Opel GT Forum banner
301 - 306 of 306 Posts

2,047 Posts
Tom
I saw your post and wanted to put together some numbers before I posted on your Questions.
First off I agree with Charles on some things but not all.
Yes you should do this in another thread, the one Gary did on "How many Opel Nationals have you attended" comes to mind.
Yes it would be a good Idea to get your event up and running before you do a National. Most of the places that have done a National were doing an Opel event for 5 years or more before the Nationals were held. The Georgia Group put one together on short notice and could give you a heads up on how that worked. Like Charles I am waiting to see how 2015 goes.

Now for some numbers. In my experience it is a small number of our people that will travel more than one day to attend an event. By that I mean maybe 500 miles or about 8 hours. For the Opel Nationals that number might go up to 12-15 people. Most who attend what I consider a Regional event are going to be coming from closer to 350 mi.

Distance From
Springfield MO, to Carlisle PA,----------990 Mi.
Springfield MO, to Springfield IL,-------312 Mi.
Springfield IL, to Charlotte NC,----------840 Mi.

Springfield IL and Charlotte NC are held within a few weeks of each other in the fall but have very little overlap. I can think of maybe a half dozen folks who are faced with a choice when one or the other hosts the Nationals. The distance between a west MO, and an east PA, event is such I see little real competition for attendees. My feeling is you can tap into points south and west of your event with good promotion. Yes Carlisle is the Big Dog but there are limits to it's reach.

Here's what I looked at before asking people to attend an event in the Springfield Area.
Would it be worth someone driving for up to 8 hours even if less than 15 Opels made it.
Is there good access to the area.
What kind of weather will folks need to travel in. I.E. no AC in most Opels.
Where will we stay overnight and can we have a meeting room for bench racing.

It takes time and effort to get a good event going but after awhile it gains it's own momentum.

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
8,003 Posts
Tom
I saw your post and wanted to put together some numbers before I posted on your Questions.
First off I agree with Charles on some things but not all.
Yes you should do this in another thread, the one Gary did on "How many Opel Nationals have you attended" comes to mind.
Yes it would be a good Idea to get your event up and running before you do a National. Most of the places that have done a National were doing an Opel event for 5 years or more before the Nationals were held. The Georgia Group put one together on short notice and could give you a heads up on how that worked. Like Charles I am waiting to see how 2015 goes.

Now for some numbers. In my experience it is a small number of our people that will travel more than one day to attend an event. By that I mean maybe 500 miles or about 8 hours. For the Opel Nationals that number might go up to 12-15 people. Most who attend what I consider a Regional event are going to be coming from closer to 350 mi.

Distance From
Springfield MO, to Carlisle PA,----------990 Mi.
Springfield MO, to Springfield IL,-------312 Mi.
Springfield IL, to Charlotte NC,----------840 Mi.

Springfield IL and Charlotte NC are held within a few weeks of each other in the fall but have very little overlap. I can think of maybe a half dozen folks who are faced with a choice when one or the other hosts the Nationals. The distance between a west MO, and an east PA, event is such I see little real competition for attendees. My feeling is you can tap into points south and west of your event with good promotion. Yes Carlisle is the Big Dog but there are limits to it's reach.

Here's what I looked at before asking people to attend an event in the Springfield Area.
Would it be worth someone driving for up to 8 hours even if less than 15 Opels made it.
Is there good access to the area.
What kind of weather will folks need to travel in. I.E. no AC in most Opels.
Where will we stay overnight and can we have a meeting room for bench racing.

It takes time and effort to get a good event going but after awhile it gains it's own momentum.
All John says are very true..

You are probably far enough a way to not have that much influence from Carlisle. That said, chatter about Carlisle and your meet could hurt your meet, but it could also help it.

To be honest, your in that perfect center of the midwest, south and texas.. that it could work even with a date in close proximity to Carlisle.

That said, you will be relying heavily on locals for the meet as John said. He is right..

I figured it out a while ago..

Draw a circle of 150 miles that's the main crowd.. those that come the day of the meet.

Draw a circle of 300-600 miles that's the Friday crowd.. your regulars if you will.

Charlotte = Atlanta to Richmond to Tennesse
Carlisle = Carolina to Ohio to Mass
Springfield = Missouri to Wisconsin to Western OH / Tenn

Draw a circle of 600.. LONG time Opelers will come without a doubt

Carlisle = GA / WI
Springfield = OH / MN
Charlotte = PA / IL

Draw a circle of 900 and a FEW hardcore LONG time Opelers will come..

Carlisle range : Iowa / GA
Charlotte : Mass
Springfield : Mass / VA (Hmmm who do we know in Mass..?)

Outside of 900 your looking at a few special guests and most wont be driving.

SO..... Where does that put Branson..?

450 range

South = Lousiana
West = OK
North = Iowa/IL
East = TN

600 range

South = Texas
West = Colorado (Used to be a big club in Colorado)
North = MN
East = GA / NC

900 range =

South = Texas
West = CO/NM
North = MN
East = VA / PA / OH

To be honest.. I think it looks good.. Your still just close enough to get some Longtime Opelers to do it.. and you are just close enough for Oklahoma and Colorado and Texas

OK/TX/CO are important because back in the day, for whatever reason they were pretty big Opel areas.

RMOpels still has a yahoogroup, Rodney Killingsworth and his group are still around, and I don't know the OK guys.. but remember seeing pictures of big opel meets in the 80s and 90s there.

So I guess what I am saying, is if you look at it and push the CO/OK/TX angle and get good buy in from those people.. I may even skip Carlisle to see a bunch of new Opelers and cars :) but don't think many others would.. but you won't need the small smattering of east coasters to make it a great national.

Long story short.. start a meet, and get it consistent.. and you may be very surprised and ask yourself a few years later.. What did I get myself into...????? :haha:

1,100 Posts
Great looking event, congrats to John, Connie and all those fine Opelers. Will try to get back next year if I can.

Jim

2,047 Posts
2014 Route 66 Mother Road Festival

One last post and we can let this thread go. For those of you who may be able to make it to Springfield next year the event dates are September 26-28 2014. That would be the week after the Nationals at Charlotte NC. If it comes down to one or the other I would advise going to Charlotte. Hope to see a lot of you at an Opel event somewhere next year.
John Dickerson

3,719 Posts
I just found small note that somebody put in my glove box that my Opel was photographed during parade lap on Friday by the professional photographer from Photosports USA. When I searched their website, I found bunch of pictures of our Opels. Check the site PhotoSports USA , click "Photos"/ "2013 Albums" / "Route 66 Mother Road Festival". Our photos are in the group 14 and 15 but there might be more in other groups, you will have to explore.
You can download low resolution free, or pay for high resolution.

301 - 306 of 306 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.