Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The 2019 Opel Nationals will be held October 17th thru the 19th at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina. The show in conjunction with the Fall AutoFair.

Charlotte AutoFair - The Largest Collector Vehicle Event in the Southeast!

This will be the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Opel GT!

The actual show date is Saturday, October 19th. No Sunday show. The Saturday show will run longer and the overall AutoFair awards will be held under the lights in the NASCAR winners circle!

A lot of planning has already been done behind the scenes with the speedway officials. Things could change but as of right now, we will be located beside the "Showcase Pavilion" where really cool cars are shown at each AutoFair. This is notable because it looks like we may be invited to show 4 or 5 of out best Opel's inside the Showcase Pavilion. I would like to see an excellent example of a GT (preferably a 1969), Kadet, Manta, etc.

Hotel information will be coming very soon. There will be a club "rate". If you have any suggestions on hotels, please post on here. We usually had been staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I believe they just upgraded their rooms a few months ago.

Also in the works: A band will play at either our location inside the speedway during the day or at our hotel on the evening of the 19th. Three of the guys will play for us and believe me, just the three of them are good.

The Part-Time Blues Band

Hopefully, we can have one of the best Opel Nationals to date! More info to come soon!

Suggestions are welcome!

·
Opel Key Master
5,289 Posts
The moving of the date to October has really thrown a wrench into my plans. I don’t know that I am going to be able to come during that time. What was the deciding factor of them moving the dates? Car show competition from Pigeon Forge?

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason it was moved was mainly due to the heat inside the racetrack. As some of you know, the heat at the Fall Autofair during September was brutal. People complained a lot about the heat at the AutoFair officials. The officials decided to give it a try. Everyone seemed to be very happy about the move. Also, there is a propensity for hurricanes, which has interrupted the Fall show a few times in years past. Hope you can work it in to your schedule!

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
Just a shout out and thanks to Roy for taking the 9 hour round trip to get the Kadett and GordOpel bicycle and my signs and other stuff for the Nationals Display.

Look forward to seeing it all together next weekend :)

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Less than two weeks to the 2019 Opel Nationals! I have three open spots left if you have been hedging on coming or not. I personally bought 5 extra spots, figuring there would be a few that would decide to come after the deadline passed. I didn't want to leave anyone out that wants to participate. Sure enough, I've had two call and wondered if they could still get in. :arms:

If you have any questions, please be sure to ask...

Roy

·
Registered
11 Posts
2019 Nationals Schedule

Roy,

What is the Thursday and Friday activity schedule? Do we take our cars over to the show field, leave them at the motel and go shopping or what? I'm just trying to plan for the other days.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the Thursday and Friday activity schedule? Do we take our cars over to the show field, leave them at the motel and go shopping or what? I'm just trying to plan for the other days.

Thanks
Thanks for asking! I was going to post something this evening or tomorrow but since you asked.... :beerchug:

Thursday schedule is a day for you to just enjoy the vendors and/or go shopping. It will take you all day and probably another day if you wanted to walk the entire vendor field. The Concord Mills Mall is right across the Interstate from the hotel. Tons of restaurants... I do not have any passes for the Speedway for Thursday so you would have to pay, I think, $10 to get in. If you have a car in the Showcase Pavilion, you will have been given credentials for the whole show, including Thursday. You won't have to pay anything on Thursday. Thursday evening, we will just figure out what we want to do for dinner.

Friday is a day to take your Opel over to the Speedway and just enjoy everything. You will be able to park your Opel where the Nationals will be on Saturday. I will give you passes and a windshield sticker to get yourself, a friend and your car onto the show field. We are thinking about having the auction Friday evening around 7 to 7:30. Saturday's events will be be pushing the schedule real tight if we tried to have the auction on Saturday.

Saturday is the Opel Nationals show day! We, as a group, will be leaving the Hilton Garden Inn hotel no later than 7 AM. We have to be in our area, parked and ready to go at the Speedway as the gates open to the public at 8 AM. Our awards will be at 2 PM. The "Best Of Show" winner from our club will represent us in a lineup near pit road at 3 PM. Judges will be walking the line at 4 PM. The BIG awards ceremony for the 2019 AutoFair will be held at 6 PM. Our winner will go through winners circle with a celebrity announcing the owner as well as specifics about your car. Really a great experience even if you don't win an award. Opel's have won a few awards over the years. After the show, back at the hotel, there is a restaurant with pretty good food and a bar to get drinks. As you're eating or just getting smashed, we are having a band play from 8 to 11.

As you get to the speedway or hotel, give me a call so I can get your passes to you and a "goody" bag. I'll be around all week. My cell is: (704( 661-3666.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Oh, gee, the schedule appears to be too tight for me to make it comfortably or enjoyably. It's starting to be crunch time at the Post Office and I can't take Friday off, so I was going to drive my SolstOpel part of the 10 hour drive down after work Friday late-afternoon/early-evening, then drive the rest of the way to the showfield Saturday morning. No rezzies at any hotels and weather and my energy/enthusiasm level permitting.

Oh well, at least my bike made the show.

I hereby enter it in the Best Opel "Other" category, co-owned by Charlie and I. We can't let Gary just waltz in and waltz out with another Other trophy just 'cuz his grampa buggy is old. Our bike is OLDER!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Administrator
10,257 Posts
...Oh well, at least my bike made the show.

I hereby enter it in the Best Opel "Other" category, co-owned by Charlie and I. We can't let Gary just waltz in and waltz out with another Other trophy just 'cuz his grampa buggy is old. Our bike is OLDER!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
OK. One lap around the track for the win! We could also do the "Roval"!

·
Super Moderator
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Getting the Showcase Pavilion Set Up!

The first four Opel's in place... Four more tomorrow. This place will be completely transformed into something special. Lights and ropes will go up Wednesday afternoon. My other half, Yvonne, will be setting up signs, tables, etc.

Attachments

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts

·
Read Only
1,277 Posts
That was a very nice article about Laurie's Opel. What a beauty :yup:
Sounds like a fun event, wish I didn't live so far away. Maybe one year I will just fly back and leave the Opel at home :sigh:
Have fun to all that attend and yes lots of pictures for us that can't go.
Dan

1 - 20 of 42 Posts