Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Wow! What a great car show day I had today!

It's been a nasty Summer with way too much heat and humidity, unpredictable rain(hence, a lot of cancelled car shows), a two month emergency rebuild of my sun room,and a condition in my right wrist that's making me opt for early retirement......I needed a good day.

:sigh:

Spur of the moment, I found a car show near me at a German club in PA(called Cannstatter Volks Verein), that I had been to before, trophied, and had a good time at. Zoooom! Off I go, totally rocking out to German metal blasting in my car stereo! Lots of chances of rain today, there was rain in the morning and big rain forecast for the afternoon, but a nice window during the car show with none! Woop! Woop! I terrorized the interstate, rocket launched across the Betsy Ross bridge, annihilated another interstate, and respectfully and calmly pulled in to the German club.

:banana:

They parked me right in front of the trophies and music guy! They had a 6-footer for Best of Show! Imagine taking one of those babies home in your GT!

The music was loud and I walked over to the beer pavilion. Oh.......did I forget to mention that the German club holds regular beer and brat fests at all their events? Gee, how did I forget to mention that?

I order a Warfsteiner dark beer in a crappy cup. Then I see on the wall a poster that says "Hofbrau Das Boot $8.99" and a cool plastic boot cup hanging on a long strap! Holy Cow, I gotta have that! The guy pours my crappy cup of beer into the boot and tops it off with more beer! Woo-hoo!

I got to walk around the car show with a plastic boot full of dark beer hanging from my neck! Woo-hoo!

I drank a bunch of them and am typing this bombed off my azz!

It started to rain just as trophies were given out, I got me a 2.5 footer, and I split the show immediately(I did pick up a bunch of membership and event flyers from the club, I like that place!). I rocked out, terrorized, rocket launched, and annihilated my way home through the rain. It was awesome!

View attachment 374181 Metal
Flag Sky Cloud Cumulus Wind
View attachment 374187 Motor vehicle Red Vehicle Car Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Red Custom car

17,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I thought the best car at the show was an otherwise relatively boring 1954 Ford Crestliner special "Skyliner" edition with a factory see-through hood and a massive sunroof. Apparently, in order to debut the new overhead valve successor to to the flathead engine, Ford issued special hoods to dealerships that would show off the new engine. They were never meant to be sold to the public and all 107 that were made were supposed to be destroyed. This car still had the special hood.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Windshield Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Engine
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Auto part

It also had this bizarre little widget on the dash board:

Auto part Vehicle Car Rim Headlamp
View attachment 374229

This car had one of those huge cowls coming off the roof that forms a sun visor sort of thing. They stick out so far that you can't see the traffic signal if you're stuck at a light, so they sold that little glass and chrome thing to catch the changing color of the light, so you know when it's okay to go.

17,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm trying like heck to get my money's worth out of my time, money, and labor!

Here's one more item of interest from the Crestliner car. This is the car's oem original windshield washer fluid "bag":

Trunk Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Holy cow. Who would have thought they would invent an air tight bag for the washer fluid before just using a bottle?

:thinking:

17,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I went to a rare, late afternoon/early evening, car show with trophies(unlike a Cruise-in, which don't normally charge admission and give awards). It was also a big food truck festival and beer garden thing, plus crafters and live music. It was in the upincoming university town of Glassboro, NJ, where Rowan University is growing rapidly. The downtown is all nice and new and fixed up with dorms and University buildings. I was hoping that it would be infested with high energy, mentally active, bright-eyed, college kids(ie. hot chicks) and I wasn't disappointed. Two cars down from me, I met an old co-worker who I never knew was a car buff with his 1.2 powered VW Karmann Ghia. We had enormous fun regaling group after group of onlookers with my ball busts of his car's lack of power and 1" exhaust pipes. He had great good-natured comebacks for all of my humorous observances of his car's low power nuances. The food trucks were yummy and I drank all the beer I brought. This Labor Day weekend was chock full of car shows with at least 10 of them within 30 minutes of my house, but the forecast was for rain on all 3 of the long weekend's days(all of which got postponed), but this one was rain or shine and a break in the pocket storms we've had all Summer let the show go one. Alas, they took way too long to judge the cars and the trophies went out at 9pm(I got nuthin'), just in time for major rain to hit and flock up everyone's cars.

I never stopped talking to folks and had a great time. They parked me next to a 2005 Lotus Elise, a really red SSR, a seriously ugly Packard, and my buddy's VW. When I walked by the turd-colored Packard, I noticed that the engine compartment looked empty. I looked closer and it appeared that the engine didn't have a cylinder head. It was a "flat head" engine. Holy cow, the whole top of the engine was one enormous 3 foot long 1" thick hunk of plate steel!

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Opel gt

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.