Opel GT Forum banner

Will you be attending the East Coast 50th Anniversary Opel GT Show?

• Attending without an Opel

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Awards!

Thank you to all who made the trip to the Fall AutoFair. Those who won awards:

Best In Show: Keith Lundholm
1st Place: John Bartnick (Sp)
2nd Place: John Rickelton
Most Unique: Dieter Graf von Mainberg
Best Opel GT: Laurie and Floyd Schwartz
Peoples Choice: Sheila Collins
Best Paint: Keith Lundholm
Furtherest Driven: PJ Romano (850 miles one way from Canada)

If I misspelled any names, please correct me.

So many great Opel's at the show. It was very hard to decide. Some of the Carolina Opel Club members decided on the awards.

Pictures should be posted later.

· Registered
9 Posts
2018 Fall Autofair

Roy, as usual, thank you for making this possible. It was nice seeing so many of you that I had not seen in awhile. It is special that many of you drove from so far. Too bad it wasn’t a little hotter. I think my friend was ready to pass out. I hope to hook up with you all again! Mark

3,719 Posts
Back home after 2656 km (1650 miles) through Ontario, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, North Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York. I left last Thursday, one day later than planned as my wife Katarina decided to stay home and take care of our beloved cat Nelson who fell sick. Nelson is much better now and delighted to see me back. The veterinarian bill was 847 dollars but Nelson is worth it.
I left Goderich after 8 am only hoping to avoid morning rush hour on the way to the border. Still, it took 45 minutes to cross the border at Port Huron (MI) as they opened only three boots on US side for hundreds of cars. Further in Toledo two of three lanes on I-75 were closed, causing miles and miles of traffic back-up. Not fun when you have to press the clutch and engage first gear hundreds of times, moving foot by foot. It took me more than hour to pass through.

The weather was hot, reaching 35C (95F) but the A/C made the drive comfortable. In Ohio black Camaro started to drive alongside the GT, revving the engine and trying to provoke me race him. Yeah right, that was all I needed on this trip. He eventually left the interstate and disappeared. Traffic was slow through Columbus which added to lost time. Due to slow progress I made an overnight stop in Charleston WV. Cold Yuengling and ribs at Buffalo Wild Wings sport bar were excellent. The GT attracted a lot of attention. An overnight receptionist at the hotel declared that she will personally keep an eye on the car and chase away any shady individuals. And she did, thank you Ann.

I arrived to Charlotte the next day and found Roy in the hotel lobby waiting for Opelers with detailed program of event, T-shirts and daily passes. I always liked how in Charlotte we act as a group rather than bunch of individuals. We went to the show together and roaring Opels made many heads to turn. I was again impressed with Charlotte Motor Speedway complex. It is much larger than it looks on TV. We spent the day the usual way, talking to visitors, sharing Opel stories and checking other cars. We reminisce tragic event in Tina's and Rally Bob's life and sent them our thoughts and prayers.

The weather changed rapidly on the way home. As soon as I crossed North Carolina border, the temperature dropped and it started to rain. I was pleased to have working heater that kept the car warm and the windshield clear from fogging. By the way, I couldn’t believe the number of speed traps through Virginia. They didn’t get me but it was depressing to spot so many hidden cops just waiting to fine you. Virginia is beautiful and driving through the mountains is so much nicer than driving through flat Ontario with miles of corn fields but why are the cops so mean there?

Torrential rain around Pittsburgh caused a lot of accidents. As the GT was more floating than driving on the water covered road, I decided to make an overnight stop. After repeatedly indulging in southern barbeque at Charlotte, I had brick oven pizza at TC Tap and Table and it was great. I had Yuengling, too, thank you for asking. The stopover actually allowed me to watch the final of US Open in tennis. My ex-countryman Novak Djokovic won and took his 14th Grand Slam title and $3.8M of pocket money.

Crossed the border at Buffalo after stopping at duty free shop for a bottle of my favourite Jameson whiskey. The officer at the Canadian border was young and never heard of Opel but he was courteous and we had nice chat. Cruised last three hours to home at high speed.

The GT is dirty after long trip but not tired. It performed flawlessly through the heat, rain, steep climbs and traffic jams. At 10 lit/100 km (23.5 mpg) the average fuel consumption was somewhat higher due to use of A/C, mountain roads and traffic.
Hats-off my steel friend, another road trip is behind us.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Spelling errors corrected

Some names were misspelled. (I never won a spelling Bee in school)

Here is the corrected award list... Thanks to Dieter for pointing the errors out...

Best In Show: Keith Lundholm
1st Place: John Bartnick
2nd Place: John Rickelton
Most Unique: Dieter Graf von Mainberg
Best Opel GT: Laurie and Floyd Schwartz
Peoples Choice: Sheila Collins
Best Paint: Keith Lundholm
Furtherest Driven: PJ Romano (850 miles one way from Canada)

· Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,822 Posts
Thank you to Roy Spell (ahem, I mean Bell) to host this every year - kudos to you from the whole Opel group!

I copied a picture from the Winner's Circle from the official photographer (who wants to sell his pictures), but as I've seen we should have our own pics and videos from this. Any links out there on YouTube?

Dieter

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.