Opel GT Forum banner

Would you consider going to the GT 50th Anniversary?

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Hello. My name is Tim and I live in Lawrence, KS. I plan on driving out to Durango to meet up with the Opel group. I'd be interested in driving with others if they are in the Kansas area on 30 April, when I intend to depart Lawrence. I don't want to get out on I-70 so plan to use secondary roads and overnight in La Junta, CO. I'll cruise into Durango on Tuesday evening.

· Registered
4,183 Posts
Looking at the long range weather forecast, it looks like warm temperatures through next week in Jean, NV, 80s to 90 daytime, mid-60's at night. A little cooler in Tuba City, upper 70s to low 80s daytime, mid 40s to low 50s at night. Durango is colder, low 70's daytime, mid 30's at night. Skies all clear.

· Master Story Teller & Fabricator
17,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 · (Edited)
It's been in the 40's and 50's here in Jersey. It should be in the 60's-70's. It'll be in around 60* when I leave on Monday, so nice cool temps with no need to touch the temperature controls. I figure the coldest will be when I pass through OH/IN/Missouri, then I'll end up 10 miles from Mexico in NM where it will probably be 100*. I'll do the Tour until the Canyon, then drive up the PCH to Washington State where I'll freeze my azz off, then Idaho/Montana/Colorado/Kansas and back to Jersey. T-shirts and suntan lotion, heavy coats and mittens, and jeans.

This is something like what my route will look like:

White Map Line Line art Slope

:veryhappy

· Registered
4,183 Posts
It's been in the 40's and 50's here in Jersey. It should be in the 60's-70's. It'll be in around 60* when I leave on Monday, so nice cool temps with no need to touch the temperature controls. I figure the coldest will be when I pass through OH/IN/Missouri, then I'll end up 10 miles from Mexico in NM where it will probably be 100*. I'll do the Tour until the Canyon, then drive up the PCH to Washington State where I'll freeze my azz off, then Idaho/Montana/Colorado/Kansas and back to Jersey. T-shirts and suntan lotion, heavy coats and mittens, and jeans.

View attachment 361274

You'll be passing within a few miles of Team Tinyvette World Headquarters. Sorry I won't be there.

· Registered
2,631 Posts

View attachment 361274

Actually Gordo, it is supposed to be mid 80s in Lordsburg, NM (about 20 miles from the AZ border) so not too bad! On the other hand mid 90's are forecast for Phoenix so it is warming up (but still cool for the "natives" here). Come back in August when the water in my pool is hotter than that! The attached pic is what it looked like 5 minutes ago! (The tree is a Palo Verde, the mountains are the Four Peaks - local landmark.)

Remember, slow down and smell the Palo Verde trees! -- Doug

Attachments

· Registered
4,183 Posts
The Northern California folks will be trying to meet up with Gil and LT in Fresno on Thursday, 11-noon. (I'll get the exact location soon.) From there we'll caravan to Jean, NV.

Kurt is bringing is big ass expedition camper, which will be our hotel for the tour, and we just decided to use it to tow the Tinyvette to Jean. Gotta save the butt for the tour.

· Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
1996 Opel Calibra
7,929 Posts
I will not participate at the 50th Anniversary Tour but in the spirit of such important event, I ordered these polo shirts. They arrived yesterday, so will wear them in Carlisle. :veryhappy
Ill be there Saturday ( flying in ) and leaving Sunday.. No vacation days.

But will be there with a few bottles of Hardywoor Burbon Barrel Belgian Cru to share :)

1973 Opel GT
3,924 Posts
Why not hire a car shipping company?

If this helps, we've used Nationwide United before. We were very happy with their service. Communication from our driver was great. They have good reviews online, Google, Transport Reviews, Yelp etc. Just a recommendation ?
This happened two years ago. The need is already passed.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.