings in thousands from all over....rooms go quick and early and prices are out the roof....they gave us a great rate for this time of year here in the mountains..

Also when you reserve your room with a CC they do not charge your card until you arrive....normally for the "tourist" you pay the first night, they charge it and you loose your $$$$ if you dont show up.....not so for the GOC...that was nice...

The Georgia Opel Club has planned an incredible weekend for the 2012 Nationals here in Georgia...trust me it will be worth the drive for you and family....but if you wait until after August 15th, the Manager told me..."Good Luck on finding a room"...nearest Motels are 25-30 miles away....We look forward to a great 2012 Opel Nationals....hope to see ya there.

SteveGT

#21 · (Edited)
Hotel Reservations made

1. 06Charger
2. 72fireglow
3. Bill Hoffman
4. BQS4 (Gene)
5. Country Jim
6. Crliwa
7. dcm013
8. edwinopel
9. Gil Wesson
10. Guyopel
11. haloeffec
12. heimue
13. hrcollinsjr
14. jmbinjax
15. kevinfier
16. newman27
17. Ooooner
18. opeljohn
19. opelspyder "The Ultra Extreme Custom Restorer and mother of the original Spyder"
20. saxybiker (Canceled) :sigh:
21. thescifiguy
22. Wrench459

P.S. Will try to update this list as people post.

#59 ·
1. 06Charger
2. 72fireglow
3. Bill Hoffman
4. BQS4 (Gene)
5. Country Jim
6. Crliwa
7. dcm013
8. edwinopel
9. Gil Wesson
10. Guyopel
11. haloeffec
12. heimue
13. hrcollinsjr
14. jmbinjax
15. kevinfier
16. newman27
17. Ooooner
18. opeljohn
19. opelspyder "The Ultra Extreme Custom Restorer and mother of the original Spyder"
20. saxybiker (Canceled) :sigh:
21. thescifiguy
22. Wrench459

P.S. Will try to update this list as people post.

If anyone still needs a room... I just cancelled mine about 5 minutes ago.

We are extremely disappointed. We had planned to start driving Thursday afternoon when I got home from school to make it a good part of the way down. I got my school schedule yesterday and found out I have parent teacher conferences that Thursday night and I will not even get home until after 9 pm. :(

#24 ·
I just booked my room. I was given a rate of $95 - he said the standard rate is $144 for that time of year. The direct phone number to call is 706-745-6844. Don't let them transfer you to the "reservation desk" because that will get you to a national reservation center which will not show our room block.

See y'all in Blairsville in October if not Springfield in September or Volo on Saturday.

Bill

#27 · (Edited)
Yous Guys!

Yeah, I'm talking to y'all north of the Mason Dixon line. You coming down for a good time in Oct????? If you plan on it, and we hope you do, you really need to make reservations SOON! If you're worried about visiting the South, I think we're probably going to be issuing some tips and guidelines to help you feel more comfortable down here. :D

:yell: COME ONE :yell: COME ALL!!!!!

Harold

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.