Opel GT Forum banner

Would you consider going to the GT 50th Anniversary?

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Gordon, try the Hoover Dam Lodge. We have our AMC car show there every year and rates usually around $80 per night. Outside of Vegas so no hassles with traffic, decent restaurant and great hiking trail (on old train route) to Hoover Dam. Would have been perfect choice for the Opel meet. If I overnight that's probably where I'll stay.

· Registered
4,183 Posts
Gil and Rich are putting together a booklet for this event. In it is a page where they explain why they chose this particular hotel. See the attachment.

The Orleans is not right on the strip, which helps with cost, and it has a large parking lot, which is what Gil wanted most. We can hold the show, The Nationals, in that lot and people can leave tow rigs there while we are out on the tour.

The cost of hotels will be an issue for me. I may be traveling alone, possibly with a companion, possibly even with a truck and camper following us. We'll see, but I too will be trying to balance cost with being able to participate in all of the group activities, such as dinner.

Mike

Attachments

· Registered
4,183 Posts

· Registered
2,631 Posts

· Registered
660 Posts
Would it be better to bring a tried and true Kadett? Or an abandoned GT that hasn't been driven in at least 25 years? I think all it really needs is some glass, brakes, and a fuel tank.

Attachments

· Registered
660 Posts
I know the Kadett is the sensible choice, but since it IS "all about the GT", wouldn't it be cool to get one back on the road that hasn't been driven for 25 years? I would probably offer it for sale at the end of the trip and hopefully fly home. :)

· Registered
1,494 Posts
Red's Kadett is a twin to one I bought solely for the transmission somewhere around 1978. It's the transmission that's still in my GT (for the time being anyway... T5 on the way). I gave the Kadett (and my old tranny) to the guy who installed the Kadett's tranny into my GT for me in exchange for his installation labor.

· Registered
660 Posts
I probably can't carve out the time to do the WHOLE trip, would it be better to show up for the festivities at the beginning of the event or end of the event?

· Registered
88 Posts
I believe the Opel Nationals festivities/show will be held in Las Vegas the 28th before the start of the road trip. I wanted to participate in the whole trip but can't take all week off. My plan is to drive from San Francisco to Vegas Friday and will have to turn back about halfway through the trip. I might split off on the drive from Tuba City to Durango and go to Monument Valley by myself and then turn back towards home.

· Opeler
896 Posts
I've been giving this some thought, and I like some of the ideas expressed here so far. My proposal for anyone interested that might want to come along is to follow the "Route 66" route and arrive in Las Vegas by Friday. This does not add much distance actually. I would like to take about five days to do this so there will be time to see some things along the way, and I haven't decided on the stops yet. I understand Saturday will be a car show of sorts, and the kickoff dinner is Saturday night. We would join the group's itinerary as far as Durango or Silverton, and on Thursday depart for home rather than going back to Las Vegas. My return would be through Denver and the relatively boring but direct and fast I80 route back, which would have us home on the weekend.

This is an almost two week endeavor and I would like to start making reservations, so some additional details about places to stay along the GART route would be appreciated if anyone has them.

Bill

Attachments

3,719 Posts
I've been giving this some thought, and I like some of the ideas expressed here so far. My proposal for anyone interested that might want to come along is to follow the "Route 66" route and arrive in Las Vegas by Friday. This does not add much distance actually. I would like to take about five days to do this so there will be time to see some things along the way, and I haven't decided on the stops yet. I understand Saturday will be a car show of sorts, and the kickoff dinner is Saturday night. We would join the group's itinerary as far as Durango or Silverton, and on Thursday depart for home rather than going back to Las Vegas. My return would be through Denver and the relatively boring but direct and fast I80 route back, which would have us home on the weekend.

This is an almost two week endeavor and I would like to start making reservations, so some additional details about places to stay along the GART route would be appreciated if anyone has them.

Bill
I am also preparing and my possible itinerary is almost identical to yours, so if I go, I could join you somewhere around Chicago. Which car are you taking? Note, I will be towing my GT to Denver, so my speed will likely not be more than 65 mph.

I would also leave the cruise portion in Silverton and drive back to Denver to load my GT on the trailer again and drive another three days home.
On that subject, I exchanged following email with Gil:

Hi Gil,
I am not sure if you are following thread on the Forum related to the 50th Anniversary tour.
It appears that East Coast participants will not be too eager to drive back to Las Vegas after reaching the most eastern point of the tour, which is Silverton, CO. Indeed, there is no sense driving from there back to LV 600 miles just to return the same way few days later. So, some will leave after Silverton. Unfortunately, that will mean that they will miss to see Monument Valley in UT which is scheduled on the way back to LV.
Here are some suggestions for you to consider and possibly include in the Tour schedule:
1. Tuesday May: 1 Tuba City – Durango 235 miles CHANGE TO: Tuba City – Monument Valley – Durango 263 miles
2. Organize farewell dinner in Silverton while everybody is still together

Hi PJ,
You are correct.
We have a East Coast route plan that takes them on the northern route into Vegas, and then they will join all the way until after Durango.
It's all been planned out and will be in the event booklet coming very soon as a PDF download.

Saying all this, I am still not sure if I will go. My wife is not too eager to spend two weeks on the road, I cannot blame her. I would tow my GT to Denver but that would still mean that I will put 1850 miles with my GT. Then, there is cost of $3,000 (3,750 CDN). Finally, I will likely have to skip Carlisle which is just a few weeks later.

Attachments

· Opel Adventure # 77 NC
682 Posts
I am also in the planning stage, and would like to meet up at some point. My wife Chris will be flying to Vegas on Saturday and flying home on the 6th of May. So we will be doing the full drive. Depending on snow in the Rockies, I would like to return through Denver.
Kevin

· Opeler
896 Posts
PJ, I like your suggested change to the GART route. It would be nice to make the Monument Valley portion. I'll have to see the proposed Easterner route, but the return through Denver is still most likely in any case. Barring some miracle inspiration, I will be driving the Manta, as it has a 5-speed, as opposed to the GT, which is half in primer and on blocks now. Kerri is planning on flying out to join me on the GART portion of the trip, if not the entire return.

Bill

· Pathologic Opeler
1,956 Posts
air capital ope club from Wichita

Bill
We can meet you in oklahoma city? I dont know if I make the kick off in LV or catch you in tuba city
just some thoughts

Dean

Attachments

141 - 160 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.