Opel GT Forum banner

Will You Attend

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dieter
After you mentioned it I looked the coat over again, it does look like the design could be moved up some. I need to go by the shop for some other stuff so I will talk to Dave about it. Nor sure if it's a set up thing.

I had encouraged Mel to let folks know what he had left to get rid of. Anyone else who has parts that need to find a new home, lets just post them on this thread. I happen to have a Sprint Manifold and a Ceramic Coated Header that could take up residence in another Garage.
I have an aggressive performance camshaft that I do not need or want. It was in my 2.0 engine when I bought it. I did not have the carburetor or the experience to make it work in my GT. It lopes and sounds mean but I just didn't know what it was at the time or how to tune it.

Bob Legere identified it as the following:

rallybob said:
The CR1 cam was a Cam Techniques F-290-8.

.435” valve lift, 242 degrees @ .050”, 288 degrees advertises duration, 108 degree lobe separation angle.

Not a racing cam, but healthy. Recommendations back in the day were: at least 10:1 compression ratio, 38 DGAS or bigger, ported intake, 2” exhaust with Sprint or header, big valve head. Requirements were a recurved distributor, deleted vacuum advance. Generally 12-18 degrees timing at idle depending upon compression ratio. Max 34-36 degrees.

Definitely required trimming the power valve spring.

Often required a drilled throttle plate for proper idle circuit function.

So not a ‘stock’ cam by any means. However I saw an 18 hp improvement in one of my engines using this cam, compared to a mild hydraulic.
If anyone is interested, I can let it go for $100 and I can bring it with me to Springfield.

·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Scott
I may have a side mirror that is useable. FYI Opels Unlimited had some reproductions, I picked one up one year at Carlisle. OGTS may have them also.

Picked up the Awards for Saturdays Participant vote today, We are now about two weeks out. Now if the weather will be nice to us.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Scott
I may have a side mirror that is useable. FYI Opels Unlimited had some reproductions, I picked one up one year at Carlisle. OGTS may have them also.

Picked up the Awards for Saturdays Participant vote today, We are now about two weeks out. Now if the weather will be nice to us.
Ive got one on my car but not what id consider the greatest. Ill check with OGTS

·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Got a nice package of goodies for the Auction Saturday the 28th from Gil at OGTS. Gil always tries to support the Opel events around the country. I would ask that if you get a chance please thank Gill for that support.

I also want to post some maps for those of you who will be attending the event. The first one will be how to get from the hotel to the staging area for the Cruise to Downtown on Friday Evening. Number 2 is how we will travel to Motor Heads for dinner Friday evening. Number 3 is the Route we will take from Downtown to the Dew Chili Pub & Grill on Saturday evening for dinner.

Attachments

·
Opeler
3,692 Posts
I have an aggressive performance camshaft that I do not need or want. It was in my 2.0 engine when I bought it. I did not have the carburetor or the experience to make it work in my GT. It lopes and sounds mean but I just didn't know what it was at the time or how to tune it.
If anyone is interested, I can let it go for $100 and I can bring it with me to Springfield.
I bought this cam from Scott. It is too big for 1.9/2.0 engine but it will be fine in my 2.5 engine.
I will not be in Springfield this year. Could anybody attending Octopelfest bring that cam for me?

·
530 Posts
Will be in Springfield with the Manta Luxus

I was excited to pick up my '73 Manta Luxus yesterday, repaired and ready to go from the neighborhood shop that works on cars new and classic, so we will be bringing it to Springfield. You may recall the horrible sounding knock it had developed two years ago in Springfield. Turns out a tiny piece of the carb had made its way into a cylinder, and after this was blown out, the knock disappeared. While in, Ron rebuilt the carb and took care of some aging hoses and fluids. So overall, much better news than I was anticipating. The carb rebuilt made a huge difference in drivability!

Marie and I will both be there with the Manta, and looking forward to seeing everyone again at both Friday and Saturday dinners, etc.! Registration for the show has been made, along with hotel reservation.

I accidentally didn't check "attending with an Opel" in the poll. Can I reset that?
Jeff W

·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Does anyone coming to the event have a good passenger side Seat Belt and retractor?

·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The event starts next Friday, so now is probably a good time to go over things for those who may not have been to the Mother Road before.
For those who may get in on Thursday, you can pick up your event credentials that day or check out the A. Lincoln sites around town.

Friday is the day folks more often arrive. This is also a good chance to pick up your event credentials. The official event Cruise from the Capitol Shopping Center to Downtown starts about 6:00 pm but to be anywhere near the front you need to be in the line up by 2:00 pm. People line the roads to watch the Cars go by as they drive to the downtown event site and park for the evening. There have been years when some of our Opels join the cruise but bail out as they near our Event Hotel. This allows them to get a taste of the cruise but also participate in the activities in the Hotel Hospitality room.
Also there will be a group of Opels leaving the Hotel about 6:00 pm to have dinner at Motorheads Bar and grill.

Saturday is our main show day. Those who wish to be a part of the Opel Convoy to the Downtown Opel Parking area are requested to be lined up on the Route 66 Hotel Parking Lot by 8:00 AM. When our group approaches the Downtown area, those who do not have their Event Credentials will need to pull over and get them while the rest of us drive to the North end of 6th street and park in front of the A. Lincoln Presidential Library. If you think you will arrive later in the day, let us know so we can save you a spot. A little secret those who have been here before know, you can slip in from the North at the intersection of 6th and Jefferson and walk down to get your credentials, thereby avoiding the hassles at the main gate. During the day our Opels will be rated by the Event Judges for the Official Opel Class About 4:00 pm we start our Participant Voting for Awards, Auction of parts and such, and Door prize drawings. After that it is off to dinner at Dew Chili on Dirksen Parkway and later to the Hospitality room at the Hotel. Do not feel like you have to bring an Opel to take part in any of these activities.

Sunday for most will be a travel day home. If you can stay we will meet on the Hotel Parking lot about 9:30 am and head downtown. The Show field will be less than half the day before but this is the day they give out the Event Opel Class Awards.
See you all there.

·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Something else to think about.

I went out to Eric Schmidts Opel barn today to remind him to join us on Saturday. While I was there I asked if he planned on being at the Barn on Friday, he said it could be arranged. Therefore if some of you are going to be here lets say before 12 noon maybe we could take a run up there and see his collection. He has about 10 GT's stored there plus misc. parts. I'll have to know before Thursday if we have any takers so I can let him know.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Something else to think about.

I went out to Eric Schmidts Opel barn today to remind him to join us on Saturday. While I was there I asked if he planned on being at the Barn on Friday, he said it could be arranged. Therefore if some of you are going to be here lets say before 12 noon maybe we could take a run up there and see his collection. He has about 10 GT's stored there plus misc. parts. I'll have to know before Thursday if we have any takers so I can let him know.
Awww Man!!! I would LOVE to see his collection. I can't get there in time. My wife has an annual event that she volunteers for and its always during every route 66. I can't get out of Paris until noon. Dang! Saturday before dinner??
I could ditch her in the morning and she could come my herself but that's not very husband like....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,405 Posts
OK, we've gone from taking the Miata, to the Mustang, to the F-150. All of the stuff is coming, so be prepared to sort through and take stuff home.

All parts are used unless indicated.

front bumperettes - original chrome
shifter boot - new
door bumpers (the small ones) - new
Brake rotors - front pair - new
Starter
windshield wiper motor
windshield wiper foot switch
mirror - driver's side
ignition coil - aftermarket chrome
Dome light cover - new
Opel service manual - 1973