Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for posting car shows in the Northeast/Tri-Stater/etc.

Collingswood Mayfair 2018 - Saturday May 26th - This, my home town car show and town fair, generally kicks off the car show and town fair season in this area. It will have about 20 bands, Ferris wheel/kids rides/art and brickabrack vendors. I'll be there!

May Fair Collingswood, New Jersey will be bursting with art, music and activities for all ages on Saturday, May 26, 2018 as Collingswood Partners hosts the 39th Annual May Fair

http://cms6.revize.com/revize/colli...and_events/docs/May Fair Flyer Color 2018.pdf

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes! The bike is the only thing I will bring this year. Das Boot and the Baby Baron will stay home.

I will have to drive 2 blocks to get to the show, then walk 2 blocks home, and come riding back 2 blocks on my bicycle.

Hmmmm.......it is only 2 blocks.........maybe I save gas and walking by towing the GTX behind the bicycle to the show. Only one trip! :banana:

:lmao:

· Ron in FL
3,633 Posts
Local car shows rock! :drive:
You never know what kind of stuff might be hiding around the block.
What's the story on the Bertone?
Cheers,
Ron in Indy

· Registered
1,282 Posts
All I was told about it was what you can read in this wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_X1/9

Bertone designed the Fiat X1/9, when Fiat stopped making them, Bertone continued the production with their own name on the car. This car is one of the latter.
Actually, Fiat did not stop making them because they never made them in the first place -- production was always in the hands of Bertone and Fiat marketed them
badged as Fiats. In 1982, Fiat quit the US market, but Bertone wanted to persevere and chose to market the X1/9 under its own name.

In 1974, I was working for Fiat Roosevelt Motors, the Fiat-owned American importer for the Fiat line. The X1/9 had been out for about two years, but replacement parts, especially body panels, were incredibly expensive, so much so that it appeared Fiat was trying to recover its tooling costs more quickly than normal. As I recall, the cost to the dealer for that little cover over the engine amounted to almost 20% of the entire car as it sat in the showroom. This, in turn, made the car nearly impossible to insure, putting downward pressure on sales.

The entire Fiat line was considered to be highly unreliable (Fix It Again Tony) and one could expect to find a car rusting on the showroom floor. As reported by Wikipedia, Fiat sales went from about 100,000 units in 1972 to 14,000 units ten years later.

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
:no: nope they were already rusting in the sales brochure :yup: as also other South European cars
I bought a 4 year old Fiat 850 Sport Spyder for $300 back on the early 1970's. Had to wedge a jack under the seat to hold the seat up when i drove it home. Replaced that floor panel and other bits and 6 months later rust broke through all around the areas I fixed. Word was when they were shipped over, some were on the deck exposed to salt water... Mine must have been one of them as the metal came off in chunks.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I remember circa 1975 a room mate buying a new 124. On paper it made my Manta look sad. He took us for a ride. Winding out the twin cam motor left us impressed. About 45 minutes into the ride, the head gasket blew. Maybe 200 miles on the odometer.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
I bought a 4 year old Fiat 850 Sport Spyder for $300 back on the early 1970's. Had to wedge a jack under the seat to hold the seat up when i drove it home. Replaced that floor panel and other bits and 6 months later rust broke through all around the areas I fixed. Word was when they were shipped over, some were on the deck exposed to salt water... Mine must have been one of them as the metal came off in chunks.
I had the same issue with an early '70s Audi 100LS. Floor opened up and the front of the driver's seat dropped about five inches. When I worked at Fiat Roosevelt, they had a number of Fiat 128s literally fall off the ship[ into Newark (NJ) harbor. The company made them available to its employees for something like $500 each.

· Administrator
10,419 Posts
Hey Gary, I see in your posts' signature area that it says that your FI Wagon gets 13.1 mpg!

Wassup with that?

:thinking:
Fuelly is the tracking program. 13.1 MPG is for the 24v 6 cylinder when I first ran it around town.

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After spending all week doing a roof tear-off of my porch/sunroom and the last few weekends being rainy, I needed a breaK and a nice car show where I could sit all day and do nothing. Plus, today it's supposed to rain at 2pm.

I got a flyer at my big home town car show for another car show in town for some high school or whatever charity. It got cancelled last weekend due to rain. I was expecting a 25 car show. I think only 10 cars and 5 bikes showed up. 20 trophies.

It was a nice mellow day parked in the shade next to a building and they gave the trophies out after only 3 hours. Here's some of the highlights:

This was the coolest car you could own when I graduated high school:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Convertible

More....

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Classic Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Custom car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Asphalt
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

I had some pretty stiff competition from this tuner Lexus and this rusty Beetle:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Rim
Blue Motor vehicle Vehicle door Vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

Which motorcycle do you think won?

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Chopper
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Motorcycle

I won a power washer with $8 worth of raffle tickets and, gee, whadaya know, I won the foreign car class:

Green Tree Grass Plant community Plant
Tool Gauge Measuring instrument

I have no need for a power washer, but it will come in handy when I start redoing the Wagon. I'll blast the engine compartment and the whole interior to get rid of the mice and musty smell.

:veryhappy

4,243 Posts

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went to a little car show for a religious charity called Chariots of Fire today. They're the ones who give out the actual engine piston trophies I've shown before. Hot day, 86* with high humidity. Tomorrow will be in the 90's. No thanks. Monday or Tuesday is supposed to set a record darn near 100*. I'll be inside in the A/C if anyone needs me.....

I actually got 2 prizes and one gift! A guy came walking up to me and gave me a 60's era Opel patch he got in a batch of patches he got at a yard sale. I also won a "theft deterrent system" in a raffle: A billy club. And they tossed me a "Thanks for coming!" trophy, too.

Trophy Award Pedestal Plant Sculpture
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Classic car

17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
German/American Car Show

Here's a car show 2 weeks from now near Trenton, NJ that is sponsored by the Donauschwaben German club:

http://trentondonauschwaben.com/uploads/3/4/0/2/34027328/carshow_flyer_2018.pdf

Unfortunately, I will probably go to this car show near my house:

www.merchantvillecarshow.com

This show used to kick off the car show season around the time of Carlisle and it got so popular that the last time they had it(3 years ago) it drew 1200 cars! The show closed down every street in town and you could literally walk for 2-3 miles down various roads with show cars parked solid the whole way.

So they cancelled the event.

But, it appears that it has been reborn! Note that in the flyer the show has been limited to 400 cars and you can start showing up a full 1.5 hours before the event.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.